U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 03:14 PM

5 posts, read 6,773 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have too many questions for first post, but will try and just ask a few questions. A bit about us; we are a family of four: my wife (both in mid forties) and I and two young boys (10 & 11) and currently live in Florida. I am a retired police Sergeant and now a Lieutenant with a State Agency. My wife is a nurse practitioner and has been offered her dream job at a salary that is almost too good to say no to, in Littleton. She has put my career first for over 25 years and it is now time for me to put her career first. We have lived in Florida all our adult life. We both love the mountains and outdoor activities (camping, fishing, off roading). We have a short time frame to accept the offer she was given

We want to rent for a year or two before purchasing a home. One of the issues we are having is finding rentals in the area. We want to live within 20 minutes or so from Littleton. We would want to find a 3 or 4 bedroom home with enough yard to park an RV we anticipate purchasing. I have searched online and not found many options. Are rental homes that difficult to find? If anyone has any links to any leads, please forward them (if forum allows that).

The other issue I am having is that I want to find work (I can’t imagine just sitting around). I have heard the jobs are difficult to find. I know there are no easy answers to this, but would love find an investigative type job, but not sure if companies are open to newcomers for that type or job (if even available).

Well, any input would be appreciated on the topics I have posted or anything that would be useful. Thank you.

Last edited by jim1042; 12-21-2013 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 05:40 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,284,199 times
Littleton is in the middle of nowhere. Littleton is an old mill town. Most of New Hampshire was rural with some towns on rivers becoming mill towns back in the 19th century. Most or all of the mills are gone now.
Although Littleton is considered a large town by NH standards it's population is less then 5,000.
The surrounding towns have less population.
So finding a rental home with your requirements may be a tad difficult. There are just not that many large homes with large yards with space for a parked motorhome available.
Littleton is also in hill and mountain country.
The poster might think about not purchasing that large motor home until after all is settled in New Hampshire.
Littleton, New Hampshire.
It is less distance to go city shopping to Sherbrooke, Canada then it is to Boston, Massachusetts.
Littleton does have some big box shopping as US Route 93 goes through the town.
Littleton is usually always colder then Concord, Manchester, Nashua, and Portsmouth.
In rural New Hampshire most high schools are regional. The local small towns may have an elementary school (not all) but the high school is usually a bus trip to a larger town. So if living outside of Littleton social and athletic activities usually requires a bus or a drive by the parents.
Rural New Hampshire can be a wonderland of outdoor activities or an isolated lonely existence.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:34 AM

3,443 posts, read 4,909,874 times
I can't imagine anyone that has lived all his/her life in Florida being very happy in northern NH. Also consider what a long ride your kids will have attending a regional school. I hate to burst your bubble but perhaps your wife can find her dream job closer to civilization. Kids that are preteens usually want social activities too. You need to do more research on the area and what it offers kids. You might end up having culture shock. Have you visited Littleton?

Old 12-23-2013, 08:15 AM

2,106 posts, read 1,710,737 times
I've been looking for a property to buy for myself in Sullivan and Grafton Counties. There are a lot of bargain priced properties on acreage available there especially in Grafton County (do a Zillow search of some towns like Haverhill).

Does your wife have a contract with her new employer? If she is on a probationary appointment, I would certainly rent until her situation becomes permanent. If she has a multi-year appointment, then I would buy as the bargains are too good to pass up.

As to what you can do, my suggestion would be to start your own business. Since your background is in police work and investigations, how about becoming a private investigator? It looks like the closest P.I to Littleton is in St. Johnsbury, VT. I'm assuming that you only need a part time job given your wife's salary and your police pension. Obtaining a NH P.I. license isn't a problem and I assume that a VT license is also easy to obtain.

Good luck in any event.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:33 PM

Default Possible move to Littleton

Thanks to all who have posted replies, both with positives and negatives of the area. My wife has been to the area and loves it. I have not visited, but make frequent trips to small towns in Colorado and love the weather small towns. I am tired of the urban/suburban rat race.

The idea about private investigator is not something I thought about, but may be just the thing.

We have since made several connections with real estate agents in the area who have been very helpful. We have a good lead on a house in the area, but we have only seen photos and hope it is as nice in person.

Thanks again for replies.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:36 PM

3,034 posts, read 7,186,545 times
The poster might think about not purchasing that large motor home until after all is settled in New Hampshire.

Be aware that some communities don't allow large motor homes to be parked in the yard. Every town has their own rules.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:34 PM

Default Possible move to Littleton

Thanks for the information: I do not plan on purchasing an RV until I settled in. Additionally, I am only going to purchase a travel trailer. I know all roads are different, but I have towed travel trailers through out the country including the mountain areas of Montana, Colorado and Virginia. The one house we are very interested in, luckily has parking available for an RV.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:09 AM

40,316 posts, read 44,054,932 times
Welcome to the North Country. Once you adapt to the winter cold I think you will enjoy yourselves. I am a partner in a rental house in Lisbon, just down the road from Littleton, but I am not sure of the status. It may be for rent but does not have a very big yard.

In Littleton the Lahout family is the go to folks for everything from clothes to real estate.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:43 AM

3,205 posts, read 7,909,590 times
You may want to consider Monroe so that when your kids are of high school age they can go to St. Johnsbury Academy.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:15 PM

54 posts, read 194,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Welcome to the North Country. Once you adapt to the winter cold I think you will enjoy yourselves. I am a partner in a rental house in Lisbon, just down the road from Littleton, but I am not sure of the status. It may be for rent but does not have a very big yard.

In Littleton the Lahout family is the go to folks for everything from clothes to real estate.
Thankfully there a many more clothing options than the Lahout family although they do have a couple great stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire