Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 12:06 AM

7 posts, read 11,222 times

Advertisements

We are "half backs" living in North Carolina looking to move back to New England. We are currently looking at the town of Derry, NH and would like some honest information about the area. I've read a lot of posts where people try to dissuade others looking to move to NH because it's cold......we know it's cold so you can leave that out. My husband is from Caribou ME and I from western Mass so we are aware of how cold it can be.

We are looking for a family friendly area, great schools, recreational activities, a sense of community, (friendly people, shops, community activities, sports.... that sort of thing). Should we continue to look at Derry or is there another town close by that fits the bill? I'd like to be around an hour or less from Boston and not too near the ocean, (we lived in FL and went through a hurricane so living near the ocean isn't at the top of our list)

Can someone give me an idea of what utilities will run for an 1800 - 2200 SF house? I understand that property tax is 5-7K for a house this size, correct?? Any other costs that we might not be expecting?

Also, which areas of town should we look at?

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 12:50 AM

6,546 posts, read 6,703,323 times
Look at Londonderry or Windham. The property taxes in Derry are too high IMO.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:51 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,938,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamominnc View Post
We are "half backs" living in North Carolina looking to move back to New England. We are currently looking at the town of Derry, NH and would like some honest information about the area. I've read a lot of posts where people try to dissuade others looking to move to NH because it's cold......we know it's cold so you can leave that out. My husband is from Caribou ME and I from western Mass so we are aware of how cold it can be.

We are looking for a family friendly area, great schools, recreational activities, a sense of community, (friendly people, shops, community activities, sports.... that sort of thing). Should we continue to look at Derry or is there another town close by that fits the bill? I'd like to be around an hour or less from Boston and not too near the ocean, (we lived in FL and went through a hurricane so living near the ocean isn't at the top of our list)

Can someone give me an idea of what utilities will run for an 1800 - 2200 SF house? I understand that property tax is 5-7K for a house this size, correct?? Any other costs that we might not be expecting?

Also, which areas of town should we look at?

Thank you!!!
My husband grew up right outside Caribou in New Sweden :-). I don't recall Derry having a lot to it, we passed through a few times. If you're willing to pay that in home taxes then I'd try Exeter.. Its an hour from Boston, pretty and safe and you'll be closer to the things you might need.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:31 AM

22 posts, read 39,448 times
We recently moved up here from NC.

We looked in Derry, it seemed like a nice community, close to ammenities, with an excellent high school. We ultimately crossed Derry off our list b/c of the very high tax rate. We were looking at similar sized houses, and they were closer to 10K, if not a bit over, in taxes.

We landed in Auburn (around 15-20 minutes to Derry). Taxes are much lower, we get the great Pinkerton HS but we are finding we need to drive 15 minutes to get to anything. Not a big deal, but takes some planning to run all the errands at once. We are only 45 minutes to the ocean though !

Old 07-28-2013, 12:18 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,677,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
My husband grew up right outside Caribou in New Sweden :-). I don't recall Derry having a lot to it, we passed through a few times. If you're willing to pay that in home taxes then I'd try Exeter.. Its an hour from Boston, pretty and safe and you'll be closer to the things you might need.
Are you talking about Derry NH?

Old 07-31-2013, 05:47 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,119,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natenalex View Post
We recently moved up here from NC.

We looked in Derry, it seemed like a nice community, close to ammenities, with an excellent high school. We ultimately crossed Derry off our list b/c of the very high tax rate. We were looking at similar sized houses, and they were closer to 10K, if not a bit over, in taxes.

We landed in Auburn (around 15-20 minutes to Derry). Taxes are much lower, we get the great Pinkerton HS but we are finding we need to drive 15 minutes to get to anything. Not a big deal, but takes some planning to run all the errands at once. We are only 45 minutes to the ocean though !
Auburn is being phased out of Pinkerton. Manchester Central hs is where they will go. Derry is also close to the beach taking back roads through Hampstead. Derry has a lot to offer. The SportZone complex was a huge improvement for activities.

taxes may be higher than the OP suggested, We were at $10K ten years ago.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:56 PM

22 posts, read 39,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
Auburn is being phased out of Pinkerton. Manchester Central hs is where they will go. Derry is also close to the beach taking back roads through Hampstead. Derry has a lot to offer. The SportZone complex was a huge improvement for activities.

taxes may be higher than the OP suggested, We were at $10K ten years ago.

That is incorrect. Auburn has signed a deal with Pinkerton for student to attend there beginning this coming school year for the next 20 years. Just long enough for my kids to graduate.

About - Pinkerton Academy

Old 08-01-2013, 05:17 PM

I stand corrected. Auburn has about 3K HS students. They had a lottery system that allowed 15 - 20 students to attend Pinkerton while the rest attended Manchester Memorial.

The new Auburn/Pinkerton contract lasts for 20 years, but has the option of being reviewed every year. It's not locked in for 20 years.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:10 AM

oops, that meant to say 300 or so HS students in Auburn - pretty sure Auburn only has roughly 5K residents - there are more ducks in the duck race

if Auburn, Candia and Hooksett can get their act together on a Regional HS, contracts will be voided - it should happen soon, property taxpayers can not afford the foolish lawsuits that continue to abound

Old 08-09-2013, 08:50 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,395,674 times
I sure wish they would get their act toegther buck. I can't afford private school and I really don't want my kids going to high school in Manchvegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire