Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 05:24 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellirish View Post
Govt vehicles are not required to subject themselves to inspection...hmmmmm...see why I'm mad??
No, not sure why you're mad.

You're assuming it's hypocrisy, perhaps, but in general Gov't vehicles undergo regularly scheduled maintainenance by Gov't mechanics. The state police for example use this bureau: Fleet Maintenance and Equipment Supply, Support Services - Division of State Police, NH DOS

In short, all the maintenance is not only done in-house but tracked and audited.

Having those vehicles also inspected by an independent shop would by and large just be an inefficient waste of tax dollars that they'd likely hike your taxes to pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 09:03 AM

611 posts, read 1,204,463 times
Agreed. We have bought several former government vehicles at auction. In general, the interior is rough as the drivers don't own the vehicles or care about any damage to them, but mechanically they have been sound. With a couple of them we had the records of maintenance and it was well beyond what most owners would do to their own vehicles. Lowellirish, gov't vehicles in Washington don't pay for car tabs each year either, what's the difference here?

Old 03-15-2015, 08:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I have my vehicles inspected not only for the sticker but every time I have the oil changes. The mechanics at the shop have spotted things that , if left to break, would either have been very expensive to repair of created a major safety hazard. Inspections by a skilled mechanic are money well spent.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:34 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
I cant say many good things about NJ but the inspections there were a lot better. A brand new car came with a 5 year inspection sticker from the dealer. After that, or you bought a used car over 5 years old it then only needed to be inspected once every 2 years. Inspections were free, they only checked emissions, and if I inspected my car today and sold you my car tomorrow that inspection sticker was good until it expired because after all an inspection sticker is for the car not the owner, right? lol.

Moving to NH my truck failed because the driving lights didn't work? Really, I don't even use them. Yes its the law, they need to work so I fixed them but what a waste. I did find some places that would pass it without them working but I had already paid for my other inspection. WHat really gets me is if I inspect my car today and sell my car tomorrow the new owner must re inspect the car even if it has only been a few days since the last inspection?? Again as I said before the inspection sticker is for the car not the owner, right?

Old 03-18-2015, 10:50 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
Moving to NH my truck failed because the driving lights didn't work? Really,

Yes really. Most states that I have lived in that would have failed as well. Inspections laws require that the vehicle be properly equipped and that all equipment be in good working order.

WHat really gets me is if I inspect my car today and sell my car tomorrow the new owner must re inspect the car even if it has only been a few days since the last inspection??

Now that's a new one on me. I've never had that, but never owned a car in NH. Everywhere else I've been, VT, ME, WV, NC, NY to name a few, the inspection sticker was valid until it expired as long as it stayed on the original vehicle.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:40 AM

3 posts, read 4,037 times
My 2010 VW is being rejected for emissions codes (check engine light) that I've pumped $1000 into already, and the dealer want $2000 MORE to not even guarantee the problem will be fixed. All I can do is apply for an extension. I'm 54, permanently disabled and did not even have the $1000 I've already thrown into the problem! So I'll have a 2010 car that I bought for dependability, that I'll not be able to drive soon. This is not right!!!!!

Old 04-06-2015, 11:45 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob357 View Post
My 2010 VW is being rejected for emissions codes (check engine light) that I've pumped $1000 into already, and the dealer want $2000 MORE to not even guarantee the problem will be fixed. All I can do is apply for an extension. I'm 54, permanently disabled and did not even have the $1000 I've already thrown into the problem! So I'll have a 2010 car that I bought for dependability, that I'll not be able to drive soon. This is not right!!!!!
That was one other thing about NJ I have to say was a plus... if your car failed emissions and you attempted to get it fixed, as long as you provided receipts that showed you invested over ($500) I think to get the problem fixed and it still failed they would pass your car. I have a friend who is a cop in the local area and he even told me that in NH if your car fails emissions its easier to just get rid of it.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:04 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
That was one other thing about NJ I have to say was a plus... if your car failed emissions and you attempted to get it fixed, as long as you provided receipts that showed you invested over ($500) I think to get the problem fixed and it still failed they would pass your car.
I'm not sure why that system is actually a good thing.

"It belches green smoke and oil floods out in a stream, but hey, I spent $500 on it so it's all good!"

Quote:
My 2010 VW is being rejected for emissions codes (check engine light) that I've pumped $1000 into already, and the dealer want $2000 MORE to not even guarantee the problem will be fixed.
Not sure it's the state or public's fault if you have a lemon. Unfortunately cars go bad, whether from lack of maintenance or wear or bad engineering.

Does it suck for you? Absolutely.

Presumably you've already considered getting a 2nd opinion. Also, if it's not under warranty I'd tend to choose a mechanic who wasn't working for the dealer, since you'll almost always pay more going through them.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:38 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Unhappy Failed House Bill 387: two year inspection cycle

Antique vehicles that are 40 or more model years old are inspected every 2 years, antique motor vehicles manufactured prior to 1949 are exempt from all inspections requirements.

The failed House Bill 387 would have changed the inspection frequency to 2 years, but doubled the cost of the sticker (to $6.50) to keep the bill revenue-neutral. Service station owners, predictably opposed the bill, and HB387 was ITL'd.

Nobody is saying you can't voluntarily pay your mechanic for more frequent inspections, but the current system makes money for repair shops, so is unlikely to change:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UL
Gary Rondeau of Hooksett who services mostly Volvos said suspension, ball joints and mostly tires are critical to a safe automobile.

He called annual safety inspections a necessity, noting many people do not mean to operate unsafe vehicles but they do.

“To support this bill is ludicrous,” Rondeau said.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:36 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
Car inspections are a scam. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire