U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:38 AM

3,980 posts, read 7,306,957 times
Sounds a little like my family... Of the 5 of us, I relocated to the St. Louis area for about 5 years, came back to New England in 2001. One brother moved out to SoCal (Palm Desert area) about 10 years ago, and just loves it, comes home for a visit every other July. I think he likes the proximity to Vegas. The youngest relocated to Kentucky (Kentucky!!) about a year ago, and we have our bets on how long before they come back to New England And the other 2 brothers never left the area, and have no plans to...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 09:11 AM

1,775 posts, read 5,286,568 times
I'm the only crazy one in my family who moved out of NH. My family all live in the same little town i was born in still and after 14 years in FL, i'm getting back there next summer hopefully.

I'm kind of glad i moved to FL just to see the other side of life you don't see in NH. I was amazed how technically advanced FL was compared to NH. NH is still stuck in the times and very historic which i think makes it so unique. It's a different kind of lifestyle living outside of NH for sure.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:02 PM

450 posts, read 3,975 times
I'm in northern florida for a couple of months and have to say that florida was far more advanced than I thought

the people here in northern florida the natives are really nice, sort of old fashioned but I like that still can't get used to be called sir even off people you would think wouldn't know the word.
The people just like a good time and to heck with anyone who doesn't like how they dress because it;s not yuppie clothing, they don't like how some people move here and then say the confederate rebel flag is racist when in fact it is not but they also thing the people who move here that the civil war was all about slavery yet it wasn't

the people here are just as pissed off with the massachusetts ny , california broadly speaking folk like NH natives are in a way. They have no probs if people want to fit in and not change the laws or way of life or how they have lived what they don't like is how some move then want to change the laws, change the lifestyle, they can't understand on why they would move and then try to change it to a place like they have just left.

the education system is really good or it is where I am, the teachers are great and encourage parents to come in and get involved, for instance any parent can come into the classroom and help the teacher any time, so as to keep an eye on the kid, they discuss everything they do with the kids and even give their home numbers out if you have any questions on homework or school in general , they call it christmas show, easter break,
now contrast that to how a father was treated in massachusetts and how he wanted to know what the schook was telling his kid about it;'s ok for boys to dress like girls or even change to being a girl , on them reading a book called the king and king about two men falling in love and then showing 6 year olds the two men kissing
when he complained he got arrested and the school got a restraining order against him, then his kid was beaten up the school never did anything, the father then got crank calls saying bigot and then even some lesbian parents said he shouldn't have moved into the town

florida is nice well the northern part is still but the sun does get boring after a bit and christmas doesn't feel the same as it would in NH, plus it's flat here until you get to ocala which is horse country

Old 12-10-2007, 12:22 PM

45 posts, read 175,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
I am so disgusted with living here....I hope this isnt a problem in Keene. Tonight my family was in Old Navy shopping. There were these 2 girls or young women, who where in my way, so I said excuse me so I could pass. They just ignored me, so I said excuse me again...nothing, so this time I raised my voice some and said can you get out of my way please, then one of the girls started yelling at me F this, and F that, you Fn' B and C...I just stood there staring at them...I was in shock. All of this cuz I needed to get passed..and then one of the girls actually said she will see me in the parking lot to kick my a**. I really hate it here, and I hate all the boarder people that come over here with their crappy attitudes. They shouldnt even be in the country and yet they are wanting to kick my a**. I am truly at a loss. I havent been called names like that..um...well maybe the B word as some angry driver thinks I am not driving fast enough and passes me...I was sooo mad, it took me a few hours to calm down. I was ready to go kick some a** myself. Hey I might be small, but I dont like to be messed with. They followed us through the whole store and kept giving me filthy looks. So we waited for them to leave the store, as both my daughters were with us. Geez you arent even safe to shop at Old Navy without getting harassed. Is this a problem in Keene or even in NH? Are there mexican gangs or any kind of gangs for that matter, that try to scare you or confront you. This is what gives So Cali a bad name. These gangers are everywhere!!! I cant leave this state fast enough.
Wow, sounds like DC. The entire illegal's issue is big here too. Some counties are trying to pass resolutions denying social services (except police ect) and others are trying to pass resolutions saying they're a safe haven. For me personally, it has forced me to look at how blessed I am to be an American and how much I do take for granted. On the other hand, I won't apologize for being born American and do feel for society to remain lawful and intact, rules must be made and enforced. I'm all for immigration but legally. I can't help but feel a bit taken advantage of for being a law-abiding taxpayer and see my hard earned money funding programs for illegals when they could go to fund things like health care for my elderly mother who's disability doesn't cover her medications.

I had a scary incident happen about 2 years ago. I was driving to work (I work at a large university) and at the light that was approx. 200 yards infront of me, the right lane was blocked with construction. All of us in the right lane were taking turns merging to the left. Once we could get through the light, we could then begin to use the right lane again. I had my left turn light on and the car behind me was leaving room for me to merge in - at least I thought he was leaving room. I was able to inch my way into the left lane. Once in the left lane, the light turned red and so I stopped. I happen to look in the rear-view mirror and there was some punk kid with a gun in both hands and placed on the top of the steering wheel. I then sat him mimick firing it - tipping the end of the gun up and then down. For a second I was just dumbfounded. I called the police and gave the information and then the light turned. I started pulling forward and the guy behind me rushed around me. I got about 1/8 mile up the road and pulled off per the 911 dispatchers instruction. I saw the police pointing their guns and the kid getting out of the car - very COPS like. Turns out he was a student at the University I work at. He told the police he did it because I cut him off! He was expelled and spend some time in jail and paid fines ect. when we went to court. Scary! The police said that if they hadn't gotten to him by the time he was on campus, he would have committed a felony by bringing a gun on campus - in addition to the other charges. I kinda wished we had made it to campus, maybe he would have spent more time in jail!

I know every city and suburb has issues but I really would like to get to a place where the most annoying traffic issues isn't a police chase for a person with a gun but having to wait for farmer John to herd his cattle and sheep across the road.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:42 PM

762 posts, read 1,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunderlund View Post
Ah, sounds like Milwaukee Wisconsin.......I solved the problem by not shopping . Good luck in NH.
yep i was thinking the same thing

Old 12-10-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remember-voltaire View Post

florida is nice well the northern part is still but the sun does get boring after a bit and christmas doesn't feel the same as it would in NH, plus it's flat here until you get to ocala which is horse country
Umm. where are the hills in Ocala? I live just 20 minutes from Ocala and travel quite often there. I guess you could say they have some rolling hills but very far and few between. I agree with the sunshine state. It gets a bit borning every single day especially around the holidays. I get excited when we get down in the 30's and 40's or have a cloudy or rainy day on those rare occasions because it makes me want to take out the hot cocoa and just sit inside and snuggle on the couch all day watching TV and maybe step outside for a fresh breath of clean air. This mustly humid air feels kind of gross at times if that makes any sense.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:34 PM

450 posts, read 3,975 times
was in ocala for a dog show recently and drove though silver springs,

yea they have hills not big hills but hills compared to the rest of florida

Old 12-10-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remember-voltaire View Post
was in ocala for a dog show recently and drove though silver springs,

yea they have hills not big hills but hills compared to the rest of florida
True, If you ever get a chance, take a drive to Howey-in-the-hills. It's over by Leesburg. They have some hills. Probably the highest in the state which doesn't take much down here.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,300 times
Angry Moving

Sorry to hear about your problems in so cal. I myself was born and raised in the Keene area until joining the military. Of which, I spent 8 plus years in San Diego, so I believe I have a better idea of what your talking about than most. In Keene there are groups that may call themselves "gangs" but are just a bunch of bored kids. (Mostly taggers) I see a lot of nothing on Main street Keene from the hours of 11-7 (3rd shift). Dead quiet. There is only one college in town which is Keene State. The city bows to the them but that is expected to some extent becuase they bring in allot of $$. If u have any questions about this area I'd be happy to help. Have also lived in Newport, RI/Worcester, MA/Plainville, CT. Keene is by far the safest. Property taxes suck though!

Old 12-11-2007, 03:14 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,553,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unvrgs View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems in so cal. I myself was born and raised in the Keene area until joining the military. Of which, I spent 8 plus years in San Diego, so I believe I have a better idea of what your talking about than most. In Keene there are groups that may call themselves "gangs" but are just a bunch of bored kids. (Mostly taggers) I see a lot of nothing on Main street Keene from the hours of 11-7 (3rd shift). Dead quiet. There is only one college in town which is Keene State. The city bows to the them but that is expected to some extent becuase they bring in allot of $$. If u have any questions about this area I'd be happy to help. Have also lived in Newport, RI/Worcester, MA/Plainville, CT. Keene is by far the safest. Property taxes suck though!
Hey there unvrgs,
Welcome to the Forum. San Diego is beautiful. I havent been down there in years. And yes sadly it is prone to gangs too, what a shame in such a beautiful place... I promised my daughter before we move to Keene, that I will take her down to Sea World to swim with the Dolphins or the Beluga Whales, she wants both naturally..lol.

You might be sorry you offered to answer questions. The closer it gets to us moving there I am sure I will have a lot. Thanks for the offer. I think I would rather have a bit higher property tax and enjoy the safety and beauty that Keene offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire