Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:03 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsodie2014 View Post
Hi,,,,I do not have a spouse (which is why I am in CA to begin with),,,went thru a bad divorce in MA,,,,now I want to return to either of the 3 states (but not in greater Boston). I work in the Clinical Laboratory field,,,,however I am old (55 yrs).........I have a home here that I want to sell,,,and also have an 85 yr old mother,,,,she says she wants to come with me but the reality of it..
I am seriously thinking of selling the house (I am going to sell the house) and sock the money in the bank and put everything in storage....go back to MA or So NH and try and find job,,,,and rent,,,,I do not want to stay in hotels wasting money,,,,so I must put this whole thing together,,,,without any help from anyone...
Okay. In your first post, you had a "our" and "we" scattered in there, so I thought you had a partner. Well, I am 55 years old myself, and yes, I was very apprehensive buying a house last year with a 30 year mortgage. However, my boyfriend is 32 years old and we think that we can pay off the mortgage no later than 15 years. Already he is able to work from home and I am working on plans for my own home based businesses. And if I rant on this forum about the high property taxes, it's because I will never be able to retire and then sit around doing nothing... not that I want to become some couch potato in my senior years.

I think that to be a single older person moving to NH, you will have to plan on being healthy and physically active until the end. And you do have to have that perpetual income stream that will cover your property taxes and winter heating costs/snow removal. You need to ask yourself if you will always have the energy to deal with these unavoidable NH issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire