U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 06:14 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,811,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
I just took a friends Saturn S-Series, 146,000 miles on odometer to my local mechanic.

Previously, he had gone to one of those franchise shops such as Midas, Meinke, etc. and he showed me the printout of $1,400 of work that must be done to car.

My local mechanic looked car over and stated nothing needed to be done. took all wheels off and looked at brakes, etc. Except one front lug nut was missing. It seems that the Midas, Meinke, etc. shop had stripped the threads on one lug nut stem, stated nothing, and just put the other 3 lug nuts on. Never told customer of their mistake. So the only repair needed for this $1,400 estimate is a mistake that the franchise shop made and never told the customer.

Sadly, people with older cars, poor people especially, get taken for a ride at these franchise shops.
With any older car, these franchise shops want to replace everything. Just because it is old.
I don't think that's a fair statement. I have actually had worse luck with inspections at a small independent shop. Guy tried to tell me I needed an entire new exhaust system including a catalytic converter for my 7 year old truck. $$$$

Ended up bringing it to another shop and it simply needed a new muffler and a few welds to fix the exhaust system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 06:30 AM

2,163 posts, read 2,138,715 times
I originally brought my truck to Jiffy Lube for an inspection and it failed for a fog light being out. Moving back to NH I never thought optional equipment needed to be functioning properly so I called VIP auto service and they said yes it is supposed to be functioning but if that's the only thing wrong they would still pass it. Having already paid for an inspection at Jiffy lube I just replaced the bulb and brought it back but it just goes to show you that every place is slightly different in what they will and wont pass.

When I was a teenager there was a place in Weare NH that passed my car and the next week the brakes went out, lol. Other times they just asked what year it was, did a quick walk around in the parking lot and threw a sticker on it. Those days are over now though now that we have emissions tests

Old 05-20-2015, 08:26 AM

4,705 posts, read 4,819,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post

When I was a teenager there was a place in Weare NH that passed my car and the next week the brakes went out,

If the brake lines were not leaking at time of inspection it sure could have passed.
Go over a bump or such and the brake line could have sprung a leak. Or the master cylinder failed after inspection.
Not necessarily the fault of the inspection station. Brakes worked at time of inspection.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
I don't think that's a fair statement. I have actually had worse luck with inspections at a small independent shop. Guy tried to tell me I needed an entire new exhaust system including a catalytic converter for my 7 year old truck. $$$$

Ended up bringing it to another shop and it simply needed a new muffler and a few welds to fix the exhaust system.

This whole thread is about inspection stations.
Yes, whether chain/franchise or independent - many replace parts that are not needed.
The chains/franchise are just worser.
If you had a good experience at one, then great.
I have seen/spoken to way too many folks about all of these chains/franchise shops.
Sorry, all were not good.

Again, refer to my post on page one of this thread. Never had any issues that way.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:38 AM

2,163 posts, read 2,138,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
If the brake lines were not leaking at time of inspection it sure could have passed.
Go over a bump or such and the brake line could have sprung a leak. Or the master cylinder failed after inspection.
Not necessarily the fault of the inspection station. Brakes worked at time of inspection.
You are correct, however, when I say my brakes went I meant they started making a horrible noise...when I took the car in they had to replace my brake pads and rotors because they were shot. All I was getting at is that there used to be a place in NH that I could take my car to that would pass just about anything. The one thing they wouldn't pass a car for though was rust, I remember they were pretty strict on that one.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:47 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,538,721 times
This is a recommendation for an independent repair shop I have been using for over 30 years. They have NEVER told me to make a repair that was not necessary. They have never overcharged me for doing the work.

The name of the place is LBP Towing and Repair at 5 Auburn Road, just east of I-93 Exit 5, in Londonderry. They have a tall enough shop to work on large campers as well as mid size trucks and automobiles.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
You are correct, however, when I say my brakes went I meant they started making a horrible noise...when I took the car in they had to replace my brake pads and rotors because they were shot. All I was getting at is that there used to be a place in NH that I could take my car to that would pass just about anything. The one thing they wouldn't pass a car for though was rust, I remember they were pretty strict on that one.
And there still are. Good or bad for some.
Many decades ago, long before OBDII, just had over the fee.

And the rust, I had an old Ford pickup truck that had rust issues. On the body. And a place in Goffstown just put some of that metal duct tape over the rust. Supposedly it met the state requirement for metal.

Now none of my cars and trucks rust as I use oil undercoating or Fluid Film. My car is 18 years old without a speck of rust and my truck is 13 years old without a speck of rust. A good paste wax twice a year saves the outside finish.

I don't think that many of the younger generation even knows what paste wax is. They hear the word clear coat and that is the end for some.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:49 PM

9,599 posts, read 17,698,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
It is a frigan scam, its unbelievable. I purchased a pre-certified used toyota from an out of state dealer and when i brought it to get inspected in NH it failed for some BS...

last time i went to get my truck inspected, at a scam artist shop in north concord (dont fall for discount coupons) it failed for like 5 rediculous things, all the things it failed for the shop wanted to charge me big money to REPLACE, ended up bringing it to another shop and he is like yah we can just FIX that for MUCH cheaper.

SCAM all the way... You dont need proof of car insurance in NH but you need to get your car inspected by independent shop owners every year so they can SCAM you.

I dont dislike much about NH but this has to be one of the few things i very much so dislike.
The state of new Hampshire lets this BS happen. Unfortunately their are crooks everywhere.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:07 PM

136 posts, read 111,098 times
Provided that I find a honest and genuine mechanic, I would any day prefer state inspection in comparison to a higher insurance premium. That way our cars can be maintained well on a regular basis.

And IMO, NH system appears to be much better than what is there in RI. In RI state inspection is more rigorous than what is there in NH. On top of it insurance costs are high too. Only consolation is that the inspection needs to be done once in 2 years.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:22 AM

6 posts, read 4,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curidpostn View Post
Provided that I find a honest and genuine mechanic, I would any day prefer state inspection in comparison to a higher insurance premium. That way our cars can be maintained well on a regular basis.
In a perfect world this would be great but unfortunately a noticeable amount of the repairs done by some of these crackhead mech's aren't correct.
I'm only 27 years old and in the few years I've been on the road I have seen too many mistakes on mine and my friends cars already.
I've had an air filter placed back in the air box incorrectly and the filter media was torn.
1 of 4 spark plug wires not installed ( car ran on 3 cylinders until I decided to pop the hood ).
Lug nuts torqued so hard I bent a four way trying to take them off myself...none of the studs sheared but I decided to replace them just in case their tensile strength had been maxxed out.
Lug nuts too loose and the wheel started wobbling off the hub as my friend was going down the road.
Drain bolt on oil pan stripped and while friend was driving it came loose, lost oil all over road and killed the engine.
Rear axle seal replaced 3 times over 2.5 months. Part was warrantied so we only paid for labor after the first install but after the third time it still leaked so, we took the vehicle to a different mech and the seal is still ok 2 years later.

Also, I thought most other states insurance cost less because everyone on the road is required to carry insurance. NH is optionable unless you are high risk/alcoholic and are required to carry an SR-22.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire