U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: BEST PART OF STATE TO LIVE IN
NORTH OF CONCORD 170 56.67%
CONCORD AND SOUTH 130 43.33%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:39 PM

8 posts, read 15,623 times

Advertisements

You are right, Jefferson is not isolated (I actually think Jefferson is one of the best places in NH) but when I mentioned Northern NH, what I had in mind was anything north of Lancaster, such as Groveton, Stratford, Columbia, Colebrook, Stewartstown and Pittsburg.
Winters are brutal up here and it's not always easy to get used to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 12:59 AM

11 posts, read 20,986 times
Wow so much to read and Catch up on.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:03 PM

16 posts, read 46,923 times
Default Hanover

Hello. I live in suburban Boston and have traveled extensively throughout New Hampshire. Yes, I concur that Salem, Nashua, and (increasingly) Hudson are arguably little more than extensions of northern Middlesex County (Massachusetts), minus the sales taxes.

However, I have been to Hanover four times between 1991 and 2007 and each time I have been involved in some sort of "incident." This has not happened either in the Salem-Hudson-Nashua axis, Manchester, Concord, Portsmouth, or anyplace else in NH.

A lot of the people in Hanover have attitude, to put it politely. As with Burlington, VT, there are a lot of yuppies who ostensibly are "caring and sharing" but act like selfish oafs. One expects this in Boston/Cambridge and New York City and I've received my share of "attitude" in those big cities, but not as much, proportionately, as I have in Hanover (or Burlington, but this is a NH forum).

The time I was driving my 1993 Saab (this was in 1995) when a fellow Swedish car driver nearly ran me off the road because I had the audacity to do "only" 45 mph on a curvy, 35 mph road. Of course, this Volvo was festooned with WWF, Save The Children, My Honor Student is better than your honor student (the last one was made up, but you get the jist) stickers.

Forward to 2004. I was Ramunto's, which has, in my opinion, the best pizza in northern New England. The place wasn't that busy. There are stand-up tables at which one can eat his/her meal. I was twice "butt-brushed" by some hygienically-challenged "I love humanity but hate people" snot-nosed Ivy Leaguer (I went to Harvard, in the interest of full disclosure). Even in Manhattan, I have had people excuse themselves if they wanted to get by in a crowded venue. The thing is, Ramunto's on that evening wasn't even particularly crowded! The person who body-checked me could have very easily walked another two feet around my stool to get to where he was going.

If you want to live in a place chock-full of the worst big city attitude, but over two hours from anyplace resembling an actual urban area, please come to Hanover. The only advantage I can think of is that it is almost exactly halfway between Boston and Montreal. However, there are much friendlier towns on both sides of the Connecticut River if one wishes to live between those two cities.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:57 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,994,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by europa7 View Post
Hello. I live in suburban Boston and have traveled extensively throughout New Hampshire. Yes, I concur that Salem, Nashua, and (increasingly) Hudson are arguably little more than extensions of northern Middlesex County (Massachusetts), minus the sales taxes.

However, I have been to Hanover four times between 1991 and 2007 and each time I have been involved in some sort of "incident." This has not happened either in the Salem-Hudson-Nashua axis, Manchester, Concord, Portsmouth, or anyplace else in NH.

A lot of the people in Hanover have attitude, to put it politely. As with Burlington, VT, there are a lot of yuppies who ostensibly are "caring and sharing" but act like selfish oafs. One expects this in Boston/Cambridge and New York City and I've received my share of "attitude" in those big cities, but not as much, proportionately, as I have in Hanover (or Burlington, but this is a NH forum).

The time I was driving my 1993 Saab (this was in 1995) when a fellow Swedish car driver nearly ran me off the road because I had the audacity to do "only" 45 mph on a curvy, 35 mph road. Of course, this Volvo was festooned with WWF, Save The Children, My Honor Student is better than your honor student (the last one was made up, but you get the jist) stickers.

Forward to 2004. I was Ramunto's, which has, in my opinion, the best pizza in northern New England. The place wasn't that busy. There are stand-up tables at which one can eat his/her meal. I was twice "butt-brushed" by some hygienically-challenged "I love humanity but hate people" snot-nosed Ivy Leaguer (I went to Harvard, in the interest of full disclosure). Even in Manhattan, I have had people excuse themselves if they wanted to get by in a crowded venue. The thing is, Ramunto's on that evening wasn't even particularly crowded! The person who body-checked me could have very easily walked another two feet around my stool to get to where he was going.

If you want to live in a place chock-full of the worst big city attitude, but over two hours from anyplace resembling an actual urban area, please come to Hanover. The only advantage I can think of is that it is almost exactly halfway between Boston and Montreal. However, there are much friendlier towns on both sides of the Connecticut River if one wishes to live between those two cities.
Ha.....great post. Captures the liberal mindset well. Hanover is nice, but it's a very expensive place to live. But I'll give it this........Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center has become one of the best hospitals in the country.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:56 PM

1,935 posts, read 2,991,920 times
Quote:
Maybe NH people have it so good, they have no clue what they are doing and just want to be "Nice"?
Just great. Another out of stater moving in and telling us how things should change to suit them. The FSP is a failure. Stay home.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:30 AM

4 posts, read 7,882 times
Hey, has anyone lived or been in Wilton? I would like to know more about this town, is it a good place to live in?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:09 AM

33,629 posts, read 28,904,943 times
Compared with some places I have lived ALL of New Hampshire is a paradise. South of Concord has the jobs and the transport and North of the Notch has quiet but is a bring your own income place.

Wilton is a fine small town loaded with new and old money but no longer has much industry.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,054,342 times
Wilton is a nice old town, just up from the Mass border by 1. It's right next door to Milford, easy access to Rt 101/A gets you to Nashua (major shopping stores) and to Manchester for the airport, and Rt 31 goes straight down to Fitchburg MA (after you go through Greenville, on the border).

Wilton is one of those old towns that actually shows movies in the town hall. they sometimes have articles written up in the Monadnock Ledger especially about the school sports teams.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:34 AM

15 posts, read 48,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaverhillBound View Post
Anything south of Concord is just Northern Mass.
or some say, anything north of Concord is all rednecks and fascists....

Anyway, the seacoast is an hour from: Boston, Portland, 4 international airports, the mountains, and is dead center of all NH beaches, greatest variety of commerce and unique jobs geared at the educated and hospitality. However, Claremont a bit north of Keene has the highest # of crimes / capita in the state (almost double the next highest) as well as the area that had HUGE industry and now NO JOBS ANYWHERE.....cept for stealing and dealing

Old 02-17-2010, 10:39 AM

15 posts, read 48,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by europa7 View Post

So true, Hanover is NH's NYC overload, as is Burlington, VT.... I call Burlington NYVT..... the Seacoast is nothing like the Nashua area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire