Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BEST PART OF STATE TO LIVE IN
NORTH OF CONCORD 186 58.13%
CONCORD AND SOUTH 134 41.88%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:18 PM

354 posts, read 1,273,193 times

Advertisements

I don't want to get involved too much in the changing politics of NH.

I lived in NH from 91-2005 and for the most part loved it.
Barrington, Dover, Nashua, Manchester.
98% of NH is just fine and compared to bad areas in MA the bad areas in NH are superb. Lowell, Lawrence, Woosta and Springfield are much worse than Nashua and Manchester. Lets not forget Bahston (Boston)

I was born and raised in MA and I would never go back to the area I grew up in RT 128 North - Woburn/Burlington. I still have strong feelings for the area but......

bad areas??

Manchester 50/50. It's a small city. We were Landlords On the west side. We know who where the good and bad people were. The downtown area is getting redone. New clubs and restaraunts, Verizon Center for AHL hockey and concerts, New minor league baseball park -Fisher Cats -Toronto Blue Jays. Inner city has it's problems, outer edges are fine, nice single family neighborhoods. North End is superb. Some crime but you don't see any of these towns on COPS. I live in Fla. now and it's like seeing COPS live sometimes.

Nashua 50/50 much like Manchester - I don't have as much history there.

Rochester - mostly nice but has it's bad areas

Dover - hidden gem but I think a lot of people are starting to figure that out - very close to Portsmouth.

Concord - very nice and left wing and some money

Lebanon - same as Concord - even more left - bring a big wallet

Portsmouth - Left wing and expensive - very nice place

(I think there is a common thread here) - prop taxes tend to be higher in these richer towns.

Claremont - old poor mill town on the VT border - known for the "Claremont decision" in which they didn't bring in enough tax money to fund the schools so they had to tax the richer (read above) towns more to cover the poor towns.

Merrimack - nice town but has 2-3 toll booths - how did they screwed?

The rest of NH is very country bumpkin like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 02:28 PM

254 posts, read 1,142,471 times
Default I see the same arguement with North vs South

I read alot about how people from NC blame New Yorkers and other Northerners for turning the place so liberal and destroying their little slumber party down there. I lived in NC for 23 years and of all the Yankees I knew, I can say that a great majority of them were Republican and if they weren’t conservative, they had grown to be more conservative and with a protectionist view toward small town values. After all, most move there to find the stereotypical "Mayberry" and vote to find and keep "Mayberry".

My own findings were that yes, there were liberal Yankees, but most of the people born & bred right there in NC were the ones that craved more & more growth and demanded more infrastructure and voted for bigger "everything" which they don’t realize means more taxes.

So, while I think the influx of people from MA into NH does take it toll, that report may be right that the political climate can not be pinned squarely on them. I think those in NH havent been involved in the process and have not gone to the city and county meetings like they used to. And maybe like they should once again to strongly voice whatever it is they want. I really wish the best for NH. It still could be one of the best states in the country.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:32 PM

17 posts, read 114,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
Actually, Exeter's not too bad, taxes and home prices are a bit high for my liking.

Newmarket is good, and so is Brentwood. Don't move to Epping if you have kids.

Avoid Manchester like the plague unless you want to be around a bunch of criminally-influenced Mass. rejects.
Thanks for that.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:28 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,007 times
If you want to live in NH then keep driving north for 20 minutes once you hit Concord. Otherwise you are in Northern Mass.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 17,704 times
You know! when I moved up here from upper westport CT in Weston one thing I can say is this state really needs bus and train service for all the people who live in NH to get jobs all over NH. If the people in NH had a way to get to a job in NH then not so many would need the state for help like food stamps and such. Its the local government in NH fault and the people not speaking up. Their was over 30,000 people last year in this state that where out of work. If state had bus and train service about 70% of them people would have been working. I grow up in brooklyn NY one thing you learn is don't ***** about the people who come in to your town from other states, wave hello because they are the ones spending the money in your town. With out other people visiting NH this state would still be in the 1940's state of mind LOL. Not to say it still is in many ways LOL and it is no matter how you look at this state. Also I like to comment on how every town saids its broke and their a poor town,....!Yeah Right! some buddy is feeding some ones wallet in these towns and I think all of you should find out who they are, and also ask where is all the money going. Remember its your taxes dollars that are missing and can not be counted for. Ask at your local town meetings where is all the town tax money going and ask to make them records public as a tax payer. I am n ot trying to blow out the flame of so many like my self that love living here in NH but really people bitching is not going to make any changes unless you step up and fight and make your voices herd load. NH needs a real big slap in its butt from big city ideas and that is the only way NH will ever change for the best of its future. Don't you all think its time to say hey! NH its time to wake up and join the rest of the world??

Old 08-28-2007, 03:26 PM

Default As the Geico cave man would say....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroddaddy View Post
You know! when I moved up here from upper westport CT in Weston one thing I can say is this state really needs bus and train service for all the people who live in NH to get jobs all over NH. If the people in NH had a way to get to a job in NH then not so many would need the state for help like food stamps and such. Its the local government in NH fault and the people not speaking up. Their was over 30,000 people last year in this state that where out of work. If state had bus and train service about 70% of them people would have been working. I grow up in brooklyn NY one thing you learn is don't ***** about the people who come in to your town from other states, wave hello because they are the ones spending the money in your town. With out other people visiting NH this state would still be in the 1940's state of mind LOL. Not to say it still is in many ways LOL and it is no matter how you look at this state. Also I like to comment on how every town saids its broke and their a poor town,....!Yeah Right! some buddy is feeding some ones wallet in these towns and I think all of you should find out who they are, and also ask where is all the money going. Remember its your taxes dollars that are missing and can not be counted for. Ask at your local town meetings where is all the town tax money going and ask to make them records public as a tax payer. I am n ot trying to blow out the flame of so many like my self that love living here in NH but really people bitching is not going to make any changes unless you step up and fight and make your voices herd load. NH needs a real big slap in its butt from big city ideas and that is the only way NH will ever change for the best of its future. Don't you all think its time to say hey! NH its time to wake up and join the rest of the world??
As the Geico cave man would say....

Ahhhh............. What?????

Transportation system for NH ??? 30,000 out of work out of 1,314,895 is only 2%. This ain't Broooklyn......NH don't want to join the rest of the world.

This has got to be a joke response because the same thing can be said about all New England States... even the upper crust Conn. population.....

Old 08-30-2007, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 5,112 times
Default Derry

People from Salem call people from Derry Derry-licts.

Too many apartments there which harbor low income scum and dirtbags.

Pinkerton Academy is the only good thing Derry has to offer.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:06 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Whenever I hear the town Derry I think about dairy food!

Old 08-30-2007, 11:07 PM

Derry and Rt 28 are a direct route to Lawrence Mass. eeeeekkkkk

Old 08-31-2007, 03:38 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Whenever I hear the town Derry I think about dairy food!
Haha, it makes me think of "Dairy Queen", and then I want an ice cream cone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire