Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 10:55 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times

Advertisements

Well again, I am fine with NH not becoming a mecca for pot-heads. So you really want more people wanting to move into here and the state becoming less rural? I don't think that legalizing pot would be a beneficial change for us.

Legalizing pot would also add more local government personnel to oversee the process. And who wants more government? Or another substance to tax?

I say, just leave things the way they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 11:38 AM

611 posts, read 1,204,808 times
The least the state could do would be to make it legal to grow low THC grade hemp for industrial use. When you read of all of the possible uses for the plant as well as the low carbon footprint, it's astounding that it ever became criminalized. The first permitted house was built out of hemp in Asheville, NC recently. But I guess we should just import it from China like we do everything else

Old 04-06-2014, 11:48 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady fern View Post
The least the state could do would be to make it legal to grow low THC grade hemp for industrial use. When you read of all of the possible uses for the plant as well as the low carbon footprint, it's astounding that it ever became criminalized. The first permitted house was built out of hemp in Asheville, NC recently. But I guess we should just import it from China like we do everything else
That's what I posted earlier. Growing hemp for industrial use would be productive.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:19 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoodnutt View Post
... My Wife & I are considering moving out of Connecticut, seeking more personal freedom's, in regards to Cannabis. ...
Your biggest criterion in where to live is that you can smoke marijuana?

I am in favor of decriminalization, but I never want to live in a place where it is legal to smoke it outside in public. (I don't THINK that states that have allowed it allow public smoking, but just in case ...)

As for what you do in your own house, that's your business. Many apartments and rental houses, though, don't allow ANY smoking inside, so you would be out of luck with them.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
We damn well should legalize the stuff and sell it in our state liquor stores alongside the booze and wine. Although I do not use the stuff I do not think it should be a criminal act to do so. Anecdotally a friend of a relative was starving to death due to the cancer chemotherapy. Somebody gave her a joint and within an hour of smoking it she regained her appetite and kept down the first solid food she had in weeks. She is now in recovery from both the cancer and the starvation.

When the medical benefits, even if the do not accrue to Big Pharma, and the industry uses of this plant are all added up the continued prohibition is absurd.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:55 AM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We damn well should legalize the stuff and sell it in our state liquor stores alongside the booze and wine. Although I do not use the stuff I do not think it should be a criminal act to do so. Anecdotally a friend of a relative was starving to death due to the cancer chemotherapy. Somebody gave her a joint and within an hour of smoking it she regained her appetite and kept down the first solid food she had in weeks. She is now in recovery from both the cancer and the starvation.

When the medical benefits, even if the do not accrue to Big Pharma, and the industry uses of this plant are all added up the continued prohibition is absurd.
So you are in favour of legalizing marijuana for medicinal uses... but what about for purely recreational use?

And you suggest selling it in our state liquor stores, but what about residents selling it?

Otherwise, many point to Amsterdam as a good example of legal marijuana use, but like a village pub in the UK, the difference is that the smoking and drinking is set within a very pedestrian setting. People are able to walk or use alternative means of transportation back home after they've indulged rather than get in their own motor vehicle as the driver.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:03 AM

473 posts, read 2,754,747 times
It makes me sad reading some of these responses. I just don't get the hate and hypocrisy over pot. Alcohol is way more damaging to your body physically, is responsible for addiction and violence, and untold numbers of drunk driving accidents, yet you can pick up booze in any store, and there's a bar in every other corner. Yet people look and talk about pot (who has many health benefits, is a huge cash cow for states like Colorado, and doesn't have the negative health effects), like it's the end of the world as we know it.

I'll tell you this much. I rather have a stoner next to me than a drunk. Don't really hear of many people smoking a joint and beating their wife and kids.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:49 AM

304 posts, read 397,068 times
Default My thoughts EXACTLY...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaillo View Post
it makes me sad reading some of these responses. i just don't get the hateand hypocrisy over pot. alcohol is way more damaging to your body physically, is responsible for addiction and violence, and untold numbers of drunk driving accidents, yet you can pick up booze in any store, and there's a bar in every other corner. Yet people look and talk about pot (who has many health benefits, is a huge cash cow for states like colorado, and doesn't have the negative health effects), like it's the end of the world as we know it.

i'll tell you this much. I rather have a stoner next to me than a drunk. Don't really hear of many people smoking a joint and beating their wife and kids.
amen to that!!!

Old 04-07-2014, 11:26 AM

176 posts, read 298,823 times
Where's the hypocrisy? I think everyone has said they don't find it damaging as much as the people who use it and crow about it are generally undesirable.
There seems to be very little on either side to make any sort of argument. Yes, it's as harmful, probably, overall as alcohol, but because alcohol is legal isn't an excuse to legalize marijuana. It's more an argument against advocating any kind of intoxicants.
The argument against, right now, is that there aren't legal steps to make supply equal to demand ( I'd much rather have an amature brewer for a neighbor than a drug-runner), or to legalize growing the plant for personal use.
So far, all I hear from OP is FSP nonsense that doesn't fit in with the responsible liberty NH actually lives by. If you want it legal, go to your legislators with real arguments, not "muh freedoms!" Of course legislators listen to booze makers, booze makers show up to offices with charts about job growth and revenue, while pro-pot folks show up with peace signs or, more so now, AR-15s, and loud voices. Who would you listen to?

Old 04-07-2014, 12:58 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfheim View Post
Where's the hypocrisy? I think everyone has said they don't find it damaging as much as the people who use it and crow about it are generally undesirable.
There seems to be very little on either side to make any sort of argument. Yes, it's as harmful, probably, overall as alcohol, but because alcohol is legal isn't an excuse to legalize marijuana. It's more an argument against advocating any kind of intoxicants.
Really? You think marijuana is equally physically harmful as alcohol? How many people die every weekend from "THC poisoning".

So far, all I hear from OP is FSP nonsense that doesn't fit in with the responsible liberty NH actually lives by. If you want it legal, go to your legislators with real arguments, not "muh freedoms!" Of course legislators listen to booze makers, booze makers show up to offices with charts about job growth and revenue, while pro-pot folks show up with peace signs or, more so now, AR-15s, and loud voices. Who would you listen to?[/quote]
More realistically, booze makers show up with briefcases full of untraceable cash, so of course they have the legislatures ear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire