Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:17 AM

16 posts, read 35,201 times

Advertisements

Hi All

After a lot of struggle and waiting, we finally found a home in the area that we wanted. The home looks nice and beautiful, though it needs some minor repairs and maintenance. But now the problem is the home is in a wooded lot... There are around 15 skinny trees on both the sides in the front yard and there is one big tree on the backyard. My agent asked if we liked the home and we said yes. She said if it was her, she would'nt buy the home as she hates a wooded lot. We will have to give an offer today but we are bit skeptical about it... What if we are plannin to sell it off after a few years and somebody just like my agent comes to buy it and backs off because she doesnt like the wooded lot... I am thinking about that... Is it ok to buy a home like that?? Also my agent says that if its a wooded lot, the dampness would be more... What does that mean?? Does that mean the house cant be maintained in a good condition?? Is there a chance that the house can be affected by termites and bugs?? Also the home has an unfinished basement... Even if we finish the basement, nothing can be done there because the basement is in an L shape and there are motors and pipes in it... We cant make it a family room.. Will people be ok in buying a home with an unfinished basement that has no much space also. Can we cut the trees in the yard if we dont want them?? How much does it cost?? Please help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 11:09 AM

123 posts, read 247,661 times
adult decisions will get you every time. learn how to make one first, then buy a house.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:18 AM

If I had known tht, I wouldnt have landed myself here...

Old 07-26-2013, 11:33 AM

223 posts, read 732,304 times
I'd like a wooded lot. Much more appealing with sme trees than just flat & barren.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:54 AM

Thanks 4 d reply Jeepin4us...

Old 07-26-2013, 01:21 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,078 times
I would think it'd be a problem for 50% of future buyers and coveted by the other 50%. Its just a matter of taste. I'd love it for the privacy and beauty, but would fear all the bugs. lol OP, if you love the home and the wooded lot doesn't bother you and you like it, buy. I wouldn't base it on a future sell. If I were younger and had young kids, the wooded lot would sway me to buy a home I loved. Good luck and just realize buying any home is stressful. I have no clue about this, but is it possible you could make $$$ selling the trees?

Old 07-26-2013, 01:34 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Have the trees pruned and that could improve sunlight coverage down to the yard. Trees add value to any property regardless of what ONE real estate agent thinks.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:36 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
If you are worried that the house has too many problems, before you buy, get a good reputable "home inspector" to do a good and thorough inspection of the house. It will cost several hundred dollars but may save you alot of grief. And yes you are allowed to cut trees on property that you own.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:25 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
Just because she doesn't like a wooded lot doesn't mean the next person won't. She shouldn't be giving her opinion on what you like. She's not buying the house, you are. She should just be happy she's getting paid in this economy.. A lot of people move to NH for peace and quiet so odds are more people would prefer the privacy vs those who want to wave to their neighbors.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:34 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Odd questions and more odd real estate agent.

Best to hire a real good home inspection service. That you pay for. Not the bank. You.
Water tests and radon tests may be extra.

If there are any signs of water in basement past or present find another house.

Not knowing where you are looking - do check that cable is available - and cell phone service.

Most want a home with a yard that is clear of trees. Not all though. Some wish to be nestled in the woods hidden from the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire