Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 04:33 PM

49 posts, read 108,923 times

Advertisements

I thought NH was going to be the perfect place to live. Fewer regulations than where I currently live, no sales tax, no state income tax and supposedly a friendly biz climate. Now, I'm not so sure.

Case in point - I've been looking for a long time at properties in NH. What I find odd is that farms that have been so for hundred years or more, may not remain that way. One real estate site Farms & Barns Real Estate NH Horse Property and Farms for Sale said I should check with local code officials to see if the land will remain as it is. SPACE: New Hampshire's Current Use Coalition

If it's not in the disclosure statement, I guess then I need to do my due dilegence, as the real estate firm won't. It's very confusing.

What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 01:50 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Not sure what your question is.

Best to explain more.

Current use in New Hampshire is a program - voluntary - to place ones raw land - in current use. Taxes are then lowered. Current use has many restrictions though. Minimum acres required.

In selling or purchasing raw land - either one - buyer/seller - can take that raw land out of current use - for a fee/premium.

Zoning. Many/most cities and towns have incorporated zoning. Zoning boards. Planning boards. Restricting what one can do with their property. Some/few towns have not adopted all of this yet.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:27 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
The goal of SPACE: New Hampshire's Current Use Coalition is to encourage open land and farms. If you keep undeveloped land pristine, or use the land for farming, you get a significant tax break, with the stipulation that there is a one-time "change fee" if you ever want to pave it over or build houses on it.

So Current Use is all about preserving farms and undeveloped spaces, not about stopping farming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by induchman2 View Post
Case in point - I've been looking for a long time at properties in NH. What I find odd is that farms that have been so for hundred years or more, may not remain that way.
If a farming family doesn't want to farm any more, why not sell the land to build suburbs?

I don't see any suggest that there's a push by the government to convert what is currently farmland into subdivisions, nobody is forcing the owners of farms to shut them down. However, developers are making big cash offers to buy farms from the owner, pay the fee to take them out of current use, split the land into minimal-size lots, and build houses.

When this does happens, it is farmland owners taking a profit and retiring, not some nefarious plot.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:48 AM

324 posts, read 714,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Not sure what your question is.

Best to explain more.

Current use in New Hampshire is a program - voluntary - to place ones raw land - in current use. Taxes are then lowered. Current use has many restrictions though. Minimum acres required.

In selling or purchasing raw land - either one - buyer/seller - can take that raw land out of current use - for a fee/premium.

Zoning. Many/most cities and towns have incorporated zoning. Zoning boards. Planning boards. Restricting what one can do with their property. Some/few towns have not adopted all of this yet.
I am absolutely shocked that any land board has that much leverage. There's a similar situation in BC - where a landowner wanted to build a rodeo arena on his land. The base construction had started when the land board started its meetings. By the time the no vote got posted, the arena had been finished and now the whole project is in limbo. I concur with the landowner that it is his land and the land board overstepped their authority.

Zoning boards only work in confined areas like towns and cities. In this particular case it's 400km from anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire