Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 06:19 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,381,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well then, leave NH. Being in the military during peacetime makes it just a job, not some extraordinary sacrifice with threats to his life or limb.

Otherwise, it's not as if NH is rolling in money and can afford to give out discounts willy-nilly.
I had been in the military during peacetime for over 6 years on the morning of September 11th, 2001. Wasn't peacetime anymore after 0900. Would I have been able to say "yah, I'd like to get out now that we're going to war"? Sure, but it would have been a courts martial for me.

Famous quote:
"A Veteran Is Someone Who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to ‘The United States of America’ for an amount of ‘up to and including their life.’ "

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. I joined during peacetime, but I realized that all it takes is one act of terrorism or one Pearl Harbor and you're in the thick of it, next in line to be deployed to God knows where. Those who serve with honor realize this and do it anyway.

Did you have the opportunity to step up and serve, or are you just happy to shoot at those who do so from the sidelines?

I don't ask for any property tax handouts and I don't expect anything for my service but what I was promised from Uncle Sam, but if a town is nice enough to offer me a small credit I'll gladly take it and say thank you. And it's not a freakin "willy-nilly" discount. There are many "handouts" that are willy-nilly and a waste of taxpayer money, but apparently the town of Barrington and Somersworth thinks that a veterans tax credit is a nice way to say "thanks for writing that check".

Maybe you're a nice person, I'll assume that. I'll just assume you have absolutely no idea what military service is like, even during peacetime, if you're comparing it to just a regular job. When I come back this summer, I'd be glad to meet you for a beer or coffee and explain what it means, day to day, to serve in the military and what is asked of us.

Last edited by steveusaf; 03-23-2014 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Added something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 08:48 PM

836 posts, read 1,661,309 times
Terrorists were blowing us up in Germany etc in the 80's but we weren't considered war vets.

Veterans benefits in each state: State Veteran's Benefits | Military.com

Guide probably isn't 100% accurate so please check your state offices and thank you for your service!

Old 03-24-2014, 08:12 PM

I called the Barrington Assessors Office today and they told me it's a $450 property tax credit for veterans that served before 1975 or after 1990, or have a campaign medal (guess that would count Grenada, Panama, Bosnia, and Kosovo from 1975 to 1990). 90 days service with an Honorable Discharge. So anyone serving after 9/11, whether they deployed or not, would be eligible. I take it the OPs husband was a Cold War warrior. I do believe it's a bit unfair - while not involved in combat, there were many times it could have gone south and gotten real very quickly. Commies coming across the Fulda Gap, full scale nuclear war, etc....

Old 03-25-2014, 06:44 AM

8 posts, read 16,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormglitter View Post
I think your husband deserves a discount. He was ready to serve if necessary he just didn't have to. Thank you for his service.
thank you for understanding

Old 03-25-2014, 07:26 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
I had been in the military during peacetime for over 6 years on the morning of September 11th, 2001. Wasn't peacetime anymore after 0900. Would I have been able to say "yah, I'd like to get out now that we're going to war"? Sure, but it would have been a courts martial for me.

Famous quote:
"A Veteran Is Someone Who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to ‘The United States of America’ for an amount of ‘up to and including their life.’ "

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. I joined during peacetime, but I realized that all it takes is one act of terrorism or one Pearl Harbor and you're in the thick of it, next in line to be deployed to God knows where. Those who serve with honor realize this and do it anyway.

Did you have the opportunity to step up and serve, or are you just happy to shoot at those who do so from the sidelines?

I don't ask for any property tax handouts and I don't expect anything for my service but what I was promised from Uncle Sam, but if a town is nice enough to offer me a small credit I'll gladly take it and say thank you. And it's not a freakin "willy-nilly" discount. There are many "handouts" that are willy-nilly and a waste of taxpayer money, but apparently the town of Barrington and Somersworth thinks that a veterans tax credit is a nice way to say "thanks for writing that check".

Maybe you're a nice person, I'll assume that. I'll just assume you have absolutely no idea what military service is like, even during peacetime, if you're comparing it to just a regular job. When I come back this summer, I'd be glad to meet you for a beer or coffee and explain what it means, day to day, to serve in the military and what is asked of us.
Yes. But what about a police officer or firefighter? They put their lives on the line daily and could be equally at risk to their life or limbs. What about undercover police work investigating drug dealers? Or having to answer a domestic dispute call where there are firearms in the house and maybe the residents hyped up with alcohol and/or drugs? Or pulling over a speeding car at night? And I do appreciate just as much anyone willing to go into a burning building to save someone else's loved ones and even their pets.

From my personal observations, those that enlisted in peacetime did so because it was the best career opportunity for them. Not one enlisted for the higher purpose of protecting our country. They did it for the sign up bonuses, the opportunity to be taught specialized job skills (like helicopter mechanic), possibility of worldwide travel, later college tuition being paid, and other military benefits. One met his wife overseas and now works at a helicopter factory. About eight years ago, I encountered a young man who had no college prospects and was earmarking his military bonuses for a new BMW sportscar that he wouldn't be able to afford otherwise. I know a few who served during the Vietnam war era, and again, they enlisted because they had no other career path available to them. They didn't sign up to protect the US interests. They also were naive to the horrors of war. But none had any hero complexes.

I just don't like the OP's attitude that our military are somehow more special than our civilian service people... especially after 9-11. And ALL NH residents HATE our high property tax bills, we'd ALL like to have some relief from them. Discounts for some mean a higher tax burden for the rest.

BTW I am very happy for the OP that her husband was never deployed. They really won the lottery on that one, and that should be enough of a reward for them.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Yes. But what about a police officer or firefighter? They put their lives on the line daily and could be equally at risk to their life or limbs. What about undercover police work investigating drug dealers? Or having to answer a domestic dispute call where there are firearms in the house and maybe the residents hyped up with alcohol and/or drugs? Or pulling over a speeding car at night? And I do appreciate just as much anyone willing to go into a burning building to save someone else's loved ones and even their pets.

From my personal observations, those that enlisted in peacetime did so because it was the best career opportunity for them. Not one enlisted for the higher purpose of protecting our country. They did it for the sign up bonuses, the opportunity to be taught specialized job skills (like helicopter mechanic), possibility of worldwide travel, later college tuition being paid, and other military benefits. One met his wife overseas and now works at a helicopter factory. About eight years ago, I encountered a young man who had no college prospects and was earmarking his military bonuses for a new BMW sportscar that he wouldn't be able to afford otherwise. I know a few who served during the Vietnam war era, and again, they enlisted because they had no other career path available to them. They didn't sign up to protect the US interests. They also were naive to the horrors of war. But none had any hero complexes.

I just don't like the OP's attitude that our military are somehow more special than our civilian service people... especially after 9-11. And ALL NH residents HATE our high property tax bills, we'd ALL like to have some relief from them. Discounts for some mean a higher tax burden for the rest.

BTW I am very happy for the OP that her husband was never deployed. They really won the lottery on that one, and that should be enough of a reward for them.
I love cops and firefighters and EMT, and there's many similarities between them and military, but there's also one big difference - they can walk away whenever they want to (not that most of them would). In the military, you can't just quit when you don't like how things are going - that's called AWOL or desertion.

Cops and firefighters and EMT also go home to their families every night, whereas military do not necessarily do so. They may be out in the field for days or weeks at a time, Temporary Duty in another location, or even assigned to remote locations where they cannot take their families. That doesn't even count a deployment.

As for why people join the military, its true that many join for the other benefits. I sure did - I wanted an education and was about to get evicted from my apartment after getting my car repossessed. However, after my first enlistment I "got it" and got hooked on the larger sense of purpose and service. That's why I stayed.

Military are not any more special than anyone else. Anyone willing to put their life on the line for something larger than themselves deserves a lot of credit. I don't know why police, firefighters, and EMT don't get the same tax credit in New Hampshire - I wouldn't be against it. But don't say that they do the same type of job as military personnel. They don't, and to say they do is evidence that most people don't know what military life is like. These days, only about 1 out of every 10 New Hampshire people have served in the military so that knowledge just isn't there.

Oh, and by the way, some people do enlist strictly for the service to their country. I've seen many of them myself - not from poor backgrounds, and had plenty of opportunity.

I for one am glad NH is veteran friendly and hope it stays that way.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:43 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,335 times
I served in combat during war time. My town offers me a $500 tax credit for serving during war time. Vets in my town that served during peace time are not eligible for the tax credit.

Home depot offers me no discount though they give my neighbor a 10% discount because he has a service related injury that he received during peacetime. Now that's a slap in the face.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:50 PM

Discount at home depot may be for military retirees and current active duty only.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:26 PM

382 posts, read 397,318 times
We recently purchased some land in NH where we will be building our retirement home and I also noted the wartime vs. peacetime veterans tax credit. It wasn't too much a surprise to me since our current state (CT) has the same rules and since I served between 75-81 will not be eligible. I found it a little disappointing because many military positions are just as dangerous during peacetime evolutions. However, I do not consider it a slap in the face, it is what it is. One thing you learn in life is that it's not always fair, so you make the best of what you got.

However, as steveusaf identified unless you have served or are related to a service member, you most likely do not fully comprehend the commitment or what is involved, so please do not consider it a "normal job" or criticize those asking about the decision. Certainly those that serve the public good (police, correction officers, firefighters, EMT's, etc) have a challenging and dangerous job, but they are compensated significantly better than your average service member and always have the option to leave. Also, how many of them are required to leave their family and friends during most holidays or for extended periods of time (6 mo. to a year)? I was deployed on a fast attack submarine and most of our oversea deployments were at least 7 months long with no communications other than letters when we finally pulled into a port for supplies. Since this was a voluntary decision on my part and one of the best experiences of my life (although I would not have believed it at the time), I am not seeking any special considerations or benefits, but simply request that you do not make a judgment about what the job involves. Also, I did not interpret the OP's post to imply the military folks are better than any other group within our society.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:01 PM

611 posts, read 1,204,354 times
Guess I am a little naïve to military jargon but I had always assumed that veterans served during combat periods and everyone else was a former service man or woman. Now I am enlightened. I did peruse a couple of other states' tax breaks for veterans as my grandfathers were both in combat as well as my husband's father. One state was rather vague on property taxes and in SC (which generally has nice tax incentives for retirees) they only offered a discount for those who were permanently disabled veterans. So I guess NH isn't much different than other states?
I would prefer to see a much larger discount than $50 to combat veterans than spreading that out to anyone who has served.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire