U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 06:56 AM

4,710 posts, read 4,830,711 times

Advertisements

The state of Florida has no inspections. And they seem to get along just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 AM

19,122 posts, read 21,376,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I've always thought that the car inspection thing was perfectly set up for scamming. My wife is from New Hampshire and that was really my first time hearing about car inspections. I am glad we don't have them here in Michigan. I suppose that's one area where we are outpacing NH in "living free". And also possibly in "dying," if one of our non-inspected cars has a wheel fall off or something.

The only way that "big brother" can bother us about our vehicles is if something is visibly unsafe or broken, in which case it is possible to be pulled over and given a "fix-it" ticket. Other than that, we are very much left alone when it comes to what we are driving and what repairs we choose to make or not make.
NH is not about living free..... not the way you put it..... which is more like living for free. We have a high cost of living here...

Most cars here do not need to be inspected, and are kept up for the most part. I used to be a car tech and when I was first doing inspections the stickers cost 50 cents and when i got out of it the stickers cost 5 bucks.

These days the state leases and only leases a computers that plugs into OBD II and samples the last 30 minutes of every car that gets plug in, what ever that time was the state knows it.

I highly disagree with the DMV needing to be ARMED. These are couch potatoes with guns.

NH has more LEO types and more LEO per person than any other state. That's ok but they should have a lot of cake sales and earn a living from what ever it is they do, because they SUCK at protecting anyone from anything.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
The state of Florida has no inspections. And they seem to get along just fine.
Yup but they used to had inspections and I was a state tester down there once too. Back then they had state garages to test and most compact cars failed the brakes test brand new off the show room floor and 10 wheel dump tricks had a bad time too, stopping a roller drum.

Many states have given up state inspection and nothing bad has happened of it.

The cops can still pull you over for defective equipment. NH has gone full blown nanny.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:20 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,849,791 times
Revenue enhancement.

This article sums it up nicely.

Do car inspections make Utah safer?

Old 06-14-2013, 12:05 PM

4,710 posts, read 4,830,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
Revenue enhancement.

I wonder.

How much does the state of NH actually get.

The ones making out on this deal is the private computer contractor that leases the hardware (computer) and software.

The garage - shop - dealership - gets paid for the actual inspection.

The private vendor gets money for printing up the stickers.

So how much does the state of NH actually get? And is it all worth it. Why not the Florida model?

How much does the state of NH actually net?

Old 06-14-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
I wonder.

How much does the state of NH actually get.

The ones making out on this deal is the private computer contractor that leases the hardware (computer) and software.

The garage - shop - dealership - gets paid for the actual inspection.

The private vendor gets money for printing up the stickers.

So how much does the state of NH actually get? And is it all worth it. Why not the Florida model?

How much does the state of NH actually net?
The state gets a token fee for each sticker and 50 bucks a month for each computer lease from any and all shops that have one. Most shops hate having these as they take up space.

Go see, and you will find these systems are covered in filth..... That is telling.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:10 AM

15,912 posts, read 10,965,840 times
How to determine tire age....

Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire

Before you buy new tires make sure you check the age of the tire.

Every tire has a manufacture date. Some older tires have the code inside.

Some debate about the safety of 'old' tires and what causes tires to deteriorate without showing outward signs.

At any rate some stores will have new tires sitting around for years. Always ask to see the tires age. Don't recall the exact 'acceptable' age but believe it is less than a 18 mos. The newer the better. Good bargaining point on tire price the older the tire manufacturing date.

Cracked side walls are an indication of a tire that needs to be replaced.

Check out the tire age guide attached here and the next time you go to a tire store or a mechanic, bring up the fact that you know how to decode a tires age. It will make the unscrupulus guys a bit more cautious about dealing with you..who knows whatelse you might know!!

This knowledge is low hanging fruit and is as good a defense against unscrupulous mechanics as wearing Mr Colt's equalizer on your hip.

Friend went to an oil change place to have his oil changed ..of course. He normally works on his cars but for whatever reason he decides to go. Well he just put on a specific brand air cleaner a week before. While he is waiting the guy comes out with a dirty air cleaner and tells him he needs a new air filter. That didn't turn out well for that shop.

Mom took her car to a national tire place for tires. She had 8,000 miles on a 10 yr old car and they convinced her the relay rod needed replacing.

Trust there guys as far as you can throw them, be forearmed with some basic knowledge and don't let go if one of these guys tries to cheat you. You will be saving someone else from the thieves. Of course don't jump the gun and accuse everyone of cheating you....that's another thread.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:04 AM

9,326 posts, read 18,985,830 times
So can anyone suggest an ethical place for state inspection?

Old 06-16-2013, 12:03 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,575,969 times
I am aware of two in my area that I trust. Both are one-man operations. If you want specifics DM me. I am in the Dartmouth-Lake Sunapee region. Both of these guys may not pass you on the first try but they will not rip you off either.

Stay far far away from any kind of chain or franchise.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
So can anyone suggest an ethical place for state inspection?
No Idea where you are but Tice's in Tamworth is a fair shop. They will not screw around with their customers. They have come back customers, and run a shop the way i did. I go there for stickers only.

I do a walk around before i go and I know things will pass before i get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire