U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:55 PM

10,683 posts, read 17,057,327 times

Advertisements

Some people here would disagree Just Rolled Into the Shop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 05:02 PM

39 posts, read 34,250 times
This may be idealistic but make a bill to stop the inspection and spread the word with social media . Alaska did it a few years ago and the darndest thing happened it passed !!

Old 04-19-2015, 05:22 PM

4,731 posts, read 4,855,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buel08 View Post
This may be idealistic but make a bill to stop the inspection and spread the word with social media . Alaska did it a few years ago and the darndest thing happened it passed !!

Florida also - no inspection.

Anyone remember the Carl Drega affair?
He was pulled over for "rust" on his pickup truck.
Yes, it had a very sad ending.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:02 AM

39 posts, read 34,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Florida also - no inspection.

Anyone remember the Carl Drega affair?
He was pulled over for "rust" on his pickup truck.
Yes, it had a very sad ending.

I just google "Carl Drega affair" you are saying that chase was caused by a rusty truck ?

Old 04-20-2015, 03:45 PM

3 posts, read 3,104 times
Default Check Engine Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
I'm not sure why that system is actually a good thing.

"It belches green smoke and oil floods out in a stream, but hey, I spent $500 on it so it's all good!"

Not sure it's the state or public's fault if you have a lemon. Unfortunately cars go bad, whether from lack of maintenance or wear or bad engineering.

Does it suck for you? Absolutely.

Presumably you've already considered getting a 2nd opinion. Also, if it's not under warranty I'd tend to choose a mechanic who wasn't working for the dealer, since you'll almost always pay more going through them.
The thing is, if they hooked it to an emissions sniffer, it would register as having zero bad emissions. Its just the check-engine light, and that simply wont go out. My system is fine except for this stupid light. The computer keeps throwing random, unrelated codes that change every hour. I would need to spend thousands more if the computer wont stop sending bogus codes. This is a complete injustice upon the people of NH, yet no one cares.

I make $22,000 annually in disability. I cant do this, and this is wrong!

Old 04-20-2015, 03:48 PM

3 posts, read 3,104 times
Default Check Engine Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Antique vehicles that are 40 or more model years old are inspected every 2 years, antique motor vehicles manufactured prior to 1949 are exempt from all inspections requirements.

The failed House Bill 387 would have changed the inspection frequency to 2 years, but doubled the cost of the sticker (to $6.50) to keep the bill revenue-neutral. Service station owners, predictably opposed the bill, and HB387 was ITL'd.

Nobody is saying you can't voluntarily pay your mechanic for more frequent inspections, but the current system makes money for repair shops, so is unlikely to change:
Gary does not even understand the dif between a safety inspection and the emissions requirements. If he DOES, he's intentionally blurring the distinction. If so, I'll call him on it in the press.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:13 AM

140 posts, read 112,713 times
I recently moved to NH. Is it possible to "pre inspect" a car in NH before subjecting it to actual car inspection? I have a 98 Camry and I'm not quite sure if it would pass or fail the inspection. The car is in good condition and doesn't have check engine lights on.I recently had my timing belt, and oil pump replaced.

But the car doesn't have one of the airbag working on passenger side and the widow on driver side doesn't get down. It is currently registered with CT and in CT only emission test is required to register.

If I can pre inspect and know that it'd pass, I'll go ahead with NH registration. Otherwise I can sell the car in CT through some of my friends. I really don't want to sell it, but if I need to spend a lot of money to get this car passed, I'd skip it and go for new car.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:41 AM

2,168 posts, read 2,147,135 times
curid, you can always take it to a shop that does inspections and ask them to do so, granted you will have to pay but they will be able to tell you if it will pass or not. If it would pass and you decide to register it you would not have to pay for a re-inspection if you take it to the same shop.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:47 PM

485 posts, read 1,094,648 times
start here: Inspections and Emissions | Registration | Division of Motor Vehicles | NH Department of Safety

Old 05-06-2015, 07:14 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,625,513 times
I just went to a motorcycle dealer to make an appointment to have my Burgman scooter inspected (all motorcycles have to be inspected in May in NH) and, instead of making an appointment the dealer asked if I needed any other work. I said no and he said bring it in. $25 and 10 minutes later I rode off with an inspection sticker and properly inflated tires. The folks at Nault's in Manchester have always been very cooperative.

My cars are done in July and August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire