U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 12:17 PM

140 posts, read 112,426 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations for a reliable local mechanic in Merrimack/Nashua area who can inspect as well as take care of regular maintenance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 07:00 PM

4,727 posts, read 4,848,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curidpostn View Post
Any recommendations for a reliable local mechanic in Merrimack/Nashua area who can inspect as well as take care of regular maintenance?

I hope someone local can answer your specific question.

What I did when moving to a new area - I went to the local barber shop and asked. Or local hairdresser/beauty salon. Member of a local church or place of worship. Ask locals who know.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:53 PM

I got this shop through Google - Auto Care Plus - Where Trust is a Tradition.

They have very good reviews. Anyone knows anything about this shop?

Old 05-10-2015, 12:06 AM

812 posts, read 922,378 times
When I lived in NH I used Darlings. Auto repair services in Manchester NH - Darling's Tire & Auto Center

Honest, reasonable, and trustworthy. I had brought my car in for a tune-up, and was prepared to pay however many hundreds I thought it would cost. Went back that afternoon to pick up my car, and they said there was no charge. I had kept up with the service schedule, and they said they could not find anything that needed to be serviced. They topped the fluids and gave me a "no charge" bill.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:46 PM

795 posts, read 534,757 times
I am wondering how much does an inspection cost and does it include DEQ? Department of Environmental Quality or something on that lines. Here in Oregon we do not have car inspection just an emissions test. Every two years when you renew your registration. I know some older cars are exempt but not sure what year that is.

When I lived WA we had to use my ex's friends address because his truck would not pass the test, something with the catalytic converter. I don't remember how much it was but at that time you paid a tax when you registered your car based on the year. We don't have that in Oregon as a matter of fact we have no sales tax.

What is the rate of sales tax in NH?
Thanks

Old 05-11-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
I am wondering how much does an inspection cost and does it include DEQ? Department of Environmental Quality or something on that lines. Here in Oregon we do not have car inspection just an emissions test. Every two years when you renew your registration. I know some older cars are exempt but not sure what year that is.

When I lived WA we had to use my ex's friends address because his truck would not pass the test, something with the catalytic converter. I don't remember how much it was but at that time you paid a tax when you registered your car based on the year. We don't have that in Oregon as a matter of fact we have no sales tax.

What is the rate of sales tax in NH?
Thanks
No sales tax in NH in general. However we need to pay 9% tax on open food items (in restaurants for eg.) and 10% while renting a car.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:00 PM

795 posts, read 534,757 times
Thanks curidpostn.

We don't have any open food tax but i think there is some kind of tax on car rentals and hotels also have a tax. I think it depends on where you are.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:47 AM

I took my car to nearby mechanic who had good reviews online. He did a high level assessment from inspection perspective and has given a ball park between $600-$1000. I think I need to make a call as it's a pretty old car.

I have weak knowledge on cars. Does anyone know how much it'd cost to fix a window that isn't working? I know it depends upon the type of issue. But I just need a worst case estimates.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:28 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,144,610 times
Quote:
I took my car to nearby mechanic who had good reviews online. He did a high level assessment from inspection perspective and has given a ball park between $600-$1000. I think I need to make a call as it's a pretty old car.

I have weak knowledge on cars. Does anyone know how much it'd cost to fix a window that isn't working? I know it depends upon the type of issue. But I just need a worst case estimates.
If you don't care if the window isn't working you can always call around and ask places if they would pass a car without a properly functioning window. Its a hit or miss but some places are willing to let things slide. Now you would have to pay for the cost of the inspection again but it would be cheaper than repairing your window.

When my truck failed because a fog light was out I called around and there were a few places that said they didn't care and would have passed it but for the cost of another inspection it was cheaper for me to just replace the bulb.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:01 AM

4,727 posts, read 4,848,185 times
Quote:

Well, you should have read my first post on page 1 of this thread.
If this car is an older rust bucket, well, you may indeed need these repairs.
You can get the repairs done anywhere if your car was rejected.
About your window. Is it a power window? If so, it could be a simple switch. It could be the main switch on drivers door or the switch on window that does not work. OR it could be that the motor at that window is broken. They don't replace the electric motor anymore, they replace the entire motor and frame. The cost of part is about $130.00 and then labor to install it. If this is a crank window, the part cost will be less. But labor about the same. You can find the switches at any salvage yard or online auction site. The plastic switch just pops out with a screw driver and there is an electrical plug. Just unplug it and plug in new/used switch.

I have never had windows checked in any inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire