Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:25 AM

21 posts, read 31,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post

The food..Well, lets just say thank God for the sides and cornbread.. ok Ribs.. DRY, kind of tough, a semblance of a smoke ring says they spent some time is a smoker, No real bark and the rub had a pasty/mushy consistency to it..it should be noted here the ribs were the best of the meat offerings. In fairness the spice mix of the rub did have a good flavor but that is about it. Pulled Pork/Chicken.. I combined them because apart from textural differences they were about the same in flavor, neither had any indication of smokiness and both tasted that they spent a long time sitting in a stainless steel food warmer, lots of moisture content, no flavor, no hint of any rub.

Brisket.. once again tough more like it was roasted in an oven than smoked..bland.

However the bbq baked beans and coleslaw were both well presented with plenty of flavor. Not only does Good Coles have nothing to worry about in way of completion from Riverside but neither do many other good or even fair bbq joints in the NH region..ah but at least it was a good excuse to twist the wick and watch the wheel roll past the white lines on the road
Damn, I had high hopes for that place, as it's pretty close to my house. I just hadn't gotten around to trying it yet.

I'm a native Tennessean, so I know what barbeque is supposed to taste like, and how it's supposed to be cooked. You're right - if you don't see smoke and smell anything within a block radius, something is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 12:58 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,532,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crw15213 View Post
Damn, I had high hopes for that place, as it's pretty close to my house. I just hadn't gotten around to trying it yet.

I'm a native Tennessean, so I know what barbeque is supposed to taste like, and how it's supposed to be cooked. You're right - if you don't see smoke and smell anything within a block radius, something is wrong.

Two Words..Goody Coles

I need to mention that just because smoke is a good indicator.. it does not always guarantee good que..case in point.. I will have to waste some money when I can to do a fresh recap of this place below but several tries throughout the years have resulted in lackluster results at best

http://www.yankeesmokehouse.com/index.html

Old 11-25-2013, 01:15 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,114,637 times
The Heritage Smokehouse, located at 184 Lafayette Road,No. Hampton, officially closed last week, joining Smoke Stack Grille and Porkez as restaurants that recently failed to gain traction within the building.

They opened Sept. 24th.... BBQ not too popular??? or too messy to eat in public.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:13 PM

21 posts, read 31,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Two Words..Goody Coles

I need to mention that just because smoke is a good indicator.. it does not always guarantee good que..case in point.. I will have to waste some money when I can to do a fresh recap of this place below but several tries throughout the years have resulted in lackluster results at best

Yankee Smokehouse
I've been to Yankee Smokehouse. It's "ok"....

Old 11-25-2013, 06:33 PM

611 posts, read 1,201,768 times
Where is Goody Coles? My dad is from SC and appreciates a good BBQ (and gets equally mad at a lousy BBQ). I'd love to know of some good places to take him when he visits.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
The Heritage Smokehouse, located at 184 Lafayette Road,No. Hampton, officially closed last week, joining Smoke Stack Grille and Porkez as restaurants that recently failed to gain traction within the building.

They opened Sept. 24th.... BBQ not too popular??? or too messy to eat in public.

I tried them when they were Porkez it wasn't pretty

Old 11-25-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady fern View Post
Where is Goody Coles? My dad is from SC and appreciates a good BBQ (and gets equally mad at a lousy BBQ). I'd love to know of some good places to take him when he visits.
Since I do not know where you would be coming from I'll be generic..from 101 East or West take exit 7 towards Brentwood/Kingston..Goodys will be the shack of the right side of the road..big sign

Old 11-25-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crw15213 View Post
I've been to Yankee Smokehouse. It's "ok"....
it's ok.. pretty much says it all but since I am a loud mouth I'll go on

It is a tourist trap of the scale of Curtis's in Vermont, but I will give it this, though I do not like it the food is at least superior to Curtis

Old 11-25-2013, 07:41 PM

Default Easy to spot the sign..caution , never know who will be there

Old 11-26-2013, 09:47 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,002,978 times
Also try BT's Smokehouse in Sturbridge Mass if you are ever headed down that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire