Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 07:42 PM

25 posts, read 36,968 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Bedford, Durham area, or Exeter area with elementary-aged children. Our choice of town will be primarily based on the public school. Can you please share your opinions and experiences with the schools? I have read previous posts, however I would like whatever current information/opinions you can give.

1) Is there a way to distinguish among the schools within the districts? Aside from test scores, what distinguishes one district from another? One elementary school from another?
2) What do you like/dislike?
3) How did you make your choice?

We are coming from a traditional, lots of testing, school with little communication. I hope to have a better experience in NH - progressive, experiential learning, in-class differentiation and enrichment, open communication, parent volunteering, etc.

I plan to tour each school. Are there any questions that you recommend asking?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 09:31 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slnews2 View Post
We are considering a move to Bedford, Durham area, or Exeter area with elementary-aged children. Our choice of town will be primarily based on the public school.
<snip>
We are coming from a traditional, lots of testing, school with little communication. I hope to have a better experience in NH - progressive, experiential learning, in-class differentiation and enrichment, open communication, parent volunteering, etc.

Have you heard of the Coalition of Essential Schools? While it's somewhat controversial in this state, it sounds like the type of experience that you are seeking. There are two districts that Amherst (border town to Bedford) and Pembroke, a suburb of Concord (our state capitol).

Here is the mission statement for Souhegan HS in Amherst (CES school since 1992/1993): "Souhegan High School aspires to be a community of learners born of respect, trust, and courage. We consciously commit ourselves: -To support and engage an individual's unique gifts, passions, and intentions. -To develop and empower the mind, body, and heart. -To challenge and expand the comfortable limits of thought, tolerance, and performance. -To inspire and honor the active stewardship of family, nation, and globe."

Mission statement for Pembroke Academy (CES member since 2009/2010):
"Pembroke Academy aspires to be a community of learners borne of respect and courage. In partnership with parents and the greater community we commit our time, effort, and talents to: ACHIEVE, reaching for excellence according to one's gifts; CONTRIBUTE, giving to school, family, community, nation and globe; THRIVE, seeking lifelong opportunities for improvement and growth."

More info on the CES here: http://www.essentialschools.org/resources/89

Hope this is helpful for you

Old 02-02-2014, 04:14 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,007,799 times
Any of those schools will be great. The areas are different, and will result in different commutes. Where do you want to live? Where are you working? What are your hobbies and interests?

Old 02-02-2014, 04:58 PM

Thank you. I really like the idea of the CES, however the commute would be too much. The jobs are in Portsmouth area. Really, schools are #1 priority so I need to understand the different nuances among them. Second is commute. Then, proximity to an ice skating rink with a strong figure skating program. Any insight is much appreciated.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:58 AM

If you are working in Portsmouth, then go for the Durham area and the Oyster River district. You don't want to commute over to Bedford every day. In the winter you've got the snow, in the summer there will be traffic Friday night headed to the beaches. It's a good school district, and I can tell you will be involved and advocate for your child, so you have nothing to worry about.

I used to skate competitively, but down in Mass. So I'm not familiar with the programs in NH.

Here are a few near the Portsmouth area:

Home - Great Bay Skating

The Rinks At Exeter - Home

Learn to Skate

Old 02-03-2014, 03:03 AM

So none of those rinks seem to be very successful. If your child is serious about skating, as in competing on the regional level or higher, you want to be at the SC of Boston. That's where it's at.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:18 PM

47 posts, read 57,199 times
I would suggest that if you care about your kids' reputation and how they are automatically viewed, don't move to Bedford. Not because the schools are bad, but because everyone automatically assumes that once they're in middle school+ they're some rich, spoiled, drug dealing bunch. I was none of the three yet was considered such ha.

Of course, if this is short term- Bedford has great schools! I can't really say for any others, but in my experience I did learn a lot and at a faster pace in Bedford schools as compared to Manchester schools. A very noticeable difference, I might add.

And of course, there are going to be stand outs in Bedford who definitely are revered positively.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:18 PM

Thank you for sharing this insight. Please keep the comments coming

Old 02-13-2014, 10:54 PM

147 posts, read 268,622 times
Any of those is a great choice going by what I hear. I can say in Oyster River it is very parent involved.....you have lots of professor/higher educated parents due to UNH being in Durham. Very well mannered and educated kids as a general rule from what I have studied. My nephew came and stayed with us and proxied a class/exams through the H.S.....was really surprised by there willingness to work with him and us to make it easy.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:44 PM

Well, our school search has officially begun. Thank you for the input on Oyster River. Do you find all of these schools "traditional" or are there any that are more progressive than others?

Can anyone recommend a good full-day Kindergarten program for a 6 year old that will be compliant with NH's requirement that a 6yo be in full day school. In our area, it is customary to wait a year for a summer birthday and start Kinder at 6. We are open to public or private.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire