Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:58 PM

49 posts, read 150,930 times

Advertisements

So, I just moved to the Upper Valley/Dartmouth area with my family into a single-family home (rental). Can someone please explain to me how the whole winter heating oil works? Do I need to set that up now or just call when I need oil? Currently my oil tank is full. I don't know how long it is supposed to last me, the tank can hold 275 gallons. We have a family of 5 (3 young kids) and our house is about 1500 sf on one level with a finished basement adjacent to where the oil tank/furnace is (landlord said we would barely need to have heat on in the basement as it gets plenty warm down there and is well insulated since underground). It's baseboard hot water radiator heat.
I've never lived anywhere with a serious winter or with this type of heat setup so I know nothing!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 09:41 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,901,735 times
Is there a sticker on the Tank or Furnace? The company that been filling the tank, 'knows' (more or less) the oil usage for that house. You can call them and put it on Auto-Fill, they calculate the burn rate, and come by and fill it when its down to about 1/3 full (ish). (The burn rate is factored by number of degree days, (that house heat loss rate, and how hot you like to keep it).

Or you can just call one of the heating oil delivery company when you need a fill, and in the next few days they will come by and fill it.

You will need to make a path for the delivery guys in the snow to get to the fill point.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:28 PM

4,555 posts, read 5,607,375 times
Most people will sign up for auto-fill. Even so, keep an eye on the level; sometimes you can end up using more fuel than calculations suggest and run low before a scheduled delivery.

Quote:
Can someone please explain to me how the whole winter heating oil works? Do I need to set that up now or just call when I need oil? Currently my oil tank is full. I don't know how long it is supposed to last me, the tank can hold 275 gallons
Unlike propane, you don't have to have a contract with a provider and automatic fill service, but most people find it's easier that way. You usually get a discount, plus if you run low unexpectedly, a fuel company will usually provide an emergency delivery, without a surcharge, for their auto-fill customers. Worst case, you can always run down to the gas station and load up on diesel fuel.

Alternately, you can just call when you need oil. Like other tanks, not all the 275 gallons is usable capacity, and the indicator is neither linear nor particularly accurate, but there's usually a minimum delivery volume, so it can be tricky to know when to order. There are a couple of websites that track Heating Degree Days (HDD) by location, I keep a spreadsheet with the date, amount filled, and HDD since last fill, mostly to get a feel for savings from various measures (reprogramming the thermostat, insulation, wood stove, etc). By knowing the HDD since your last fill, you can make a good estimate of gallons burned and usable gallons remaining,without relying on the guage.

Quote:
You will need to make a path for the delivery guys in the snow to get to the fill point.
If you're on a private driveway, you need not only a path to the fill point, but the roads and your drive needs to be clear enough for them to safely get the massive oil truck close enough to run the hose. This can be a problem when we have a lot of ice on the roads, another reason not to cut your fill cycle too close.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:41 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,867,781 times
Agree with above.
Set up automatic delivery.
Might check with landlord. Find out what person/company does any repairs if a breakdown.
With any/all you most likely will have to fill out an application with credit check.
And as stated above, someone will have to shovel a pathway to fill pipe on house.
Set up way before heating season.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:50 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,514,945 times
We also heat with oil but have steam radiators. We have never used the auto delivery as their can be a variety of prices offered and we prefer to fill as needed and pay the lowest price. If you do this, keep an eye on the tank dial so you don't run out. Also be sure to have the burner cleaned once a year and it will run more efficently.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:27 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,101,871 times
switching dealers frequently can run you into trouble - dealers can refuse to take you on as a customer

shop around, talk to your neighbors, and set up a service now

A good many of us supplement w/wood or alternative heat because oil has become so dear. A study was done that indicated the average home uses 850 gallons of oil per winter season. Although your tank is 275 gallon, a fill is usually around 225-230 gallon. Thinkin' there is always some in the bottom that can't be reached, plus air space at the top.

I installed a pellet stove and ended up using only one tank of oil last year for hot water. The stove was efficient and economical.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:53 PM

49 posts, read 150,930 times
Thank you! We do have a fireplace, not sure how much heat it will give off but we'll see. I am not looking to spend a lot of money on pellet stoves, etc as we will only be here for 2 years- and have no idea where we'll go next. I will start asking and calling around this week!

Old 08-04-2013, 04:46 PM

324 posts, read 710,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbahopeful View Post
Thank you! We do have a fireplace, not sure how much heat it will give off but we'll see. I am not looking to spend a lot of money on pellet stoves, etc as we will only be here for 2 years- and have no idea where we'll go next. I will start asking and calling around this week!
If you have at least an 18" chain saw and NFS ($5-7 ea) permits, you can cut firewood. It must be dead/downed timber, not live. I think the earliest you can cut is late August in most parts of the Northern USA.

Figure on at least 8 cords of wood. That's 8x4x4' = 1 cord. With a fireplace you can supplement your oil heat, keeping it reasonable. That's the cheapest way. If you purchased split wood from a supplier - it will cost $$$$. Avoid face cords - that's 8x4x1.5' - it's a cheat cord.

Don't worry about stacking it - they will dump it on the ground and you just tarp it. If you want to air dry it a little - put pallets down and restack the wood - good fun & exercise for the children.

I start cutting this week in the Yukon and will have my 20 cords completed by October.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:26 PM

4,555 posts, read 5,607,375 times
A standard fireplace is a very inefficient way to turn wood into heat, an "insert" or freestanding wood stove gives much more usable heat for the same amount of wood. There are also retrofit systems to install a pellet stove to the fireplace flue.

With a standard fireplace, burning wood is usually more about ambiance than about reducing your heating bill.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:11 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,867,781 times
The original poster is renting.

Hazard to guess that not going to spend funds on any wood stoves and such.

Some fireplaces are constructed for heat. But yes, not too efficient.
Don't think that renters would get into the wood thing.

Better option is to close off the fireplace. Not let any inside heat escape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire