Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:38 PM

223 posts, read 1,003,446 times

Advertisements

This one is from my hubby ...

I would like to know what the hunting is like, especially up north. I love to hunt deer, turkey and grouse. I am focused on not just being able to harvest game but how often do you encounter them. I usually am able to see at least a couple every day I go out during the bow season. Is it common to get more than 1 deer a year if you take advantage of all the seasons available or is just getting 1 a good season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 05:17 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,097,263 times
My family lives in Northern NH and Hunting is their life up there. Deer, Partridge and bears i hear them mostly talk about and yes my brother has freezer full of meat all winter long. I think he would hunt more if he had more room to store the meat. He does give a lot of meat away. I don't hear much about hunting turkey and i don't even know what grouse is.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:16 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
Danielle if they ever find that they've just got too much game in their freezer, I know someone who'd be willing to give it a good home

Old 11-20-2007, 09:33 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,934 times
a good friend of mine is a very successful hunter - he will get three in a year - bow, muzzleloader and rifle seasons

I, on the other hand, could not shoot the deer I had in my sights. Even if they DO eat my peach trees.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:34 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
Buck, that same offer is extended to your successful friend

Old 11-20-2007, 11:34 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,934 times
sorry Val - there's not enough....LOL

he had moose meat as well one year, but I didn't like it as much as venison.

I didn't like bear meat either - too greasy - another beautiful creature

Old 11-20-2007, 12:33 PM

223 posts, read 1,003,446 times
Hey Val -- I'll look you up next year after we move and my husband harvests his first in NH. If it's a good enough season and the family is more than covered, our family donates venison to food banks.

My hubby will more than likely go after those other tags also (bear and moose) which will be a first for him along with taking advantage of all the seasons with his bow, muzzleloader, and shotgun. As for me, the only way I could ever shoot anything is with my camera and then mount it in a frame to forever remember that "hunt" .

Thank you everyone! As alway, I enjoy reading all your comments.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:25 PM

215 posts, read 583,756 times
SkiChick,

Hunting IS the life up here. You have the chance to take 3 deer as the previous post has said. Coos county is the best hunting area in my opinion. Lots of area to hunt just about every where. For everybody, we call grouse , partridge up here.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:30 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,097,263 times
I won't eat anything i've seen killed or heck even anything in my brothers freezer. My mind thinks the grocery store makes their meat somehow and that's all i'll eat.

I too will take a shot with my camera but that's about it. If i shot and an animal, i'd probably be taking it to the vet.

I have no problems with hunters as long as you eat what you kill or catch and not just target practice on them.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:42 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
I won't eat anything i've seen killed or heck even anything in my brothers freezer. My mind thinks the grocery store makes their meat somehow and that's all i'll eat.

I too will take a shot with my camera but that's about it. If i shot and an animal, i'd probably be taking it to the vet.

I have no problems with hunters as long as you eat what you kill or catch and not just target practice on them.
I agree with that. Maybe it is my So Cali bringing up, but I just couldnt hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire