Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 12:48 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
I think they also need to focus on attracting more business and keeping young people in the state. Educated young people do leave the state. (I wrote a much longer post with my ideas about what makes a place vibrant and attractive to young people, but I'll just leave it at this.) The state does have to change in order to grow.
In regards to keeping the "young people" in NH. I think that it's very important for their continued personal growth to leave NH for a while. In this very global day and age, not too many people at all want to live in just one state all of their lives. They need to get out, to experience the world and also to leave behind their parents. It's sort of like with relationships, how many really marry and spend their whole lives happily with their high school sweetheart?

Most young people go to out of state colleges by choice. And how can they know where best to live if they have no basis for comparison?

IMO NH is a good state to start off in life, leave and then come back to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 03:17 PM

120 posts, read 222,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
In regards to keeping the "young people" in NH. I think that it's very important for their continued personal growth to leave NH for a while. In this very global day and age, not too many people at all want to live in just one state all of their lives. They need to get out, to experience the world and also to leave behind their parents. It's sort of like with relationships, how many really marry and spend their whole lives happily with their high school sweetheart?

Most young people go to out of state colleges by choice. And how can they know where best to live if they have no basis for comparison?

IMO NH is a good state to start off in life, leave and then come back to.
If I were ever rich I would own a house or lakehouse in NH. I just don't want to live there all 12 months a year anymore. The lakes region, the tiny piece of coastline, and New England feel are all great pieces of NH.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:10 PM

657 posts, read 802,217 times
Quote:
And NH is #1 because of the way it is... so no changes please. And that's why we don't want to become a destination for are looking for handouts or crutches. We don't want NH to turn into a MA or CA.
Nothing wrong with welfare, I think MA has a healthy amount.

To the OP: I mostly agree with the list, though I believe that NC should be much higher.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:46 AM

49 posts, read 85,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
NH will never be like Utah- NH is rated as #2 least religious state (behind Vermont). It also ranks #1 for fewest teen pregnancies. And unlike Neveda, NH is ranked as top most educated state. Neveda is ranked as one of the worst. Let's keep our libertarian principles! They are proving themselves to work here.

Sources:
Gallup: These Are the 10 Most (and Least) Religious States in America | TheBlaze.com
State With the Highest Teen Pregnancy Rate Is ... | State-by-State Abortion Rates | LiveScience
List of U.S. states by educational attainment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Its interesting you list Nevada here in comparison to NH and how Nevada is worse for education. I am going to allude to something.

Northern California, Nevada/Lake Tahoe's neighbor would be just like NH if they decided to cut off from the rest of the state. I see similarities for sure like if you go to Auburn/Grass Valley/Nevada City area. From the time I spent in NorCal so far, I think it is comparable to when I used to spend time in the Amherst/Nashua corridor. Both are libertarian oriented and would probably be allies easily as far as the mentality being close in thought to one another. All NorCal needs is a Castros Back Room and we're all set

Old 02-18-2014, 02:48 AM

49 posts, read 85,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBlunted View Post
If I were ever rich I would own a house or lakehouse in NH. I just don't want to live there all 12 months a year anymore. The lakes region, the tiny piece of coastline, and New England feel are all great pieces of NH.
Some of the best places in this country have to be Nashua/Manchester corridor, Northern California past Sacramento or toward Nevada some, Bradenton/Sarasota/St Pete FL, Knoxville/Tri Cities area TN.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:00 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Nothing wrong with welfare, I think MA has a healthy amount.
There is nothing at all healthy or wonderful about having a welfare system... either socially or economically. In a strong economy and having citizens with good morals and work ethics, no one would be slacking off or having babies out of wedlock and without both spouses being involved in raising their children.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I like living in New Hampshire most of the time. these last few months have not been in that most. If I had a bit more money we would snowbird to central New Mexico from November to March.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:50 AM

657 posts, read 802,217 times
Quote:
There is nothing at all healthy or wonderful about having a welfare system... either socially or economically. In a strong economy and having citizens with good morals and work ethics, no one would be slacking off or having babies out of wedlock and without both spouses being involved in raising their children.
You are aware that not everyone on welfare is there becuase they lack work ethic or are lazy. Some people just fall on hard times by no fault of their own, they need that social support to get back on their feet.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:47 AM

238 posts, read 315,276 times
Quote:
You are aware that not everyone on welfare is there because they lack work ethic or are lazy. Some people just fall on hard times by no fault of their own, they need that social support to get back on their feet.
You'd think that everyone would be cognizant of that. But some people seem to think because they've managed to avoid or overcome every obstacle life has to offer that everyone should be able to do the same. Others are simply blind to the fact that they themselves have benefited or are benefiting from government largesse in one form or another.

BTW, here's an interesting look at The American-Western European Values Gap. It explains a lot.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:21 AM
miu

Quote:
You are aware that not everyone on welfare is there becuase they lack work ethic or are lazy. Some people just fall on hard times by no fault of their own, they need that social support to get back on their feet.
It's more of a cultural thing... as an Asian, it's considered extremely shameful to be collecting welfare, food stamps and Section 8. And it brings shame to the family name. So that's why you will see very few Chinese using these government handouts. On the other hand, families do take care of their own. So if a member has fallen on hard times, they would just move back in with family. Even collecting unemployment is frowned upon. And if one job doesn't pay enough, then they get a second job.

And it's also how Asians are able to start their businesses. They don't look for a bank loan, but instead all family earnings are pooled or loans from family members.

Within traditional Chinese culture, it's family and peer pressure keeping their members working no matter what, and it's also why there are no "baby mommas" either. And that systems seems to work better than religion (keeping people moral, with ethics and integrity).

IMO if NH wants smaller government and lower (property) taxes we do need less welfare minded residents entering our population. Every social support comes at an expensive financial cost to the rest, and needs administering by expensive government employees. And all government agencies operate inefficiently and with abundant loopholes for scammers.

Charities should go back to the grassroots level, where each recipient is known and vetted by their local community. And can be funded by private individuals giving through their conscience and by choice. And that to me is more of the true spirit of "live free or die".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire