U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 08:44 PM

9,307 posts, read 11,142,948 times

Advertisements

Stupid question but can you renew tags at your local town but not get an inspection sticker? (Car would be out of state).
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 08:59 PM

9,307 posts, read 11,142,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
How to determine tire age....

Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire

Before you buy new tires make sure you check the age of the tire.

Every tire has a manufacture date. Some older tires have the code inside.

Some debate about the safety of 'old' tires and what causes tires to deteriorate without showing outward signs.

At any rate some stores will have new tires sitting around for years. Always ask to see the tires age. Don't recall the exact 'acceptable' age but believe it is less than a 18 mos. The newer the better. Good bargaining point on tire price the older the tire manufacturing date.

Cracked side walls are an indication of a tire that needs to be replaced.

Check out the tire age guide attached here and the next time you go to a tire store or a mechanic, bring up the fact that you know how to decode a tires age. It will make the unscrupulus guys a bit more cautious about dealing with you..who knows whatelse you might know!!

This knowledge is low hanging fruit and is as good a defense against unscrupulous mechanics as wearing Mr Colt's equalizer on your hip.

Friend went to an oil change place to have his oil changed ..of course. He normally works on his cars but for whatever reason he decides to go. Well he just put on a specific brand air cleaner a week before. While he is waiting the guy comes out with a dirty air cleaner and tells him he needs a new air filter. That didn't turn out well for that shop.

Mom took her car to a national tire place for tires. She had 8,000 miles on a 10 yr old car and they convinced her the relay rod needed replacing.

Trust there guys as far as you can throw them, be forearmed with some basic knowledge and don't let go if one of these guys tries to cheat you. You will be saving someone else from the thieves. Of course don't jump the gun and accuse everyone of cheating you....that's another thread.

Some good info but most tire stores today only stock quick moving inventory and rely on ordering from sources like tire rack, UPS delivered in a day or so. Days of tires sitting on racks collecting dust are long gone if the shop is remotely busy.

Oil change places rely on aggressive sales tactics to increase profits, you didn't think they existed on a volume business based on $14.99 oil changes right?

Best oil change story: I had an acquaintance that owned a quick lube shop in an area full of retirees (lots of hassle, lots of ignorance and tough to get them to spend money......after all "I'm old, car will out last me" was a common response). He is pulling a car in one day, the client grinning through the lobby window ear to ear. Guy pops the hood, yells "special on lane 1" (odd because I never have heard "special" yelled out before). Pulls down the oil reel, puts it near the oil cap (never removes the cap) and holds it there for a few seconds (note, no compressor noise, nothing is flowing here). Checks the stick, customer comes out and drives away. When I questioned, WTF was that, he responded the customer was bringing in a free oil change coupon from when the shop opened 10 years earlier. Customer got no receipt (proof anything was done) and clearly had never been there before (in 10 years, otherwise he would have already used the coupon!) and actually didn't get anything done.......I just laughed, the guy was grinning like he was going to get something for free and he ended up getting nothing but his time wasted.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:50 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,574,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Stupid question but can you renew tags at your local town but not get an inspection sticker? (Car would be out of state).
The town doesn't do inspections, all they do is collect taxes and as a courtesy renew your tags (for a fee of course). I'm frugal enough that I pay the taxes at the town clerk and then go to the local DMV to get the sticker. After that it's off to get the inspection done at a garage.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:20 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,367,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I think so, but you would want to notify the town your car is out of state. You would want a letter from the town stating you have x days / time to get the sticker after the date you get the car back in the state.

Out of state cops don't know what the sticker should look like in the first place, nor will they care.

But when you get back they sure will. I was away 10 months and my regi expired during that time.

I paid that up upon my return and got bagged 12 times on my way to the sticker garage You get 10 days I had 9.5 days to go.....

This is state revenue what the cops are really for The town will have a say.... too.

I bought a van in Arkansas while i was away doing a motorcycle tour. I bought a big enclosed trailer for the bike too. It is just about impossible to buy a vehicle and register it when you are not in your home state.

I had to lie and create an address, then I found I was stuck in Arkansas because you don't get any plates for 30 days. They just drive around with NO PLATES for 30 days. I mean nuthin! No paper temp tags zilch!

That figures since Bill Clinton was governor huh?

I didn't trailer my bike places first... We rode it from NH to C al, Cal to Fla, Fla to Ok and AR then we trailered it there after as we pleased.

I had to renew my NH pistol permit while I was in Ar too, that was a feat.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:15 PM

809 posts, read 1,270,843 times
We've been lucky. Our cars (a 2005 and a 2008) have never failed an inspection and we have taken them to different places every time. Some independent shops, a dealer and some big boxes. Last one we paid $14.95 at Midas in Seabrook for the 2005 and it passed without issues.

We do take care of our cars, that might be the reason.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:44 PM

2,490 posts, read 4,788,978 times
I never go to a place that does work that an inspection might uncover. It is a conflict of interest for Midas, Meineke, Pep Boys, etc. to do inspections when they also do the work. I go to the Valvoline oil change place on rt 101A in Nashua (near Target). They can't do any repair work (tires, brakes, ball joints, etc.)

Old 06-18-2013, 06:12 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
Be careful about getting oil changes at some of these places. Loose, cross threaded or missing oil plugs are not all that uncommon.

If you live near Londonderry LBP Towing on Auburn Road near x-5 on I-93 is a good reliable shop. They also repaid motor homes and other over size vehicles.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:29 AM

2,490 posts, read 4,788,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
[font=Verdana]Be careful about getting oil changes at some of these places. Loose, cross threaded or missing oil plugs are not all that uncommon.
Agreed. I change my own oil...

Old 06-18-2013, 11:36 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
I did at one time but disposing of the oil has become a real PIA. So I pay LBP to do it and inspect the underside of the car for anything loose or broken.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:13 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,849,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Be careful about getting oil changes at some of these places. Loose, cross threaded or missing oil plugs are not all that uncommon.
+1

Add wrong oil filter to the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire