Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BEST PART OF STATE TO LIVE IN
NORTH OF CONCORD 186 58.13%
CONCORD AND SOUTH 134 41.88%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:34 PM

113 posts, read 342,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Oh, and don't worry about being listed as bad drivers - according to CNN the 'new' list came out and the top 5 are (in no particular order, cause I don't remember): NYC, Boston, Miami, DC & Baltimore! what a surprise: I'm stuck between 2 of the worst drivers But once you get NH plates and drive considerately, no one will know you learned in Mass.
I so agree with that. I have drove in all but DC and Baltimore so I can totally understand that. When we moved to TN we still had the Mass plates on the cars and I think people saw that and I am sure weren't happy lol If you ask my fiance he would say the people down here can't drive lol. But I am sure when you are used to driving somewhere so long you get accustom to the people around you then start driving somewhere else you would think if they don't drive like you they can't drive.

My fiance and I are looking for the "country living", small town type. We are both from western MA originally and while we don't mind it we are kinda looking for someplace different in either northern MA or southern NH or VT. We haven't decided yet. We don't disrespect people for the way they were brought up or what they believe in, neither of us were raised that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 09:43 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,000,390 times
western Mass can be lovely - for the bit that I traveled through. If you're used to being that far away from cities and much of anything to do, then border towns in western NH might interest you. If you want a little more activity, look east of Nashua (but it does get more expensive that direction) where you're also north of Boston.

NH just digs its heels in and resents anyone that moves in and immediately starts wanting to change things. It may not be perfect, but it's way of life is a 'cherished institution' As long as you don't buck that (and have a sense of humor for the inevitable Mass digs, but they'll probably make you an exception ) you and your fiance would do fine. After all: Valerie has just owned up to being raised in Mass, and see how everyone likes her!

Old 05-17-2008, 06:36 AM

9 posts, read 21,088 times
Default safety

Derry, Manchester, Salem, Nashua are all becoming more and more crowded and it's making NH like Massachusetts. Crime, overcrowding, rude people. They are cutting down all of the beautiful trees and building all kinds of houses that we don't need up here. It's not the country any more. This state is being ruined more and more each day. It's very sad. No one wants to preserve land anymore. They will build a house anywhere.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdc View Post
Derry, Manchester, Salem, Nashua are all becoming more and more crowded and it's making NH like Massachusetts. Crime, overcrowding, rude people. They are cutting down all of the beautiful trees and building all kinds of houses that we don't need up here. It's not the country any more. This state is being ruined more and more each day. It's very sad. No one wants to preserve land anymore. They will build a house anywhere.
In my opinion that kind of stuff should stay in the city areas. It is a shame that the "country" spots are getting taken over like that. I have never lived in the country but my finace lived in Granby, MA (one of the most country areas in the hamden country) and they lived there, I want to say 10-15 years, and had their privacy until about 3 years ago. Someone bought the lot next to them and built a house on the hill, so now their neighbors basically look out their window and watch what they do. It almost like they are in his backyard. It is pretty ridiculous.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
western Mass can be lovely - for the bit that I traveled through. If you're used to being that far away from cities and much of anything to do, then border towns in western NH might interest you. If you want a little more activity, look east of Nashua (but it does get more expensive that direction) where you're also north of Boston.

NH just digs its heels in and resents anyone that moves in and immediately starts wanting to change things. It may not be perfect, but it's way of life is a 'cherished institution' As long as you don't buck that (and have a sense of humor for the inevitable Mass digs, but they'll probably make you an exception ) you and your fiance would do fine. After all: Valerie has just owned up to being raised in Mass, and see how everyone likes her!
Great, thanks for the information. Yeah, I think we would be fine, we have never done things to anger our neighbors.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:34 PM

9 posts, read 21,088 times
Default Increase in crime from people migrating here.

I agree, it's ruining a beautiful life for the rest of us. It's supposed to be clean country living where people are friendly and nice to each other. These people are not coming here to live a good life and raise a family. The crime in Manchester is awful. It shouldn't be allowed to happen.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:58 PM

3 posts, read 7,579 times
The people complaining about the crazy amount of crime in Manchester really ought to get out and see the world. Having lived in Albany, NY for 6 years I got to watch the news and hear about crime nearly constantly. I used to receive "warning" emails from my grad school because of stabbings in a neighborhood that was mostly college students and really should not have had that type of crime. The crime in Manchester is mild compared to most cities of a similar size. Give the place a break.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:48 AM

14 posts, read 43,904 times
Hi! I am writing from Chicago under the dictatorship of Mayor Daley in the Peoples Republic of ILLinois. Don't let the people of Mass. take over New Hampshire and its values. Stand strong! Here our schools are so bad that we are number 49 (according to Obama there is 57 states so I quess 49 isn't as bad as I thought). Crime is running rapid, its completely lawless here, and of course we can't say who is doing most of the crime. Our state welcomes and invite illigals to come and live here whether they have jobs or not (what the heck the tax payers will pay the bills the illigals create) and what about the gangs being formed by the illgals and legals. Why not we are being over run by them here anyway. Our freedom is being taken away from us too, we can't do this we can't do that. Next we will be told what kind of napkin we can blow our nose with and what corner. What I am saying is liberlism is hell to live under and its nobodys fault but our own because the people (not me) voted these jerks in and complain about them but come election time they vote the very same people who made their live hell right back in. Unfortunely the people of Mass. are bringing the same ideas that wreaked their state along with them and will try to do the same thing to New Hampshire. You can take them out of the state but you can't take the state out of them.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:47 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,301,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krebstar View Post
The people complaining about the crazy amount of crime in Manchester really ought to get out and see the world. Having lived in Albany, NY for 6 years I got to watch the news and hear about crime nearly constantly. I used to receive "warning" emails from my grad school because of stabbings in a neighborhood that was mostly college students and really should not have had that type of crime. The crime in Manchester is mild compared to most cities of a similar size. Give the place a break.
With all due respect, I have "been out and seen the world". I went to graduate school in Camden NJ-usually in the top 5-sometimes number 1-for the murder capital of the country-so I know what real crime is. I also spent time interviewing and taking exams in Newark, NJ. These places make Manchester look like a paradise.

However, the problem that many are concerned with and are talking about is the INCREASE in crime in Manchester over the past few years. Just because Manchester is "not as bad" as Newark, NJ or other places does not mean people should not be concerned or upset when the crime has increased as much as it has. My husband used to work in Manchester and had to park quite a distance. There have been a few people robbed/attacked on his old footpath-some in daylight. He worked in Manchester until 2003 and never had any problems like that.

People here have a right to discuss changes in crime that they see. It should be a concern. I for one want Manchester to improve-not decline. Manchester is NH's largest city and has the most crime. I think that it is legitimate for people to discuss it. We don't live in Albany, NY or Camden, NJ. We live in New Hampshire.

Nicolem

Last edited by nicolem; 08-13-2008 at 06:57 AM..

Old 08-13-2008, 01:48 PM

105 posts, read 208,434 times
<P>
Quote:
Originally Posted by katrose View Post
the gangs being formed by the illgals .
The "illgals?" That some new girl gang popping up in Chicago?

As far as people from Massachusetts invading and ruining NH--it's just a lot of hot air for the most part. Lots of great people in Mass, and it's not that bad a place to live, really.

Last edited by jmatt; 08-13-2008 at 02:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire