Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,650 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to NH for a job in Warner, within the next 12 months. I am just starting to take a peek at the real estate listings, it would help to know a bit about the towns in the area.

We have lived in Central VT, so know what life in New England is like (Mud Season, Frost Heaves, how much snow happens, how big a cord of wood is, etc.)

I would love to find a town with a bit of "walkability" - a grocery store, decent library, decent schools, nice community to get involved in. We are not interested in living in a McMansion in the suburbs (we already do that, don't love it). In our off time, we love to hike, run, and bike (hubby is an active triathlete)... in the winter, we cross country ski and snow shoe. We will be looking for a house with at least 5 acres, hopefully a bit off the beaten path so that we can ramble about in the woods and have some chickens (we understand that a "downtown" may be a bit of a drive). We hope to find all of this within about a 40 minute commute from Warner for my husband.

Thank you in advance for any responses!

ETA: the commute, btw, can be in any direction... but preferably north or south to get us either closer to extended family in Central VT, or actual family in Rutland, MA. Then again, East gets us closer to the ocean...

Last edited by GreenMtnGirl; 05-28-2013 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 03:43 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times
why not live in Warner? It's beautiful. Finding a home with 5 acres near a walkable downtown is rare....but good luck. There's a nice home with almost 4 acres on Mason Hill. There are a couple of homes with more than 20 acres on Kearsarge Mtn road.

It all depends on what you're looking for.

Sutton, Sunapee, New London - all are an EZ commute to Warner.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,650 times
Thanks, Buck, we may. No place has been ruled out, at this point, except anyplace within a subdivision. Warner sounds like a nice place - my husband has obviously been, and likes it. I have yet to get there... soon, very soon. Walkability would be an ideal plus, but isn't the most important factor. I know how rare it is... and for us, ability for a nice ramble in the woods with our dogs is higher on the list. Just looking for all of the options.

I did also read this thread, btw.

Warner, NH?

Last edited by GreenMtnGirl; 05-28-2013 at 04:00 PM..

Old 05-28-2013, 04:22 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times
Warner is nice, so is New London. New London puts you a bit closer to VT and both are right on I-89. If you don't like McMansions stay away from Sunapee. Sounds like Eastman is also not for you.

If you want at least five acres you aren't going to be living downtown regardless of what town you pick.
Maybe look at Bradford and head to New London when you want your in-town fix?

Pillsbury State Park is a wonderful place to go cross-country skiing by the way. Worth a short drive in the winter for when you want something special. Just get off the main path quickly so you don't get mowed down by the snowmobilers.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:15 PM

611 posts, read 1,204,920 times
I think Warner has a nice little downtown area and right in the shadow of Kearsarge for hiking. I think you'll like it.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:06 PM

32 posts, read 72,754 times
If you are going to own real estate, my suggestion would be sutton instead of warner or bradford as it has lower real estate taxes. But I agree with lady fern, Warner has the best downtown of the three.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
You found a paying job in Warner, NH. How did you do that?

Old 06-08-2013, 07:06 AM

32 posts, read 197,941 times
If you are looking for a town with a Grocery store, then Bradford and Sutton would not be the place your looking for. But even in New London or Warner, "walkability" to a downtown area like in the bigger cities is unheard of. There are only 2 groceries stores in the area, 1 in New London, the other in Warner.
If you have Kids, the Regional schools are all right in Sutton which is great.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:08 PM

611 posts, read 1,204,920 times
I believe Sutton, Bradford, Warner, Springfield, Wilmot and New London are all part of the Kearsarge School District and share schools. I've seen some 4-5 acre lot homes close to downtown on the market. Taxes are higher in Warner than the other Kearsarge towns though. Congrats on the new job.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:11 PM

22 posts, read 44,328 times
My brother and his girlfriend live in Warner right now. They told me that the town of Warner has an exclusionary contract with TDS (internet). You can't get Comcast or any other ISP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire