Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 10:58 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times

Advertisements

We have lived in suburbia (Torrance, California and Littleton, Colorado) for almost all our adult lives, and now that we are approaching retirement, we want to move to New Hampshire and the quiet, beautiful, four-seasons life. We like things like taking nature walks and reading and playing Scrabble; and our idea of a great night out is a good steak dinner and a movie. We would go to Boston or Manchester for a weekend once a twice a year to attend a symphony or theater performance and go to a museum or two. We are not "snobs" at all, just "solid" middle-class, down-to-earth people -- socially liberal, fiscally conservative, agnostic introverts (but friendly).

As we lived in Bridgton, Maine for three years (from 2004-07), we know we can handle the cold and all the differences between living in a big city suburb and living in a small rural town . . . except one. We do not want to ever again live any place that does not have “city” utilities!

We are looking for a home in the $250K-$350K range (depending on how much "fixing up" is required) that has a wood-burning fireplace and a nice water view that can be enjoyed from the deck or patio. Our only other requirement, besides public utilities, is that there must be a major grocery store within five miles. We also would prefer a well-maintained and picturesque town with many nice places to walk.

So, with the all the above in mind, we limited our search to towns between 12,000 and 30,000 population, and after doing further research, we have now narrowed it down to fairly rural Keene, Laconia, or Goffstown, or to the "southern hub" suburban towns of Dover, Durham, Salem, and Hampton. Does anyone have any strong opinions, pro or con, as to any of these towns potentially being our “perfect retirement home”? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for any other town that will meet ALL the requirements described in the above paragraph?

Thanks in advance for all your input!

P.S. We know taxes will be high, but our monthly retirement income will be about $3,900, and will consist entirely of social security and savings; and we will be doing as much of an "even exchange" regarding price as is possible between our house now in Littleton and the new house in New Hampshire, so we won't have a mortgage payment, probably, unless that would be advantageous for tax reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 11:20 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,224 times
Hard to meet all those. I'm not sure how you are going to get "places to walk to" and "water view" in one package. You need to be in a town center, generally, to get public utilities.

Regarding the budget...I bought a house there at the top end of your price range. Property taxes, heat and electric ran me about 16 k a year. Up in smoke. If I were you, I'd be looking around the lakes region where property taxes are more reasonable. You won't get lake view in that price range though.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:37 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
Check out Dover. You may find many of your wants there. Also it is about 15 minutes from the ocean and a great beach in Rye NH. My daughter lives in Dover and loves it there. It has a nice old fashion down town but is only about 15 minute drive to a mall near Portsmouth.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:40 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Honestly, as much as I love New Hampshire, I may very well NOT stay here after retirement due to the high property taxes. My house (and a rental house) will both be paid off before I retire, but on my main house alone, I will likely be paying $900-$1,000/month in property taxes (judging by my current $600/month on a $250k house and planned retirement in 15-20 years). OP, I'm in the Monadnock area outside of Keene -- if my house were actually IN Keene, it would likely be worth $350k but I could not have afforded that with the insane property taxes (would be I think just under $1,000/month).

I am lucky in that my current house has city utilities (very unusual -- my particular neighborhood is partly in Keene and partly in a neighboring town). I think most houses in New Hampshire DON'T have city utilities so that might be a tough requirement.

As Newdaawn suggested, Dover might work for you -- no water view, but the ocean is nearby!

Old 01-07-2014, 12:55 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
There is a similar post already.

"Best Town in New Hampshire for Retirees?"

Old 01-11-2014, 04:08 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,703,573 times
Remember Durham and Keene are both college towns - thus more apt to have a very young, progressive population than the older retired population. I'm from Dover and any of the "tri-city" area would probably fit your bill - Dover, Somersworth, Rochester.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:37 PM

193 posts, read 534,103 times
Of the towns you mention and setting you describe, the answer is clear: Dover.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:41 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Honestly, as much as I love New Hampshire, I may very well NOT stay here after retirement due to the high property taxes. My house (and a rental house) will both be paid off before I retire, but on my main house alone, I will likely be paying $900-$1,000/month in property taxes (judging by my current $600/month on a $250k house and planned retirement in 15-20 years). OP, I'm in the Monadnock area outside of Keene -- if my house were actually IN Keene, it would likely be worth $350k but I could not have afforded that with the insane property taxes (would be I think just under $1,000/month).

I am lucky in that my current house has city utilities (very unusual -- my particular neighborhood is partly in Keene and partly in a neighboring town). I think most houses in New Hampshire DON'T have city utilities so that might be a tough requirement.

As Newdaawn suggested, Dover might work for you -- no water view, but the ocean is nearby!
Consider retirement in the Lakes Region. You can find the tax rates by town online and many properties are available that have a fraction of the property taxes that the Monadnock region features away from the lake..

Old 01-12-2014, 06:03 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,129 times
You should look elsewhere, seriously I don't think you will be happy here at all. None of the towns you mentioned is that good for your requirements. Try Portland Me or Burlington VT if you like the Northeast. New Hampshire is losing its character and value fast, becoming greater Mass.
Out of the towns that you listed I would say Goffstown would be the most peaceful and serene or the greater Keene area. Both Keene and Goffstown have very high property axes however. The lake region possibly. The rest just no. Don't even think of moving to Salem or Derry very mediocre places at best.

Last edited by Know Nonsense; 01-12-2014 at 06:33 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 04:29 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
You should look elsewhere, seriously I don't think you will be happy here at all. None of the towns you mentioned is that good for your requirements. Try Portland Me or Burlington VT if you like the Northeast. New Hampshire is losing its character and value fast, becoming greater Mass.
Out of the towns that you listed I would say Goffstown would be the most peaceful and serene or the greater Keene area. Both Keene and Goffstown have very high property axes however. The lake region possibly. The rest just no. Don't even think of moving to Salem or Derry very mediocre places at best.
NH has always been part of greater MA. About 55% of the population is just in Rockingham/Hillsborough counties. Roughly 75% of the state population lives within an hour of Boston, and that's not new.

To people in New England, I say I'm from NH. To people elsewhere in the country (or internationally), I tell them I'm from a suburb of Boston. And, as much as I hated the notion at first, it is pretty true.

But I tend to agree on the larger point, I'm not sure why the OP is settling on those towns other than maybe Dover. You'll also get some benefit from the slightly milder weather near the coast - no reason to retire just to die of a heart attack shoveling snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire