Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 08:51 PM

489 posts, read 964,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I asked my husband he said about 750 sqft.....
$575-ish per month to heat that place in the winter? Someone was getting over on you and your husband. Our house was over 3,500 square feet and we paid about $800 per month for propane/electricity. It was a two story home with a basement, standalone, built in 2006.

-Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 05:18 AM

219 posts, read 366,611 times
Years ago when we lived in a condo it was about $100 +/- to heat the place using the electric baseboards. We did keep the place cold, around 60F, and the association heated the common areas.

We now heat with pellets, have spent around $600 to keep our 2000 sqft house in the mid 70's during this brutal winter. Oil is only used for hot water ~150 gals per year. Over my 35 years in new hampshire I have heated with coal, oil, pellets, propane and cord wood at various times- nothing comes close to pellets for the combination of cost, maintenence and cleanliness. A years stash requires about 40 sqft in the basement.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:12 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I asked my husband he said about 750 sqft... I originally thought closer to 950 but he looked at me like I was crazy...
Sweetbottoms-do you remember how many rental units were in the building? If you will tell me the address I can do some checking for you. That number is crazy high!

Old 03-27-2014, 05:07 PM

571 posts, read 1,318,293 times
Don't forget that if your apartment is above others, you will benefit from their heat rising.
I had a ground floor apt for 6 yrs and with electric heat it was a challenge staying warm. A co worker lived on the third floor of the same building and didn't have to tun on the heat as he was toasty warm from the apts below!

Old 03-27-2014, 06:00 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Sweetbottoms-do you remember how many rental units were in the building? If you will tell me the address I can do some checking for you. That number is crazy high!
Total it was 3 .. It was a colonial. On half had both up and down and our half the up and down was split into two units. We had upstairs. . I called less than a year ago, just to see if we could get our old bills with the amounts but their records went back to 09 and we moved 08. We had friend who were thinkin of moving up north and didn't believe heating was more than heating down here.

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 03-27-2014 at 06:32 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
$575-ish per month to heat that place in the winter? Someone was getting over on you and your husband. Our house was over 3,500 square feet and we paid about $800 per month for propane/electricity. It was a two story home with a basement, standalone, built in 2006.

-Mike
We had the gas company out twice to try and figure it out and our landlord. They just kept telling us because gas was close to $5 a gallon (07-08) that the amount was accurate .

Old 03-28-2014, 07:27 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
Were you ever able to verify that your billed gas meter was actually going to YOUR apartment? Your neighbor with the 2-floors should have had almost double your bill. Usually the 2nd floor heating price is a little cheaper than 1st floor, due to heat rising (especially in a poorly insulated older home). This was probably a former single family home that was carved up into rental units, and I'll wonder if the tenant next door was getting your bills, and vice versa. I've actually seen this in some rentals in Massachusetts, where the meter was mis-identified.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Were you ever able to verify that your billed gas meter was actually going to YOUR apartment? Your neighbor with the 2-floors should have had almost double your bill. Usually the 2nd floor heating price is a little cheaper than 1st floor, due to heat rising (especially in a poorly insulated older home). This was probably a former single family home that was carved up into rental units, and I'll wonder if the tenant next door was getting your bills, and vice versa. I've actually seen this in some rentals in Massachusetts, where the meter was mis-identified.
Yep we had them out twice and that was initially our concern, it seemed the most logical. Plus the electricity is high up there compared to here so add another $175 a month and it was killin us. Even the gas guys came out they seemed to think the bill was high, but again they simply told us it was because gas prices were so high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire