U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2017, 12:25 PM

33 posts, read 29,255 times

Advertisements

When they check tires - what do they check for? I'm sure they check for tread. But do they check to see if the same size tires are on the vehicle that came with the car?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm moving there. Manufacturer say to use is 205/55/16. I'm using 205/60/16 because I got a better deal on those. Tread is more than fine.

????
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 05:04 PM

4,941 posts, read 5,027,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyball View Post
When they check tires - what do they check for? I'm sure they check for tread. But do they check to see if the same size tires are on the vehicle that came with the car?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm moving there. Manufacturer say to use is 205/55/16. I'm using 205/60/16 because I got a better deal on those. Tread is more than fine.

????
No. They don't check the tire size.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:28 AM

2 posts, read 226 times
I believe there is a conflict of interest involved in the New Hampshire mandated vehicle inspection policy. Most of the inspections are done by outfits who repair or sell cars. The relatively small fee is not enough to cover the time and disruption for many inspection stations, so they are reluctant to do it unless there is a chance for some added business. Therefore, it is often difficult for the driver to find and schedule inspections. A much better way would be to set up inspection stations run by the state. This would eliminate the conflict of interest on the one hand, and the low-profit disruption of normal shop business on the other hand. Fewer stations would be required, due to the efficiency offered by this specialized service. Although the fees charged would fund a good portion, to set this up would be a state budget item (not major, compared to other highway safety expenses), so if you favor this approach, please talk it up and implore your representatives in Concord to consider it.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diacad View Post
I believe there is a conflict of interest involved in the New Hampshire mandated vehicle inspection policy. Most of the inspections are done by outfits who repair or sell cars. The relatively small fee is not enough to cover the time and disruption for many inspection stations, so they are reluctant to do it unless there is a chance for some added business. Therefore, it is often difficult for the driver to find and schedule inspections. A much better way would be to set up inspection stations run by the state. This would eliminate the conflict of interest on the one hand, and the low-profit disruption of normal shop business on the other hand. Fewer stations would be required, due to the efficiency offered by this specialized service. Although the fees charged would fund a good portion, to set this up would be a state budget item (not major, compared to other highway safety expenses), so if you favor this approach, please talk it up and implore your representatives in Concord to consider it.
No one likes Big Government in the state of New Hampshire.

Please read post#2 and that explains all.

Get you car in tip top condition BEFORE any inspection and you will be fine.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 226 times
unit731-

Your post#2 is good advice if your "good honest mechanic" is available to pre-inspect your car. Sometimes (especially as you go north), finding one is difficult. Furthermore, usually working mechanics are attached somehow to companies (or are self-employed) with an interest in repairing or selling autos, so in the majority of cases I stand by my observation about conflicts of interest. In any case, based on hourly rates, this might cost more than the final inspection. Perhaps a retired mechanic or a mechanically-inclined relative would fit the bill.

Additionally, how would you resolve a positive finding of the "good honest mechanic" against a negative finding by a private inspection station? I doubt if the independent mechanic would prevail, and would probably be reluctant to contest the matter.

Providing state inspection stations is hardly Big Government. Not even of the creeping kind. It would save money for everyone due to the efficiency of handling this matter in a neutral place with one mission, unattached to any suspicion of private interests.

Naturally, if your car is already in top condition it will pass inspection. Most of us think so before we get it inspected, or we would not be wasting our time. Thinking so is not enough as I myself have found on occasion; inspection might show problems we did not even think of. Seems like that is why we have inspections at all.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:53 PM
KCZ

1,603 posts, read 823,527 times
Another No vote on government run inspection stations, or anything else that involves sending money to Concord and not keeping it in local communities.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diacad View Post
unit731-
Your post#2 is good advice if your "good honest mechanic" is available to pre-inspect your car.

Additionally, how would you resolve a positive finding of the "good honest mechanic" against a negative finding by a private inspection station? I doubt if the independent mechanic would prevail, and would probably be reluctant to contest the matter.
Granted. Some work 2 jobs, have a family, and might even be going to night school - so time to find a good honest mechanic may be daunting.

But use the resources at hand. The local barber shop and/beauty salon usually have people that can provide names of good local honest independent shops. Next would be a pastor/priest of any church or place of worship. Even a visit to the town hall and ask the town clerk or building inspector - as they know almost everyone in town. Many resources to find a good independent honest shop.

EVERY independent shop is usually also an inspection shop. So there will be no issues of one shop stating opposite another. The important thing IS to ask the vehicle be inspected FIRST stating no intention of an inspection sticker. Yes, this cost a half hour labor to look at the vehicle. You are not getting an official inspection at this point. If there are problems get them fixed.

A simple story could be that I want to have my car inspected as I am selling car and wish to find out any issue before sale. If there are problems - get them fixed. If no problems then just ask for an inspection sticker right then and there. ASSUMING that there are no warning Check Engine lights on the vehicle. If there are no Check Engine lights on then vehicle passes that part of the inspection process. Then you are done.

Simple Summary.
Get car inspected BEFORE the official inspection. Then if all passes mechanical parts - just state that you want a sticker at this point. If issues are apparent get them fixed there or anywhere.

Always find a good honest local repair shop first. They are out there.

Every time I go to my local mechanic shop for an oil change I ask them to check the suspension and breaks. At my shop it doesn't cost a nickel extra for a visual check. So I keep ahead of any potential problems. I also build up a relationship with the local mechanic shop. I even purchase all of my tires at the local mechanic/shop. I might pay a few dollars more for tires but the shop always remembers me as a good customer. Those folks who go to quickylube to save 10 bucks on an oil change only get bitten in the end when inspection time comes.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:12 AM

Another note.

In New Hampshire one can register their car 3 (three) months ahead of time. You don't have to get an official inspection sticker until the old one expires. That give everyone 3 months to get their car looked at/reviewed/assessed - before the official sticker inspection month.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:07 AM

2,199 posts, read 2,184,439 times
I love NH but think auto inspections in this state are a big scam. As others have indicated, I wouldn't bring my car to get inspected if I didn't think it would pass. This year I fixed everything on my car that needed to be in order to pass inspection, brought it to one place that provides free inspections to veterans and they failed it. They said that the front brakes were close to being out of limits and estimated the cost to be $350. They also said the front left control arm was bad and that was going to be $495 to repair. When I asked to see these items they said they had already pulled it out of the shop.

I ended up changing my own front brakes for under $50. Even though they weren't out of limits yet, I decided I should just do it. I looked at the control arm and there was no play at all.

I then drove it to another mechanic, that charged me, however, it passed with the exception of a taillight that I know was working, but I guess they had to make a few dollars off of me.

Another thing that drove me nuts this year is that my wifes car is 1 year old and has less than 2000 miles on it, one inspection place told me the inspection itself would take upwards of an hour. I walked out and went somewhere else. The other place looked at the mileage, did the emissions test and put a sticker on the car. I was out in 15 minutes. WHat is there to inspect on a new car?

When I lived in NJ, a new car came with an inspection sticker for I believe 5 years and the inspections were free of charge. This inspection was for the car and had nothing to do with the owner or their birthdate. That car could change ownership 5 times within that time period and it would have only been inspected 1 time, which was at the dealer before the first owner took possession.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:52 AM

8 posts, read 2,719 times
I found that getting it inspected at a different car manufacturer then the car that is being inspected works perfect.

I brought my Mitsu to the VW. Granted the back tires needed replacing and they failed me on that but nothing else. I HAD the tires at home but had not put them on yet so....

Also took my son's Toyota to the same VW dealer, passed no questions asked.

ALWAYS check the tail lights right before you go in...... I use an outside Mall store window, that way you can see it for your self in the reflection .

MA is on a computer system and have weeded out a ton of bad stations (various reasons for bad). But they never fixed the Passenger Diesel truck inspections, so I sold my truck last year and bought another electric.......no emissions ;P

The people I have found that complain about even Getting their car inspected are the ones that have crappy, usually non-passing, cars. Those cars shouldn't be on the road and Safety is the main reason...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire