Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:26 AM

275 posts, read 1,288,464 times

Advertisements

Enlighten me.......What's good?
Should I buy one of these electric deals for like 100 bucks?
Any tips on snow shoveling?
Forgive my ignorance, but being from GA, it's all new to me and I have no freakin clue!!
We are forecasted for some snow on Wednesday and I realized I have yet to get a snow shovel, or even a winter jacket!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 08:52 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
We have a few regular snow shovels and a few tools to break up the ice. I don't know about the electric ones-maybe someone else will know. I do however, recommend something to break the ice up. We have killed a few snow shovels using them to break up the ice. We have a couple of things that break up the ice-they sort of look like a hoe I guess. I am sure your local hardware store has them.

Also get some ice melt. It can be hard to find later in the year.

I also suggest the windshield wiper fluid for your car that is for below zero. It is usually pink or orange as opposed to blue and can be difficult to find as the winter goes on.

Nicolem

Old 10-20-2008, 09:00 AM

275 posts, read 1,288,464 times
Thanks Nicole.......so much to learn!

Old 10-20-2008, 01:32 PM

641 posts, read 2,370,037 times
Just get a regular shovel. Don't waste your money on that crap. You get good excercise shoveling snow.

Get rock salt too

Old 10-20-2008, 03:27 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
sounds like a gimmicky gadget to me. What, are you going to trail around an extension cord to tangle you up every time you try to toss a shovel full and move down the driveway?

The straightened hoe thing that nicole mentioned is good. We even have one down here - we don't get that much snow, but when you get a snow storm, we get an icestorm.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:08 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,072 times
Biggest thing is to get a solid straight handled snow shovel. The bent handled ones are nice to hold in the store, but difficult to use. One with a metal edge is a nice plus too. If you have a long driveway, then you can look into a snow blower in the future.

Remember to get a shovel now before it starts snowing, and they are all sold out.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:19 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedaddy View Post
Enlighten me.......What's good?
Should I buy one of these electric deals for like 100 bucks?
Any tips on snow shoveling?
Forgive my ignorance, but being from GA, it's all new to me and I have no freakin clue!!
We are forecasted for some snow on Wednesday and I realized I have yet to get a snow shovel, or even a winter jacket!
Hi Lukedaddy - First of all, the snow we're supposed to get on Wednesday most likely won't be a big deal, so don't freak out about it yet We're much further north than you are and they're predicting snow showers for us with temps in the high 30's on Wednesday, then into the 40's on Thursday

That being said - I don't know how old you are or what physical shape you're in - when shoveling, go slow and when there is a lot of it, don't try to lift 3 feet of the stuff with one "swoop" of the shovel....the stuff is heavy!

Unlike dubthang, we prefer the bent handled shovels and find them easier on our backs, but I think that may be a personal thing....we have both kinds and use both. We also have what I guess is a pick ax (?) for the ice if we need it, but we tend to get mostly snow up here with very little ice except when it thaws and then re-freezes.

As others have said, get the shovels, some ice melt, etc. now - as winter progresses, they will be harder to find. Someone mentioned rock salt - I'm not positive, and perhaps someone more knowledgeable will know, but I *think* rock salt is something you're not supposed to use on cement, as it eats it away? (Or is that an old wives tale? I really don't know) - we use the "pet friendly" ice melt as we have a dog and with that we don't have to worry about the ice melt stuff hurting her paws. If we run out of it, we also use kitty litter - it won't melt the ice, it makes a mess if you come into the house and don't take off your boots right by the door, but it does give traction on the icy areas.

Coming from GA, you're definitely going to feel the cold, so invest in high quality winter coats, gloves, scarves, hats, etc. I have a down-filled winter coat that I bought, gosh, over 10 years ago that I still wear - it doesn't looks so great now, but it sure is warm and definitely worth the money I spent on it then!

Old 10-21-2008, 05:35 AM

885 posts, read 2,660,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
That being said - I don't know how old you are or what physical shape you're in - when shoveling, go slow and when there is a lot of it, don't try to lift 3 feet of the stuff with one "swoop" of the shovel....the stuff is heavy!
Second that... know your limits. Snow shoveling causes a lot of heat attacks.

As far as ice is concerned... get ice melt (the packaged stuff), rock salt, or even water softening salt down on the ground BEFORE the storm this help to prevent the ice adhering to the surface. If you've got a big solid patch of ice that built up after a few snow/part-melt cycles then use a coarse sand to provide grip on it (ice melt will just sink through it).

On snow: Think about where you're making your piles and where the melt water (and subsequent ice) will go. Don't put a big pile next to the top of some steps, as they'll end up covered with ice later.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:19 AM

452 posts, read 1,732,150 times
I've been shoveling snow in NH for over 50 years. This, as far as I'm concerned, is one of the best shovels on the market. It really is not made to pick up snow but to plow it. And, when the snow is relatively light, this shovel can literally shoot it like a mini snow blower for a short distance.

Garant Yukon 24-Inch Heavy Duty Poly Snow Pusher

This company makes different sizes. The one I own is nearly 15 years old and I wouldn't trade it in for any other snow shovel I've ever run across. It's light and the snow won't stick to it unless it's very wet.

Hey, it's still work but this seems to just make it a bit easier.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:24 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,302,661 times
Throw your shovel in the trash and move south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire