U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BEST PART OF STATE TO LIVE IN
NORTH OF CONCORD 185 57.99%
CONCORD AND SOUTH 134 42.01%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:28 AM

14 posts, read 39,216 times

Advertisements

MFWIC
I see you were in the military. My father was in the Air Force since he was seventeen and stayed in until he retired. He was a air traffic controller and a pilot my brother was also in the air force. My great uncle was a major in the army intelligenace, he actually broke the Japanese code during WWII. So see we are not so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 12:31 PM

213 posts, read 445,164 times
You know, you guys are feeding into this OP, and he's taking it all in. He's enjoying it. Personally I would like to know {in your opinion}what the worst places to live in NH are.
Growing up an army brat & moving state to state, sometime out of country, I never really cared before. Never really had a home state. Hopefully NH will be.----Thanx

Old 08-17-2008, 01:31 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,270,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosrto View Post
You know, you guys are feeding into this OP, and he's taking it all in. He's enjoying it. Personally I would like to know {in your opinion}what the worst places to live in NH are.
Growing up an army brat & moving state to state, sometime out of country, I never really cared before. Never really had a home state. Hopefully NH will be.----Thanx
mosrto - I think it all depends on what you're looking for as to what's a "good" place and what isn't. Although I haven't been to southern areas of the state for any length of time (I used to visit Nashua frequently many years ago), I know that, for me, I wouldn't be happy in the more built-up areas. I like the more rural and "open" areas of where we are. I'm not saying the rest of the state is "bad" (especially since I haven't spent a lot of time there), just that I like our area better, for me

I was lucky, in that I could bring my job with me - my husband had to find work, which can be hard in our area, but he 'lucked out' and found first a woodworking job, then a furniture making job and that he enjoys immensely after many years in the "corporate world".

Winters can be harsh up here, but even with that, I still like it, even though I will b*tch and complain when it gets really, really cold or if we get a LOT of snow like last year

I'm not a "mall person" so I'm very content with the little shops we have up here, if I enjoyed malls, then I'd be very unhappy. I don't need 24-hour stores or places that deliver food to your door, if I wanted that, then I wouldn't be happy up here either.

It's all in what you're looking for and how far you are willing to travel to get it, IMO. Our children are grown, so we don't have to "worry" about the school systems, etc. Coming from NY, although people here say the property taxes are high, to us, they are low - the house we bought here in Littleton, if we had found something like it in NY would probably have cost us at least twice as much to buy and the taxes would most likely have been triple what we pay here, so I guess it's all kinda "relative".

Hope this makes some kind of sense

Old 08-17-2008, 01:48 PM

213 posts, read 445,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
mosrto - I think it all depends on what you're looking for as to what's a "good" place and what isn't. Although I haven't been to southern areas of the state for any length of time (I used to visit Nashua frequently many years ago), I know that, for me, I wouldn't be happy in the more built-up areas. I like the more rural and "open" areas of where we are. I'm not saying the rest of the state is "bad" (especially since I haven't spent a lot of time there), just that I like our area better, for me

I was lucky, in that I could bring my job with me - my husband had to find work, which can be hard in our area, but he 'lucked out' and found first a woodworking job, then a furniture making job and that he enjoys immensely after many years in the "corporate world".

Winters can be harsh up here, but even with that, I still like it, even though I will b*tch and complain when it gets really, really cold or if we get a LOT of snow like last year

I'm not a "mall person" so I'm very content with the little shops we have up here, if I enjoyed malls, then I'd be very unhappy. I don't need 24-hour stores or places that deliver food to your door, if I wanted that, then I wouldn't be happy up here either.

It's all in what you're looking for and how far you are willing to travel to get it, IMO. Our children are grown, so we don't have to "worry" about the school systems, etc. Coming from NY, although people here say the property taxes are high, to us, they are low - the house we bought here in Littleton, if we had found something like it in NY would probably have cost us at least twice as much to buy and the taxes would most likely have been triple what we pay here, so I guess it's all kinda "relative".

Hope this makes some kind of sense
Right on the button DTD. Whats bad for some people may be OK for me. I really dont mean to put NH in a bad light, I just meant to see some downsides to it.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:29 PM

105 posts, read 184,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFWIC View Post

I moved to NH in 83-84 after 4 years in the military. Actually grew up in CT.

YouTube - 11 years old amazing singer
Indeed, as I suspected. Typical transplant close-the-door-behind-me, we don't need any more outsiders mentality. Here in Oregon it's all too familiar--virtually all evils in the state are due to the Californians--just ask any transplanted (of which there are many) Oregonian and they'll tell you so. Too funny. Strange I've never heard any friends or family who've been in NH for generations whine about such things.

Anyhow, back to the worst places!

Old 08-17-2008, 02:39 PM

311 posts, read 855,751 times
I honestly can't think of anywhere in NH that I would call the worst. I used to really dislike Berlin when the mill's smokestacks were stinking up the town. I used to shop at Middle Earth for my hippy-era clothing. No matter how many times I washed the blouses and skirts, they still smelled like Berlin

Maybe I'm a glass half full type of gal. I can always find something good in every community in the state.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:06 PM

120 posts, read 749,146 times
Question Where in the mountains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhampshiregirl View Post
I honestly can't think of anywhere in NH that I would call the worst. I used to really dislike Berlin when the mill's smokestacks were stinking up the town. I used to shop at Middle Earth for my hippy-era clothing. No matter how many times I washed the blouses and skirts, they still smelled like Berlin

Maybe I'm a glass half full type of gal. I can always find something good in every community in the state.
We are actually interested in places in coos county - do you know anything about them? Places like Colebrook, Stewartstown, etc... We really like the idea of being away from malls, box stores, etc and having a little room to grow our own veggies and flowers and hopefully take some beautiful pictures with which to make our families jealous! We started looking a year ago and for several reasons, coos county just seems like it will be a perfect fit for us. I spent a lot of time on my grandpa's farm in northern Mississippi growing up and just really enjoy the 'simple' lifestyle. Having a bit longer to wait until we can make the move b/c of my hubby's job, we have time to look and check out several areas, but I definitely don't want to be in a "city".... what do y'all think?

Old 08-17-2008, 04:11 PM

311 posts, read 855,751 times
I grew up in Lancaster, so am very familiar with Coos County. Dinner's on the stove, so I'll just say this quickly. If you want to be away from the big box stores and malls, then Coos is the place for you!

I'll return later and give you some more of my take on life in the north country

Old 08-17-2008, 04:37 PM

230 posts, read 797,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhampshiregirl View Post

Do you remember way back when the river is Berlin was so polluted, there was actually scum floating on the top of it? Gosh it used to stink! I know what you mean about that smell! Years later, tho the smell was still there, at least it wasn't as bad as I remember, and it was a little cleaner! I used to shop at Middle Earth too, they had some really cool stuff there!

Old 08-17-2008, 06:13 PM

103 posts, read 283,932 times
How about Whitefield? Whitefield is the perfect northern nh. town if you ask me.
I go there quite a bit for hunting and really wanted to move to there from meredith but there is no work in my background.

But for a perfect retirement or semi retirement I would take a look at it. Good earth up there to, for gardening etc. The only thing I would be concerned about is the snow amount.

A lady there once told me that she thought the kids had built a new snowman, until she discovered her daughter was missing.

But check it out...Google it. Look at it on Google Earth.

OH, IMO. besides whitefield I would stay on the west side of I-93. Wouldn't touch Berlin, Gorham, Conway, areas with a ten foot pole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire