Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:20 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,134,544 times

Advertisements

NH was deeply red 25 years ago, but is currently a brilliant shade of purple.

In 2011, Manchester's Republican Mayor Ted Gatsas drew national attention when he asked the State Dept. to stop relocating refugees to his city. Several thousand African and Middle Eastern refugees were moved to Manchester over the past decade. He led a bill to institute a moratorium on refugees, and it failed.

NH is one of the whitest states, right up there with VT and ME. Our minority populations are growing. Various towns starting holding festivals to celebrate the diversity. Berlin is home to the annual Culture/Heritage festival. Dover celebrates the Seacoast Irish festival and Concord has the annual Multicultural festival.

Minorities make up 10% of the population in southern NH. There are tracts in Nashua and Manchester where the minority population of children, particularly, is over 40 percent," said Kenneth Johnson, senior demographer at the University of New Hampshire's Carsey Institute. "That's not that different than what you'd see in big, urban cores."

NH's overall population grew 6% in the last decade. White children declined by almost 13% but the number of hispanic children grew 76%.

One will periodically run across racists in NH (they seem to flock to this forum), but on the whole, nobody cares about color, gender, religious or sexual preference.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:39 PM

89 posts, read 134,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
...One will periodically run across racists in NH (they seem to flock to this forum), but on the whole, nobody cares about color, gender, religious or sexual preference.

Generally what you are saying is true, tolerance in NH is high mostly due to lack of opportunity to actually interact with those who are “other than white”, but exactly what is "wrong" with "Whites" wanting to live with “their own kind”, in other words “their family?” Clearly most other “Ethnics” flock together and no one calls them on it. The facts are undeniable, the "Whiter" the area, the less "Crime" of all types, and while "Whites" certainly aren't perfect, I can deal with them one on one without being questioned as to my motive for correcting their undesirable behaviors. And before you suggest that I am merely "Prejudiced" or “Ignorant”, I have had plenty of "DIEversity"; enough to last me the rest of my life, so perhaps “Educated” would be a better depiction of me. And while I don't hate those who look different, I do see it as a warning that they are in fact different. Don't like it, too bad. People often chant that “Diversity is Strength”, but 5000 years of human history belies such double speak. I have a better mantra, “Diversity is more than a Taco with all the fixings, it is more like a Tostado, looks good but in actuality, too messy to eat”

Old 10-22-2013, 09:44 PM

132 posts, read 195,821 times
I hate to break it to some of you, but racists ARE a minority.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:47 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtneer12 View Post
I hate to break it to some of you, but racists ARE a minority.
Ummm.... unless you personally know every person in NH, you cannot state that as a fact. Humans are visual creatures and it is completely naturally to be aware of how others look. When we approach a complete stranger, how they look and move begins our assessment of them. We can never be completely colour blind. Otherwise, no one in NH would ever object to Huxtable type families moving in next door to them. But... what's wrong with not being happy to have an influx of urban rapper gangsta types move into their town. And the same goes for gay and lesbian couples. They make fine neighbors, but I wouldn't want to have my town turn into having a gay atmosphere like Oquongquit or Provincetown in the summertime.

There is nothing wrong or to be ashamed of for NH being a white majority state. Not only that, it's a highly rural state with it being over 95% still covered with forest. Country living does not appeal to most minorities. Most minorities prefer urban living and the amenities that come with it.

Anyway, as a long time observer of the human condition, what I find is that the racism is not about skin colour, it's more about clashes between the different cultures, religions and lifestyles. And when I examine my own social interactions, my best friends are people who happened to grow up in white majority middle suburbia. And the people who I don't get along with (poor work ethic, lack of morals such as thinking that baby mommas are no big deal) just happen to always have grown up in the cities. People who have had childhoods in the inner city are just not my kind of people... no matter what the colour of their skin is.

And of the people I have personally known, the blacks are the most racist, the whites the least.

Lastly, just because I don't find black men sexually attractive, does not make me a racist.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:43 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,134,544 times
Not only that, it's a highly rural state with it being over 95% still covered with forest.

NH has more forest now than it did 100 years ago, because cleared land has reforested.

Country living does not appeal to most minorities. Most minorities prefer urban living and the amenities that come with it.

Extremely racist comment ^.

There was a big uproar recently over a Cheerios commercial. A little girl dumps the cereal all over her dad for heart health. The uproar was because the family portrayed was of mixed race. I never even noticed until the hubbub began.

Then I was outraged that this even mattered to some people.

We are all humans.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:25 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Quote:

Country living does not appeal to most minorities. Most minorities prefer urban living and the amenities that come with it.

Extremely racist comment ^.
No. None of my friends, co-workers, neighbors of Asian descent have any desire to move to a rural setting. Least of all in the northern states with their extremely long and cold winters. They do greatly prefer urban and suburban settings because of the work they gravitate towards... whether it's in a tech field or medical field (yes, Asians value high education and its lucrative career opportunities). Or if they are new to this country and under-educated with poor English skills, then again, urban life gives them more work opportunities in the hospitality field, restaurants and... beauty/nail salons. And of this last sort of Asian American, most are willing to work two jobs in order to better the quality of their lives.

My ex-father, when told of my house hunting up in NH, warned me that NH was extremely "GU". Then he explained that the acronym meant "geographically undesirable". And that opinion was based on a bad real estate experience he had with his loser brother somewhere in upstate NY. Meanwhile, the man has spent the majority of his life happily in Flushing, NY. And for me, Flushing is highly "GU".

And with the other minorities (blacks and Hispanics) I know first hand, not one of them is envious of my move to NH. All complain of the winter cold and long to be able to move further south one day. Not one minority person I know ever plans to visit up north for a ski weekend. All plan winter excursions where it is warm and sunny.

Sorry, but that's just the feedback I get from the many many human beings around the Boston metro area. Shrug.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,693,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Ummm.... unless you personally know every person in NH, you cannot state that as a fact. Humans are visual creatures and it is completely naturally to be aware of how others look. When we approach a complete stranger, how they look and move begins our assessment of them. We can never be completely colour blind. Otherwise, no one in NH would ever object to Huxtable type families moving in next door to them. But... what's wrong with not being happy to have an influx of urban rapper gangsta types move into their town. And the same goes for gay and lesbian couples. They make fine neighbors, but I wouldn't want to have my town turn into having a gay atmosphere like Oquongquit or Provincetown in the summertime.

There is nothing wrong or to be ashamed of for NH being a white majority state. Not only that, it's a highly rural state with it being over 95% still covered with forest. Country living does not appeal to most minorities. Most minorities prefer urban living and the amenities that come with it.

Anyway, as a long time observer of the human condition, what I find is that the racism is not about skin colour, it's more about clashes between the different cultures, religions and lifestyles. And when I examine my own social interactions, my best friends are people who happened to grow up in white majority middle suburbia. And the people who I don't get along with (poor work ethic, lack of morals such as thinking that baby mommas are no big deal) just happen to always have grown up in the cities. People who have had childhoods in the inner city are just not my kind of people... no matter what the colour of their skin is.

And of the people I have personally known, the blacks are the most racist, the whites the least.

Lastly, just because I don't find black men sexually attractive, does not make me a racist.

I have a hard time believing that you just wrote that especially being that you are ethnic

Old 10-23-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I have a hard time believing that you just wrote that especially being that you are ethnic
That comment of yours sounds pretty "racist" to me. Perhaps, you should not assume that all "ethics" are as poltically correct as you.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

As the Forum's designated "Racist", let me be the first to welcome you to NH. For me, intelligence trumps all other considerations.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:

... Extremely racist comment ^.
Nonsense, she was making a general statement which is merely an anecdotal observation. Let me be the judge on what is “racist” around here, if this is all you got, you suck at it

Quote:

...I was outraged that this even mattered to some people.

We are all humans.
First of all, as far as I know, no one here has suggested otherwise. But I am curious, why are you so outraged that someone somewhere might be offended by such a commercial? Surely, that strong of an emotional reaction isn't very reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire