Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 08:21 PM

80 posts, read 146,585 times

Advertisements

I am brand new to this site, but thought it would be a great place to help me out. We have lived in NH for 26 years and in the Upper (Connecticut) River Valley that whole time (Lebanon and Claremont.) My DH just got a job in the Concord area and the commute is too far, so heading east!

Unfortunately, Concord is over an hour away and I know very little about that city. I've visited a few times, but it is going to be hard to frequent the area enough to figure out the best places to purchase.

We are a family of 12, homeschoolers, and looking for some land. Of course, schools are not an issue, but we don't want to live in the higher property tax areas either.

We have looked north a bit and are intrigued with Tilton -- maybe Franklin, but are open to other areas.

The things we want to avoid is living right in the more urban areas (so south and southeast of Concord do not seem ideal.)

Any thoughts on surrounding towns? We have done some research and find that the following towns are out of the question due to their high property tax rates:

Bow
Canterbury
Deering
Derry
Goffstown
Henniker
Hillsborough
Mount Vernon
Northfield
Pembroke
Warner
Pittsfield

Telling us other areas to AVOID would be MOST HELPFUL! We would hate to be trapped in an economically struggling area or area that has a lot of political problems (like our current city, Claremont, does.)

Of course, we would consider the Concord city limits, but it would have to be a rural area -- we want, at least, a 1/2 acre of land.

Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 09:54 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,109,377 times
There are things to consider other than just the tax RATE. Houses in Franklin are assessed at high values. The equalization rate is 109%.

I'd stick with the higher tax rate and 100% or less equalization rate. IF your house is valued at $350K - the equalization rate would bring it up to $381K, so you pay a lot more in taxes.

You may be very happy in Hillsboro, Mont Vernon or Northfield. They are rural and you should be able to find a property with land big enough for a family of 12.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:24 AM

6,527 posts, read 6,679,323 times
Telling us how much are you willing to spend on a home would help us get an idea of a good town for your family to live in. Most of the "low tax" towns in the greater Concord area are really going to be towards the Lakes Region.

How far is your husband wiling to travel to work ? Will you need to find work ? The more info you give the better we can help.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:13 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,109,377 times
10 kids being homeschooled is a full time job, IMO. Yes, an idea on what you are willing to pay for a home also helps. Concord is pricey.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:31 AM

Thanks, everyone. Good info. on rates V. value (we deal with that in the Upper Valley.)

We would like to stay under $200,000. Maybe a dream, but not impossible (I've already seen a number of properties in the area in that price-range that meet our land requirements.)

We do not have to find work -- my DH got a good job in Concord. Yes, we'd love to be as close as possible to his work, but I expect we'll have to commute to get cheaper housing. He is willing to commute up to 20 miles, but only as a last resort.

Right now we are in the very beginning stages of research and are primarily concerned about getting into a nice area. Buying a house is nerve-wracking from a distance and the housing market/economy makes us even more nervous. There is nothing worse than being "trapped" in a bad area and losing money on your house!

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:53 PM

6,527 posts, read 6,679,323 times
Looks like Franklin, Northfield & Tilton are going to be one of your target areas due to your husband not wanting to travel more than 20 miles & the somewhat affordable property taxes in these towns.

Most of Concord itself is very expensive....so unless you find something special I doubt that's going to work for you.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:07 PM

26,386 posts, read 46,287,920 times
No, it does not really exist unless you broaden your search to cover rural areas further away from Concord. The vast majority of the towns have higher property tax rates compared to 5-10 years ago. Prices have fallen somewhat but fewer short sales and foreclosures are on the market so things have stabalized- yet at a higher price point. That is the short answer.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:55 PM

611 posts, read 1,200,905 times
What about Webster or Boscawen? Webster is around $18 and Boscawen $21. Neither is too far from Concord.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:25 AM

22 posts, read 48,804 times
I would also look at Weare, NH There are some good rural or private lots off the Rt 77 area on the north side of Weare. I lived there for a couple years..albeit, the southwestern side of town. taxes were low compared to many towns near Concord and Manchester. Would live there again. close to Concord and Manchester for all shopping needs.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:31 AM

Thanks again for the feedback! Here is a list of the lower tax rate towns around Concord:

Alton
Candia
Hill
Litchfield
Andover
Guilford
Hill
Litchfield
New Hampton
Tilton

Most of the other towns are between this and my previous list.

I do realize that property tax rates have gone up all over and am considering lower housing cost v. rate, but a high rate just sends up a red flag for us. It tells me that the town/city is big on spending and probably has other economic problems due to mismanagement and poverty (such is our experience here in Claremont.)

I DO think a property does exist for us within that 20 miles radius (if not in the actual city limits.) We see some options on the web already. I wonder if anyone can tell me any reason to AVOID the areas listed above -- or any other areas. For example, Franklin is a consideration, but I have gotten mixed reviews with the negatives being it is more economically depressed, more working class/poverty, and crime.

Tilton is at the top of our list -- and any rural area between Concord and Tilton. We prefer to go north or west more than east or south, but will not rule out anything.

It's possible that my DH would be willing to commute a litter further, but the benefits might start to be voided by the gas expense nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire