U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BEST PART OF STATE TO LIVE IN
NORTH OF CONCORD 185 57.99%
CONCORD AND SOUTH 134 42.01%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,489 times

Advertisements

First time here, whats going on???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 08:32 AM

14 posts, read 41,465 times
Default Summary

Well, after reading for days, there is a theme here:
NH overwhelmingly safe even in worst parts compared to avg US
Boston Suburbs have higher growth rate and this more congestion and related problems. They also have more money.
Problems are attributed to a changing demographic. Essentially the growth and influx of others that are used to higher crime. Some would say *gasp* diversity. I agree it is the public policies and the lack of diversity that result in the low crime numbers. (I currently moved to a town excited about its diversity. Now trying to escape). This isn't a racial statement, but a financial one. Renters and Trailer Parks do not do a place any favors. No property taxes and they burden the system. Not what I voluntarily choose.

So... Worst places in NH...
Places with highest crime, most people = Downtown in the biggest city like Manchester, which is still probably better than 90% of the US.

I was inspired by the freestate project. I will be moving asap. I will be choosing by school system which is another indicator that follows people who care.

The scariest part I've read of NH is the mandated "workforce housing" . It is Section 8, also called diversity. Euphemisms for mandated Ghetto. Opposite of why NH is so good.

How does forcing cities to build ghettos make sense? Gee, they get less taxes per family for same services and often take an overall loss due to "needs" of the poor. Do they get paid on something other than taxes? Votes? http://www.workforcehousingnh.com/ . I do numbers for a living. SOMEBODY, please explain what is really going on here? There is something I'm missing. Maybe NH people have it so good, they have no clue what they are doing and just want to be "Nice"?

Ray McGill

Last edited by raymcgill; 08-20-2009 at 08:49 AM..

Old 08-21-2009, 05:03 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,538,721 times
Apparently "Workforce Housing" is designed to allow employers to avoid paying enough to allow their labor to afford to live near work. Paying enough to allow workers to buy in places like Londonderry would make the employers non-competitive or break town budgets.

NH is a great place to live if you can afford it but if you cannot afford it you just cannot live here. Price rationing at its finest. and coldest.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:42 PM

105 posts, read 305,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
This is a VERY VERY liberal area of the state. Be Careful all the VT overflow from Brattleboro is in this area. with VT mentalities. I don't mean old time VT I mean new LIBERAL VT mentality.
You are painting with a broad brush when you post something like this. I'm a native NHrite, living in western NH and OMG, yes Brattleboro VT for a while, and most of the people I associate with aren't screaming liberals. You make it seem like anyone living over in this part of NH is being infected by the liberal ooze from VT. Please, give it a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryfry View Post
You said you came in from Brattleboro. Both times you drove in? Where were you going when you saw all this blight? The first two places you encountered were either Hinsdale or Chesterfield. Both areas are not what you would call upscale. Sure, you have people who are in the "redneck" genre, but not everyone can be lumped into that boat. When you are out in the boonies, what did you expect?
Ouch! Not upscale? Maybe not on Route 9 heading east from Bratt, but it isn't all "redneck" country out here and Route 9 definitely isn't a trashy looking area.

We keep the upscale areas back off the road in order to fool everyone thinking about moving to this area.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:12 PM

20,164 posts, read 34,473,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhrocky View Post
You are painting with a broad brush when you post something like this. I'm a native NHrite, living in western NH and OMG, yes Brattleboro VT for a while, and most of the people I associate with aren't screaming liberals. You make it seem like anyone living over in this part of NH is being infected by the liberal ooze from VT. Please, give it a break.

Ouch! Not upscale? Maybe not on Route 9 heading east from Bratt, but it isn't all "redneck" country out here and Route 9 definitely isn't a trashy looking area.

We keep the upscale areas back off the road in order to fool everyone thinking about moving to this area.
"We keep the upscale areas back off the road in order to fool everyone thinking about moving to this area"

Ha, I never thought of it like that

Cheshire County has a little bit of everything I think. You have Keene, which is the big trading center for the region, along with the college town aspect. You also have a lot of older money in Chesterfield, a town that is very well maintained along with really neat houses. The housing stock starts to become much more modular and semi-rundown in the rural SW corner which includes the Hinsdale and Winchester area. The small towns north of Keene all seem to be on twisty/hilly roads that feel much more Appalachian (in the rural sense). Of course, the outdoor ammenities in the Jaffrey/Dublin/Rindge/Peterborough area are pretty hard to beat. I also like the Highland Lakes area of Stoddard as well.
I hope that is a fairly accurate assesment of the area considering I live in the Merrimack Valley region.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:28 PM

8 posts, read 21,244 times
Not originally from NH but I've been living here for few years. Best places: Portsmouth (feels like a large town instead of a city but with all the conveniences that you can wish for), Hannover (small college town) and the Jefferson area.
I like Northern New Hampshire too (where I live) but it's too isolated and too freezing cold.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:48 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,744,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s01 View Post
That's just sad, and just what I was afraid of...looking at moving there possibly in the Exeter area...after a scouting mission of course..
If you're in the Exeter area, PLZ plz take a drive down route 111A in Brentwood. Take your camera, just gorgeous. I'm so proud to say I lived three very happy cabbage patch kid years on that route, and the NE houses are breathtaking.

Not much traffic out that way in that particular town unless you're headed to Hampton beach, its pretty quiet. I used to love down town Exeter at Christmas time!

Old 08-24-2009, 08:45 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,961,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymcgill View Post
The scariest part I've read of NH is the mandated "workforce housing" . It is Section 8, also called diversity. Euphemisms for mandated Ghetto. Opposite of why NH is so good.

How does forcing cities to build ghettos make sense? Gee, they get less taxes per family for same services and often take an overall loss due to "needs" of the poor. Do they get paid on something other than taxes? Votes? New Hampshire Workforce Housing Council . I do numbers for a living. SOMEBODY, please explain what is really going on here? There is something I'm missing. Maybe NH people have it so good, they have no clue what they are doing and just want to be "Nice"?

Ray McGill
You are wise to be concerned. No, this concern is not racist at all, although do not be surprised if you are branded racist or uncompassionate for stating your opinion. Corruption aside, this is a fairly accurate social observation - the result of people taking NH for granted.

I have shared your thought - that NH people have had it so good they have no clue and just want to be 'nice'. While there are a good number of NHites/new englanders who have lived in other places, seen the country, the world, there are a surprising number of people here who have not left their local areas - for generations even - and have limited lifestyles, limited scope of reality. While there is nothing wrong with that, the reaction has been to become defensive when considered naive, parochial or challenged w/the 'racist' accusation etc...with many conforming in dysfunctional defense rather than fighting the 'worldly' 'compassionate' policies which lead to welfare and crime. "We're not homeboys, we're progressives!"

Boy will they be surprised when NH turns into an unrecognizable cesspool as a result. It does not take long at all.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:17 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,170,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
you are wise to be concerned. No, this concern is not racist at all, although do not be surprised if you are branded racist or uncompassionate for stating your opinion. Corruption aside, this is a fairly accurate social observation - the result of people taking nh for granted.

I have shared your thought - that nh people have had it so good they have no clue and just want to be 'nice'. While there are a good number of nhites/new englanders who have lived in other places, seen the country, the world, there are a surprising number of people here who have not left their local areas - for generations even - and have limited lifestyles, limited scope of reality. While there is nothing wrong with that, the reaction has been to become defensive when considered naive, parochial or challenged w/the 'racist' accusation etc...with many conforming in dysfunctional defense rather than fighting the 'worldly' 'compassionate' policies which lead to welfare and crime. "we're not homeboys, we're progressives!"

boy will they be surprised when nh turns into an unrecognizable cesspool as a result. It does not take long at all.

Absolutely Lisa! It is sad because I have to read so many posts on here-whether it is about crime, taxes, illegals, overbuilding, you name it. All I read is that "NH is still better than everywhere else" or people will make statements like the crime, traffic, etc. here is "laughable". Boy does that get my blood boiling. So as long as NH is "not as bad" as the rest of the country, then any crime, tax increase, etc. is acceptable here?

What about the increase in taxes, spending, crime, illegals, traffic, etc? That should be overlooked-even if doubled or tripled, simply because it is still better than elsewhere?

I grew up in a town with farms, open space, no crime, we never locked our doors-even as late as the early 1990's when I moved out on my own my parents still did not lock the doors. By the time they moved in 1999. I think they might have been locking the doors but only if they remembered. Taxes were moderate but not outrageous like today. The area was not extremely overbuilt. Fast forward 10-15 years and taxes are outrageous, the place is totally overbuilt, I cannot imagine people leaving their doors unlocked, illegals are everywhere, etc. The changes early on in my hometown in NJ are the same changes that I see happening here in NH. It is scary because I see those beginning changes here and I would hate to see NH meet the same fate as NJ. People won't listen though-mocking you for even suggesting those changes could happen here. People need to get their heads out of the sand before it is too late. If anyone thinks "Workforce housing" is a good thing for NH, perhaps they should research the Mount Laurel decison and see how well that worked in NJ. While they are at it perhaps they can research Abbott schools in NJ as well because the way NH is going, that may not be too far behind.

Last edited by nicolem; 08-24-2009 at 09:34 AM..

Old 08-24-2009, 10:06 AM

20,164 posts, read 34,473,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilosita View Post
Not originally from NH but I've been living here for few years. Best places: Portsmouth (feels like a large town instead of a city but with all the conveniences that you can wish for), Hannover (small college town) and the Jefferson area.
I like Northern New Hampshire too (where I live) but it's too isolated and too freezing cold.
I don't think Jefferson is that isolated. It is on route 2 and not too far from I-93. Yes, it gets much colder there than the southern part of the state. It is called the "North Country" for a reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire