U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 05:25 PM

9 posts, read 13,217 times

Advertisements

Hi, guys and gals! I've been lurking for several months trying to educate myself on the Granite State. My wife and I have pretty much decided it is the place for us to go. We are from Louisiana. We are tired of spinning our wheels here. I won't harp on the hopelessness of trying to get ahead here-- trust me, it's not my kind of place! Corrupt government, high crime, pitiful economy, bad schools, sweltering summers, giant mosquitoes, ever present threat of tornadoes. I want out!

My question is about where to locate-- My wife is a caseworker/supervisor. In short, she is a liaison between the State of Louisiana and care provider agencies that provide funding for elderly and/or disabled individuals. Basically, she coordinates the care for her caseload and supervises other caseworkers under her. I don't even know where she could find work doing that (or something related). She has her Bachelor's in Psychology.

After spending my twenties in the Air Force and then as a radio DJ, I have found myself in nursing school. Didn't see that one coming. But it did. I should graduate in December. After working here in LA for a year or two, gaining experience, we look to move up to NH. That's where my cluelessness begins...

Where would be some hot spots for us to find work in our respective fields? We have a five year old who will need a decent school. Lots of things to consider... I hope I'm asking the right questions. I look forward to participating here and learning more!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 05:30 PM

2,997 posts, read 5,076,653 times
You'll probably want to stay coastal IMO so its not such a culture shock. There are parts that can be very very rural or have big towns surrounded by nothing. Dover and Exeter are nice towns, Merrimack is pretty also. Whats you're budget? That's helpful to know..IMO I wouldn't go much further than Concord (mid state) winters can be harsh , especially being used to hot southern summers and warm winters.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:39 PM

Thanks, Sweetbottoms! Hard to give a solid budget number-- for what she does here, salary websites say she will make about double that in NH. For me, as a LPN, I will make a modest 35-50K a year, depending on where I work. I do know the cost of living in NH can be high, but you get what you pay for-- as for a culture shock, I'm not sure I know what you mean-- how will we, as people from the South, be received? Between her past living in Alaska and my four years spent in California (military), we love moving around and meeting folks from different walks of life. And I agree with wanting to feel out the winters. My baby boy says he wants snow. We rarely get it here-- he may get more than he can handle once we get up there!

Old 07-27-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Badger View Post
Thanks, Sweetbottoms! Hard to give a solid budget number-- for what she does here, salary websites say she will make about double that in NH. For me, as a LPN, I will make a modest 35-50K a year, depending on where I work. I do know the cost of living in NH can be high, but you get what you pay for-- as for a culture shock, I'm not sure I know what you mean-- how will we, as people from the South, be received? Between her past living in Alaska and my four years spent in California (military), we love moving around and meeting folks from different walks of life. And I agree with wanting to feel out the winters. My baby boy says he wants snow. We rarely get it here-- he may get more than he can handle once we get up there!
With moving around a lot then perhaps not as much shock but I guess that just depends on where one lives.. New Englanders are a hardy bunch with a crass sense of humor (I married into an entire family of New Englander's and took me years to get them).
I had experienced major shock when I moved there from S. Fla to SW NH, so much so I left. IMO coastal was a bit more open to outsiders because of places like Hampton Beach, Portsmouth etc they have an influx of visitors so I also found much more to do, winters are long and frigid so being close to some kind of population might make it more bearable, especially with a kid who might end up stuck inside for days. I didn't realize how much snow you could get (almost 170+ inches the year I moved there) and for how long (Oct to Mid may). Coastal's winter wasn't as harsh and didn't last as long. Seems like a plus to me.
More mid to western NH are settled towns with a lot of long term family residents living there and not as many "outsiders/flatlanders" and particularly north of Concord that's a lot of just open land with a town here or there. Also I think perhaps pay might be more on the coast but cost of living is also higher. Taxes are VERY high so check town taxes before you settle. Its not uncommon for taxes on a home to be $5-$6K +...... I didn't have the warmest welcome coming from the south but we chose a town very far in the state, almost near Vermont and I found the attitude out there to be completely opposite of what was on the coast.
Another shock (for me at least) was some towns didn't and don't have cable or internet. Keene NH is considered the 3rd biggest "city" in NH (but its really just a town by most state standards) and when I moved there in 07 they had just received high speed internet and cable still wasn't available outside the downtown vicinity. I had had both for at least 10 years prior to moving to NH so to hear the police department just got off dial up in 07 was stunning to me. Coastal won't have those issue.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:34 PM

Aha! So you're a transplant to NH? You're perfect for me to discuss this with, then! I guess I should definitely focus on the coast, eh? At least early on. That's good to know. I hate that they didn't make you feel welcome right away. I'm looking for a place to take pride in. To call my home for life. Northeast Louisiana isn't it! I live in West Monroe, LA (if by some chance you've ever heard of it). I would like to make a trip up, maybe in the Spring, as a reward for getting through this schooling. We'll have to see if that's feasible. All the facts and figures and other research make it look like Heaven on Earth. Would be a shame to be met with native resistance. lol We're quite friendly. And we like good beer. We will buy everyone a round as a show of good faith once we arrive! lol

Old 07-27-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Badger View Post
Aha! So you're a transplant to NH? You're perfect for me to discuss this with, then! I guess I should definitely focus on the coast, eh? At least early on. That's good to know. I hate that they didn't make you feel welcome right away. I'm looking for a place to take pride in. To call my home for life. Northeast Louisiana isn't it! I live in West Monroe, LA (if by some chance you've ever heard of it). I would like to make a trip up, maybe in the Spring, as a reward for getting through this schooling. We'll have to see if that's feasible. All the facts and figures and other research make it look like Heaven on Earth. Would be a shame to be met with native resistance. lol We're quite friendly. And we like good beer. We will buy everyone a round as a show of good faith once we arrive! lol
Former transplant.. I left after 11 months. Did not have a good experience and I'm trying not to project that in the post. So imo if you want to avoid the very negative things I experienced (is all a personal experience tho so mine could be completely opposite of yours) I'd go more coastal and stay away from "mom and pop" towns where everyone knows everyone and everyone is related to everyone so you're not the "outsider" I knew something was wrong when I said I was moving to Keene NH and I got the "why you going way out there, haven't been out there in 30 years" speech

Old 07-27-2013, 06:47 PM

I gotcha... yeah, if the internet isn't up to par, that's a dealbreaker! If I can have high speed in podunk Louisiana, then they should have it EVERYWHERE! My hobbies include internettin' and internettin'.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:48 PM

3,844 posts, read 3,808,926 times
There is a VA hospital in Manchester, NH and one in White River Junction, Vermont (across river from Lebanon, NH and Hanover, NH). Dartmouth Hitchcock Hospital is also located in Lebanon, NH next to Hanover, NH.

If you are a medical professional I'd start with one of those three hospitals.
The VA hospitals do have programs to hire veterans.

Good Luck!

Old 07-27-2013, 06:58 PM

That's a wonderful idea, Unit! I didn't even think of that! Thank you!

Old 07-27-2013, 08:45 PM

64 posts, read 103,959 times
One word of advice about Dartmouth (DHMC), do not even apply if you have anything less than a Bachelor's degree. I had three years experience in a level 1 PICU, with trauma and open heart surgery experience and, even though the website listed ADN as an acceptable alternative, I was told I did not qualify. That job posting stayed on the site for over a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire