U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BEST PART OF STATE TO LIVE IN
NORTH OF CONCORD 185 57.99%
CONCORD AND SOUTH 134 42.01%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:57 PM

3,712 posts, read 9,331,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACarole View Post
We really just have to make a trip out when we have time to go to each of these towns with a 'buyers eye' and compare them with each other and with what we are looking for.
Yup. I made a notebook http://bestsmileys.com/school/3.gif (broken link) (a friend called me 'clipboard Judy'! but then, she's just as bad ) with printouts of all the C-D pages for the towns on the top of our list, and the Community pages, and any town website that was pertinent, and a printout of the latest town tax rate.. tucked in a map of the state. Then I sat down with some notepaper and made a list of everything that was important, that we'd want to look for or ask about: pharmacy, groceries, bank, vet, doctors, dentist, convenience store, gas... all those things you don't think about until you need one. The town didn't have to necessarily have all of them or maybe even any of them (although a couple would be good), but it gave me something to compare - how many/how far away were things. It really was a big help when it came to deciding for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 08:00 PM

311 posts, read 855,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
Yup. I made a notebook http://bestsmileys.com/school/3.gif (broken link) (a friend called me 'clipboard Judy'! but then, she's just as bad ) with printouts of all the C-D pages for the towns on the top of our list, and the Community pages, and any town website that was pertinent, and a printout of the latest town tax rate.. tucked in a map of the state. Then I sat down with some notepaper and made a list of everything that was important, that we'd want to look for or ask about: pharmacy, groceries, bank, vet, doctors, dentist, convenience store, gas... all those things you don't think about until you need one. The town didn't have to necessarily have all of them or maybe even any of them (although a couple would be good), but it gave me something to compare - how many/how far away were things. It really was a big help when it came to deciding for us.
Wow, maybe you should consider going into business and contracting yourself out to help organize people's moves/job search/town search for them!

Old 08-18-2008, 08:03 PM

4,080 posts, read 4,367,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LACarole View Post
Thanks all! We actually have been looking at Whitefield and Bethlehem as well! We really just have to make a trip out when we have time to go to each of these towns with a 'buyers eye' and compare them with each other and with what we are looking for. I have actually also looked in the lakes region also and at several towns in SW NH, but I'm not sure we want to be that close to MA...?... Honestly, right now, anywhere in NH sounds good to me!
The Lakes Region is a good halfway point between the north country & Massachusetts. The Lakes Region gives you country living, but if you need a mid-sized city like Concord NH it's only a 40 minute drive away.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:01 PM

4,541 posts, read 11,745,815 times
That's a fantastic idea Wanna!

Quote:

Old 08-19-2008, 01:15 AM

120 posts, read 749,146 times
Wanna, that is a SUPER idea! I am definitely going to be a copycat if you don't mind... There are so many towns right now that at least on our first trip we could try to narrow it down a bit. Then next trip, we can spend more time in each of those still on our list to dig in a little deeper and see how we compare them. Well, I gotta get to bed, my hubby is tossing and turning, so he knows I'm still up TTYL

Old 08-19-2008, 08:39 AM

3,712 posts, read 9,331,896 times
LACarole- feel free! Actually, I was just thinking: if there were specific things about a town that I had asked about - I'd probably go search through the threads here and copy them onto a doc page and tuck that in, too! For example: people keep asking about Manchester or Nashua - if I were looking at either of those places, I'd save off the comments about what were good areas and what areas to avoid (cause I know I'd never remember!). Heck, I even printed out any real estate listings we wanted to look at! yeah, I know: the agent also printed stuff out, but you never know if they're going to match up, and we may want to drive around a little before meeting up.

Mostly, I do all this just so I don't have to worry about my poor feeble memory! Those zippered notebook folders are great!

Old 08-19-2008, 02:55 PM

35 posts, read 109,756 times
Thats why I am glad the free state project is there in NH. Keep NH the way it is, and hopefully make it even more of a free place. We have a consitiution for a reason, and it's time to get back to it. We have a right to bare arms, the goal of any tyrannical government is to disarm the population. That ain't going to happen in NH. I am from outside of D.C where they just passes an actual gun-ban. It's time to stand up for your rights guaranteed to you by our constitution. Exercise your rights or you lose them. There might be a bunch of problems with NH, but I guarantee there far less then almost any other part of the US. I've lived all over Maryland, been all over New Mexico, and now in North Carolina. In all of these places there are very few people that actually give a damn about what laws are being passed and what their state goverments are up to. At least with NH there is much more concern to keep a watchful eye on what these bastard are doing with our tax money and what laws they say we need to abide by. If there are a bunch of liberals coming up from Mass...does'nt matter. They'll have a hard time dealing with the 20,000 libertarians that all come pouring in who are actually active in politics. One goal I have, is to get medicinal marijuana legalized up there in NH. California has legalized it, but then the federal government still has the DEA raid medical despeneries even though the state of CA has legalized it!! It's a joke. It's alright to be prescribed synthetic heroin in the form of Oxycotton legally,...but oh, no, if you have cancer...you can't have that organic natural herb. Anyone doubting this watch a documentary called "Run from the Cure" it's about a town in nova scoutia. This old guy got skin cancer, then could'nt afford any of the prescribitions they told him would cure it. So heard about hemp oil from marijuana (cannabis) plants. So he grew some in his backyard, did'nt smoke any of it,...he made hemp oil out of it. Puts it on his skin cancer,...which either weeks or months later heals him. A bunch of the older citizens in the town with cancer heard about his hemp oil and what it did for him,..so they decide to try it. One guy who was terminally ill with lung cancer, had fluid all over his lungs starts taking the hemp oil. He is still alive with us today. All this is even reported on the news. People do not write off a naturally growing plant just because the government has told you it is bad. If it got out that marijuana/hemp oil can cure cancer etc.. everyone and their mother would be growing it in their backyards,...which would mean billions of dollars in loses to pharmaceutical companies. It's all about money folks. That documentary is on google video for free to watch online, it even has clips of the actual newscast in it.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:38 PM

120 posts, read 749,146 times
Quote:
LACarole- feel free! Actually, I was just thinking: if there were specific things about a town that I had asked about - I'd probably go search through the threads here and copy them onto a doc page and tuck that in, too! For example: people keep asking about Manchester or Nashua - if I were looking at either of those places, I'd save off the comments about what were good areas and what areas to avoid (cause I know I'd never remember!). Heck, I even printed out any real estate listings we wanted to look at! yeah, I know: the agent also printed stuff out, but you never know if they're going to match up, and we may want to drive around a little before meeting up.

Mostly, I do all this just so I don't have to worry about my poor feeble memory! Those zippered notebook folders are great!

I am saving any and all all posts that refer in any interesting way to areas that we're interested in to a doc file - I'll probably have to pare it down some for repeats, etc. but it is definitely going to come in handy. I've also been looking at the local newspapers for those areas to just get a feel of daily life / lifestyles. I tell you what, having friends on CD to give their opinion and facts about driving, terrain, weather, type of neighbors, etc. is really nice, too, because it's the things you don't find in newspapers or statistics listings. Thanks again for the ideas!

Old 11-07-2008, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,908 times
I agree with all you stated. I've only been here 3 years (west coast girl) but we did do our homework, live in Stratham, NH and are enjoying this state. I think it comes down to doing your homework and knowing yourself...what's important to you, what are you willing to sacrafice to get what you / your family need. Our young son's are enjoying this area and cannot complain.
Great advice about the surrounding towns and schools, how true, how true.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:06 PM

379 posts, read 1,227,361 times
I am from Mass living in New Hampton and to contradict some prior postings, I am one of the few people on my road that keep my yard clean and bother to plant flowers and bushes around the foundation of my house....some of the "local charm" on my street is quite spectacular, including a broken snowblower on my neighbor's roof that has been there now for about six years.

On the town issue...Bristol should be a beautiful lake town, however, the spirit is dismal, and the town is loaded with alcoholics and drugs. The place is low class, schools are rated low and the cops are jerks to boot...and I generally hold the police in high regard.

Meredith is a much better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire