Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,094 times

Advertisements

I am really ready to move from TN but having a really hard time deciding on a state. So after many many months of researching and more researching I have narrowed it down. New Hampshire is definitely in my top 4 ( along with Mass, Conn, and Jersey) I am wondering tho, has anyone moved to NH (recently) and finding that it was NOT a good move and if so why? I have heard that the cost of living there is really cheap and affordable but that info came from people who DO NOT live there and NEVER have so I can't really take it to heart. I am in the medical field and my husband is in the transportation/warehouse field so our income is NOT that great and grand. Also I have been told by some, let's just say "ignorant" beings, that there are virtually NO BLACK PEOPLE IN NH, now I have never been to NH but I just don't think this is true but if I am the "ignorant" one please let me know!!!! I know "to each his own" but insight and opinions of others are always helpful, be they good or bad. I am also curious about raising teens and children with special needs in the state as well. Any NH longtime residents that have any insight on those two topics are appreciated as well I know that by the summer of next year I want to be all moved and settled into a new life in a new state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 03:38 PM

61 posts, read 88,188 times
I can't answer all your questions, but here is a salary comparison between Nashville, TN and Manchester, NH ( I just picked two cities and pulled a salary out of the air) Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed. NH will not be cheap, but neither are any of the other places your listed.

Good luck!

Last edited by Yac; 12-20-2013 at 05:06 AM..

Old 12-15-2013, 03:44 PM

8,875 posts, read 6,185,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidjett2 View Post
I am really ready to move from TN but having a really hard time deciding on a state. So after many many months of researching and more researching I have narrowed it down. New Hampshire is definitely in my top 4 ( along with Mass, Conn, and Jersey) I am wondering tho, has anyone moved to NH (recently) and finding that it was NOT a good move and if so why? I have heard that the cost of living there is really cheap and affordable but that info came from people who DO NOT live there and NEVER have so I can't really take it to heart. I am in the medical field and my husband is in the transportation/warehouse field so our income is NOT that great and grand. Also I have been told by some, let's just say "ignorant" beings, that there are virtually NO BLACK PEOPLE IN NH, now I have never been to NH but I just don't think this is true but if I am the "ignorant" one please let me know!!!! I know "to each his own" but insight and opinions of others are always helpful, be they good or bad. I am also curious about raising teens and children with special needs in the state as well. Any NH longtime residents that have any insight on those two topics are appreciated as well I know that by the summer of next year I want to be all moved and settled into a new life in a new state.
New Hampshire is the most affordable of the four states in your top four. If you can find decent work then New Hampshire will be your best bet. MA will be second best from a cost standpoint.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:31 PM

9 posts, read 8,669 times
Based on your criteria, I'd say Mass is a better fit.
NH is cheaper to live in, but jobs are relatively scarce, and you'd likely end up commuting.
Special-needs students are serviced fairly well in some districts, less so in others, and if your child needs adult services, NH is most definitely not the place. Those cheap costs have their consequences, you know.
As for the "ignorant beings" (?) they're pretty much correct, NH is something like 98% white, with our few blacks being either transplants from Mass in the Nashua area (suspected of being drug smugglers from Mass, usually), or refugees in Manchester. Neither are generally looked favorably on, so while natives will probably not be outright rude, you will always stand out and be different, a hard thing for children especially.
And, as I'm sure everyone will tell you, winter in New England will be rougher than what you're probably used to, so whatever your budget is, add $100 a month or so for heating costs, and expect to buy and use snowshovels, salt and new wiper blades every winter.
In addition, NH is not noted for its great convenience, so you will likely need to do some driving to do at least some errands. I'll admit to being ignorant of TN's layout, maybe that's not a big deal for you, but something to be aware of.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:17 AM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,065,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidjett2 View Post
Are you and your husband black? Or are you concerned about raising your children in a diverse environment?

And do your children have "special needs"? If so, what are they?

What sort of moving budget do you have saved? Are you planning to rent or buy? Do you want to live in a rural or city setting? Why are you leaving TN?

Well my boyfriend and I have just moved to NH from MA. And I agree with the other advice posted in here. NH is really not a very cheap place to live. We purchased a house, and while it's a much better value than what we could buy in MA, the property taxes are very high. In addition, it's a challenge to find decent paying work close to home. According to the town's real estate assessor, most people work south of where they live. He lives 45 minutes north. So in southern NH, most work in MA. Where we live, many work south, or travel west to Concord or east to Portsmouth.

And yes, in the winters, count on heating costs being at least another $100 a month depending on the size of your dwelling and how warm you want to keep it.

We are still happy with our move. It's taken a few stressful months, but my boyfriend finally has found a combination of two jobs that makes him happy and brings in enough income to pay his share of the bills. I still work in the Boston area, but next summer will start a seasonal business. And we love our property.

I think that for you, perhaps a move to MA, CT or NJ area first would be a wiser move than heading straight for NH. I've spent a little time in TN, and moving to the New England is going to be a shock for your family both culturally and for the climate. If you need to see visible diversity, MA, CT and NJ has that. MA also will offer more support for children with special needs. Also, there is much more work available for you and your husband in MA.

Anyway, again, NH is NOT going to be your cheapest option. Not when you start factoring in the NH job market, heating costs, work commute costs and property taxes. We do however, have a high quality of life if you enjoy the beauty of nature and want to be away from hordes of humans.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:19 AM

238 posts, read 314,328 times
NH is a lot whiter than the rest of the US. It's not quite 98% but you can find the census numbers here:
New Hampshire QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

In broad strokes the weather in NH is considerably colder than TN. Plugging a couple cities into this site can illustrate this:
Climate Comparison for Nashua, NH and Knoxville, TN

In addition to the cold and snow the reduction in daylight in the winter can also be daunting for new comers.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:43 AM

3,847 posts, read 7,930,753 times
Nh is not a cheap state, maybe for someone coming from MA or NYC but from a place like TN it's not at all. Of course it's cheaper than any other NE state but the cost of living in NE is very high, they don't call it taxachussetts for nothing. Where you want to be is the coastal area where the cost of living and taxes are so high forget owning a house and good luck finding anything decently livable apt. Wise under $1,300 .

The cost to live there broke our bank and my husband was making over $25 an hour when we left . Heating alone was $400 a month for our 1 bedroom an winter is long, bitterly colder than anything you'd find in TN and dark and greyest days. It started snowing in Oct. and had still snowed the day we left the third week in May. . Plus there's no sales tax or income but they have to find money somewhere, it doesn't appear out of think air. Food and beverage tax is I think at 9% and I think TN is closer to 7? I could be wrong on that though.

Your prop taxes will be through the roof, especially if you need a decent school system then expect to pay $4,000 (and that's on the cheaper end) a year in prop. To be safe probably closer to 6-8,000 a year.

Nh is also not a diverse state. If you are looking for "culture" you won't find it there. I lived in the western part and VERY RARELY saw someone who wasn't white. I mean I saw maybe less than a handful living there and the police knew where everyone of them lived. My husbands first day of training as a cop he was brought on his drive through and told "black family lives here, Mexican here" etc. Coming from Fla where there is much more diversity we were shocked speechless. Infact the cops at my husbands station were speechless when during a call my husband was able to procure information from a man who spoke Spanish. They couldn't even ask his name.

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 12-16-2013 at 07:55 AM..

Old 12-16-2013, 08:42 AM

4,564 posts, read 5,630,018 times
I agree -- if you are going to end up working for a company in Massachusetts (and paying MA income tax), financially it makes more sense to live near your job, and if you want tax-free shopping, drive across the state line as needed.

NH has other advantages, but the OP didn't reference any of them as key factors in the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Nh is not a cheap state...The cost to live there broke our bank and my husband was making over $25 an hour when we left . Heating alone was $400 a month for our 1 bedroom an winter is long, bitterly colder than anything you'd find in TN and dark and greyest days. It started snowing in Oct. and had still snowed the day we left the third week in May. . Plus there's no sales tax or income but they have to find money somewhere, it doesn't appear out of think air. Food and beverage tax is I think at 9% and I think TN is closer to 7? I could be wrong on that though.
To be clear, 9% is the "Meals tax" on prepared foods (restaurants, fast food, and ready-to-eat), there is no tax on regular groceries in NH, MA, RI.

New Hampshire is not a cheap place to live, most people don't spend much on air conditioning in the summer, but make up for that with heating costs in the winter. Winter costs me about $100/month just in snow removal (plowing, ice melt, snowblower, etc) expenses.

Quote:
Nh is also not a diverse state. If you are looking for "culture" you won't find it there. I lived in the western part and VERY RARELY saw someone who wasn't white. I mean I saw maybe less than a handful living there and the police knew where everyone of them lived.
I'm confused; what exactly people are talking about when they put "culture" in quotes and complain that all the people you will meet in NH have pasty white skin?

Old 12-16-2013, 09:33 AM

3,847 posts, read 7,930,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I agree -- if you are going to end up working for a company in Massachusetts (and paying MA income tax), financially it makes more sense to live near your job, and if you want tax-free shopping, drive across the state line as needed.

NH has other advantages, but the OP didn't reference any of them as key factors in the decision.

To be clear, 9% is the "Meals tax" on prepared foods (restaurants, fast food, and ready-to-eat), there is no tax on regular groceries in NH, MA, RI.

New Hampshire is not a cheap place to live, most people don't spend much on air conditioning in the summer, but make up for that with heating costs in the winter. Winter costs me about $100/month just in snow removal (plowing, ice melt, snowblower, etc) expenses.

I'm confused; what exactly people are talking about when they put "culture" in quotes and complain that all the people you will meet in NH have pasty white skin?
Well we have much more diversity here in Fl as opposed to there. They would also have much more in TN with all the transplants. Nh wouldn't get nearly as many transplants as the two states most towns are filled with generational families that go back 100s of years. Nh didn't havein ways of food choices and entertaining as where she is coming from unless she is in a real secluded place. Particularly in the western state of NH there is very
Little to no diversity. The only festivals there were farm related (state fair or apple harvest, pumpkin etc) where as Florida has Mexican, Native American, Chinese etc etc. Unless u were close to the mass border or more coastal there were literally nothing but white folk .

Old 12-16-2013, 09:36 AM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,065,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I think that we're all trying to be PC about this. It was the OP that first expressed concern in her first post (and btw in caps ) about hearing that there "are virtually NO BLACK PEOPLE IN NH"... and she also posted that she was assuming that her sources were "ignorant beings". And I don't know why she was ASSuming that.

According to my town's statistics, we have a 6% Asian population. We have one very bad Chinese restaurant and I've seen only one Asian lady and that was at Hannafords. We have a couple of pizza places, no Mexican, Indian or other ethnic themed/run restaurants/businesses. So yes, my town is very "white". The small towns in VT and ME are the same. As are the rural small towns in NY, CT and MA are also extremely "white".

But does it ever bother me (a Chinese American)? No. Not at all. I've never encountered any negative vibes about my Asian-ess in any of my road trips around the US. If you are cordial and respectful of others, they will respond back in the same way.

Should the OP and/or be non-white, it should be a non-issue in moving to NH. I feel that all any of the longtime locals desire out of the incoming people is an acceptance for the way NH is and that the new residents pull their own weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire