Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 08:59 PM

4 posts, read 34,160 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking into the possibility of moving up to NH roughtly this time next year. Currently we live outside of Baltimore, MD, though I am actually from Scotland having lived here for two years. We are looking to find somewhere safe and clean to raise our little boy, who is 1 right now, and his future siblings. We have done a 'wee' bit of research into NH and it looks to have the kind of safe, clean and firenyl environment we are hoping to find (plus it more like scottish temperatures for me too!!!).

Having looked a thte housing and job markets, we have found a little affection for the town of Hillsborough (or hillsboro - as some seem to spell it). But I would like to hear from people that know this town or even better actually live there. Schooling is important. I'd like our little man to have the opportunity to go to a good school, drug free and ganster free preferably - again anotehr reason to look at NH, which has excellent crime ratings compared to some of the other states - especially the one we currently reside in.

Anyway, if anyone is kind enough to help us with any information it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks people.

Gavin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 11:26 PM

4,422 posts, read 5,152,830 times
Nice town, although you might want to look at Peterborough, the downtown has little more to offer, and the schools are just as good.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:38 AM

951 posts, read 1,655,211 times
I agree with UrbanQuest. I found Hillsboro to be just, well, OK. It's a little on the low income/blue collar side. It just didn't have an attractive presence. It was on an early list of places for me, but I quickly crossed it off. It just didn't click with me. Petersborough, on the other hand, has seen a revitalization over the past couple of years. I found the downtown to be friendly and easy to shop. There seemed to be a bit of a buzz going on about the town. It was kind of refreshing. I did not like the grocery store in town (Stop and Shop), it was a bit unkempt. There may be another one to shop at, but I didn't find it. Otherwise, it's a pretty cool town. Hope this helps.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:04 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
Hi Gavin,

We nearly bought land in Deering (which is next door) and since all the shopping and ammenities would have been in Hillsoboro, we ot to know our way around it a bit.

One of the nice things about Hillsboro is that it's also closer to Concord and Manchester if you need bigger city stuff. Actually Peterborough isn't all that far from Hillsboro either - our agent used to work in Peterborough though she lives in Antrim, she said it was only a few minutes drive.

Our real estate agent works out of Hillsboro, she was great if you need anyone in the area. (if so, just DM me).

Old 11-11-2007, 07:10 AM

104 posts, read 467,158 times
If you want a nice town, look at Antrim, next door! It is part of the ConVal School System (HS in Peterborough,15 min. south) which is very good. We have reaised our kids here. Left briefly and came back! The Elementary and middle schools right in town are GREAT! Hillsborough/Deering school system doesn't have the greatest reputation. Especially if you want your child to have access to a variety of higher-level courses in HS. But it is improving as more people move to the area. Maybe by the time your little guy is in high school it will be better.

Also, Antrim s just the right size, not too big, not too small, has a nice downtown with restaurants, stores and plenty of community spirit and events. Compared to PB it is much more affordable. Peterborough is generally very liberal and artsy-fartsy, if you like that scene. I don't, that's why I like Antrim. PB is a nice place to visit, but I don't feel i'd ever want to live there. To me it has a snobby feel to it and lots of rich people, as does Hancock, even though they're beautiful! Hillsborough has a Walmart going in beginning this spring and to me it has less of a "small town" community feel to it. But it does have some beautiful areas and affordable property!

Old 11-11-2007, 07:37 AM

71 posts, read 339,416 times
My Grandmother came from the highlands of Scottland when she was a young woman, and I used to live in Hillsboro.....it's NOT the place you want to move to.

I used to work for Sylvania and lived on Mill st. (most of the town works at Sylvania) When I was there, there was no grocery store accross the street and they had just continued the by-pass so you didn't have to drive through town. I will say it's a quiet town, but you really don't see the people and what its like until you live there. There are some people that have NEVER left the town for anything. There is a little Gossip paper that you really don't want to be published in as everyone will know your business, and they will come out of the woodwork to let you know about it. The people there are very nosy and all about being in your business. If your not participating in their "click" then they will make it a point to let you know they don't like you. The town is situated in such a way that it's in its own little world.... it's about 30 minutes from Concord, and Manchester.

If you are looking for a town thats great, clean and a wonderful place to raise children, I would recommend Weare, Goffstown, Pinardville, Deering or any other town except Hillsboro. When I moved out from there 5 years ago, I never looked back. I'm not trying ot be negative about the place, as I know everyone is different, but spend a few days there and the town will speak for itself.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:54 AM
jfn

1 posts, read 6,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_homes View Post
My Grandmother came from the highlands of Scottland when she was a young woman, and I used to live in Hillsboro.....it's NOT the place you want to move to.

I used to work for Sylvania and lived on Mill st. (most of the town works at Sylvania) When I was there, there was no grocery store accross the street and they had just continued the by-pass so you didn't have to drive through town. I will say it's a quiet town, but you really don't see the people and what its like until you live there. There are some people that have NEVER left the town for anything. There is a little Gossip paper that you really don't want to be published in as everyone will know your business, and they will come out of the woodwork to let you know about it. The people there are very nosy and all about being in your business. If your not participating in their "click" then they will make it a point to let you know they don't like you. The town is situated in such a way that it's in its own little world.... it's about 30 minutes from Concord, and Manchester.

If you are looking for a town thats great, clean and a wonderful place to raise children, I would recommend Weare, Goffstown, Pinardville, Deering or any other town except Hillsboro. When I moved out from there 5 years ago, I never looked back. I'm not trying ot be negative about the place, as I know everyone is different, but spend a few days there and the town will speak for itself.
lol

Thanks for all of the kind words. This town isn't for everyone, and it's definitely blue collar, closeknit, and clicky. If that's not for you, then I'm glad you've moved on. Personally, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, and I've spent time in every part of the country.

JFN
Hillsboro, NH

Old 02-02-2008, 08:03 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times
I have some property on Washington Road in Hillsboro. It's very similar to Scotland, in that it's rough and craggy and hard to farm. The views are wonderful! No cable...big downside.

I also found an entire hidden community LOL... thought there were a couple of summer camps up on the hill, and found out there were roughly 50+ "summer places", out of view.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:07 PM

9 posts, read 40,291 times
Default Take a peek at...

If you are looking for good schools I would shy away from Hillsborough. I've lived in this area since the age of 9 and there are just some towns that are not as desirable as others and it would be hard to know which is which unless you live here.. it's tricky! Personally I would nix Hillsborough, Antrum & Bennington. Maybe try Peterborough (can be a bit snobish, but has a lot of fun stuff for kids!), Dublin, Hancock, Harrisville (nice, old new england town!) or Nelson. Just my local opinion! Good luck!

Old 08-16-2010, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,964 times
How does Hillsboro NH look for 2010 and forward? We are a family of 3 and are looking to moving this fall to Hillsboro and thus far have had lots of mixed reviews; we are wondering what is the truth and is Hillsboro a great town to live and raise kids in or is it not. Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire