Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 06:19 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,397,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
My 11 year old daughter was attacked by a pitbull earlier this spring. The dog ran passed the owners, out of their apt, crossed onto private property and tore her up. Required a trip to the emergency room and many stitches. If I was there I would have shot the dog dead on the spot.

I've got NO PROBLEM with dogs. We have 6 of them and they will tear you up - on command or if you're trespassing.

Do yourself a favor and get rid of that dog. They really are unpredictable

I certainly hope you got a good lawyer and filed a lawsuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 07:31 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,974,789 times
Most New Hampshirelandlords know about this case. Smalltime landlords may not.

Most landlords will not rent to folks with dogs. Period. If you find the exception - then take it.

Just about every renter with dogs will state that their dog is different. A sweatheart.

Statistics show otherwise. Any and all dogs can and will bite undercertain circumstances.

The informed landlord will not rent to pet owners. Mistakes on a hardwood floor alone would eatup the security deposit. Never mind the scratches on a $600.00 front door including the trim and molding and then there is the back door..

Note below. The landlord did not allow dogs. But the court case stated that the landlord "should" have known that a renter was violating the rental agreement.

2.1 Million Dollar Jury Verdict For Dog Bite Case

A few years ago Carol Roland walked into Ed Van Dorn'slaw office with a problem. She had been hospitalized after being attacked by apit bull. Her medical bills were over $30,000 and she didn't have any money or medical insurance to pay them. The owner of the pit bull didn't have any insurance or money either. Later we found out that the landlord of the building where the attack happened knew that there were dangerous pit bulls on the premises but did nothing to remove them orprotect tenants and visitors from attack. We contacted the landlords' insurance company and explained we felt the landlord was responsible and should help with compensating our client with her losses. The insurance refused to pay any voluntary settlement so we filed the law suit. Attorney Ed Van Dorn presented the case to the jury and after a 4 day trial in the New Hampshire Federal District Court the jury awarded Carol $2,100,000 as compensation for all her losses.

LINK

Yep, it was the landlords fault !

Old 08-25-2013, 07:55 PM

196 posts, read 275,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
They have the same jaw structure as any dog. My German shepherd has more bite rh
an a pit.

I was going to respond to that, but then I remembered that you compared dogs to black people - and changed my mind

Old 08-25-2013, 08:06 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,692,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedme View Post
I was going to respond to that, but then I remembered that you compared dogs to black people - and changed my mind

What I was saying is it is wrong to discriminate against a dog based only on its breed and it is wrong to do the same based on color of skin

Old 08-25-2013, 08:24 PM

9,067 posts, read 6,294,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedme View Post
Quote:
What I was saying is it is wrong to discriminate against a dog based only on its breed and it is wrong to do the same based on color of skin
Eh, I think dog breed and human ethnicity would be better for comparison. After all Black Labs and Golden Retrievers are very similar although different color fur.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:50 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,145,744 times
Quote:
No. A pitbull is NOT a giant pug dog and should never be treated as such.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:45 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,692,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. A pitbull is NOT a giant pug dog and should never be treated as such.

Who said they were?

Old 08-27-2013, 11:43 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,939,087 times
It is NOT wrong to 'discriminate' against a breed--in fact, knowing what is typical temperment and behavior for ANY breed is key for ANY owner! KNOW what you are getting into! So many people make the WRONG choice in getting a dog, just because of the way it looks--whether because it LOOKS cute & cuddly, or mean & aggressive, or because it was in a Disney movie... Pit bulls CAN be great dogs, in the hands of the RIGHT owner, but it's not typically a good choice for a 'first-dog I ever owned' sort of breed.

Every owner needs to be aware of the built-in traits that come with any breed, especially for those that have been bred TO BE DOG-AGGRESSIVE (but not necessarily people-aggressive). This unpredictable behavior that we've seen in the breed for the past few decades is from all the wrong people breeding them--if you see a litter advertised on craigslist, you can be almost certain that they're not breeding to better the breed, but to better their wallet... It's not just pit bulls, they are just the one that makes the news because when things go wrong, people can be seriously injured. At one time, the bully breeds were known as one of the safest to be around children, but sadly, no more. Think of all the breeds that have had mental and physical health ruined by backyard breeders out to make a buck AND the misguided owners who have no clue how to deal with the overpowering instinct of even a well-bred dog, and the knowledge to know what is 'normal' for a breed, and what is a perversion that could mean serious trouble for the person or pet who is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Every breed of dog has been bred through the years to have specific traits, and whether it's hunting, herding, retrieving, guarding, fighting, or simply warming the hands of it's owner, these traits are ingrained into the very fiber of their being, and you can't just cuddle those tendencies out, even with all the best intentions...he once super-sweet Cocker Spaniel, the super-smart and now slightly psychotic Border Collie, the cute little sheltie, barking constantly and nipping the heels of guests in a mis-guided attempt to do what their little brains are telling them to do. Dogs need to do what those instincts tell them to do...

Note to the op: it's difficult to find a rental that will allow an indoor cat, never mind a pit bull. My best advice to those who want to own 'aggressive' (or misunderstood, or difficult to handle or otherwise difficult to rent with) breed, here's what to do: wait until you can afford to own a home, and don't make the property owner out to be 'the bad guy' because they chose not to rent to those with these breeds. If something goes wrong, it is the PROPERTY OWNER that gets sued, not the dog owner. And someday if/when you own a rental unit, YOU can make the choice as to the level of risk you chose to rent to: smokers? dog owners? It'll then be YOUR choice...

(Stepping off my soapbox now...)

Quote:

Old 08-30-2013, 12:18 PM

88 posts, read 251,654 times
Quote:
Why don't you just get ride of your children? Pitbulls are wonderful dogs that have been given an unfair bad reputation. Rules banning pitbulls are like rules banning black people in an apartment.....crazy
I agree! As a dog owner, the dog only knows what it is trained to do regardless of the breed. I know a few people with pitbulls and my kids (who the dogs were unfamiliar with) would play and hug them. Yes, I was nervous at first, but I did not allow that until we saw the dog's demeanor before. Actually, the pit bull is quite a big baby on the inside!!

Old 08-30-2013, 12:21 PM

88 posts, read 251,654 times
Note to the op: it's difficult to find a rental that will allow an indoor cat, never mind a pit bull. My best advice to those who want to own 'aggressive' (or misunderstood, or difficult to handle or otherwise difficult to rent with) breed, here's what to do: wait until you can afford to own a home, and don't make the property owner out to be 'the bad guy' because they chose not to rent to those with these breeds. If something goes wrong, it is the PROPERTY OWNER that gets sued, not the dog owner. And someday if/when you own a rental unit, YOU can make the choice as to the level of risk you chose to rent to: smokers? dog owners? It'll then be YOUR choice...

(Stepping off my soapbox now...)[/quote]

I do have to agree with Valerie's final statement here about property owners too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire