U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: BEST PART OF STATE TO LIVE IN
NORTH OF CONCORD 185 57.99%
CONCORD AND SOUTH 134 42.01%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:16 PM

4 posts, read 9,876 times

Advertisements

I am a single parent with 5 children. I want a place where my kids can freely. I work in the healthcare field. I would like somewhere affordable. Is Auburn, NH a good place to raise kids?

Last edited by tiybandjec; 04-29-2010 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: what to add more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 04:29 PM

5,200 posts, read 4,204,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s01 View Post
That's just sad, and just what I was afraid of...looking at moving there possibly in the Exeter area...after a scouting mission of course..
Check the property taxes and make sure you can support them forever; you don't know if you'll be able to sell the house again.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:43 AM

28 posts, read 57,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh229 View Post
Each of NH's communities will appeal to many and repulse others. In other words, there's something good and bad to say about them all, and what makes one city/town wonderful for one person might make it horrible for another. I've made a very rough list of community "types" below, and listed some towns that fall into those categories ---------->

Cosmopolitan atmosphere - Portsmouth, parts of Manchester

Small cities - Concord, Keene, Dover, Laconia, Lebanon

Suburbs - Amherst, Hopkinton, New Boston, Bedford, Hollis, South Hampton, Kingston, Kensington,
Greenland, Bow, Goffstown

Small towns with quaint centers and a good community spirit - Francestown, Warner, New London, Henniker, Peterborough, Durham, Walpole, New Castle, Rye, Plymouth, Exeter, Hanover, Littleton

Quaint and tiny towns - Temple, Nelson, Harrisville, Dublin, Fitzwilliam, Westmoreland, Surry, Plainfield/Meriden, Lyme, Canterbury, Gilmanton, Salisbury, Sutton Mills, Sanbornton, Eaton, Freedom

Scenic, woodsy and extreeeemely country - Sandwich, Tamworth, Landaff, Lyman, Monroe, Haverhill, Warren, anything north of US Route 2

Scenic, somewhat touristy - Meredith, Wolfeboro, Gilford, The Conways, Jackson, Sugar Hill/Franconia, Gilford, Bretton Woods, Newbury, Moultonborough, Woodstock

Politically, I've found NHers to be unusually intelligent, practical and nuanced in their views, and tolerant of others' opinions. They're not the ideological wingnuts you hear about on MSNBC and Fox News. That said, my impression (and only my impression) is that the most conservative communities in southern NH are probably Bedford/Amherst/Merrimack, Windham/Salem and the area around Laconia, whereas the most liberal are probably Portsmouth/Dover/Durham, Keene, Concord, Warner, Hanover/Lebanon, and Peterborough. I don't know enough about northern NH to speculate about its politics.

All this having been said, most people I've met from Franklin, Suncook (Allenstown/Hooksett/Pembroke) and Pittsfield tend to want to move somewhere else.
Hey, thanks for this breakdown. This is a great reference point for me to keep in mind. I started a thread about retiring in southern NH, and also one about retiring in southern Maine. Although I haven't asked for it yet, this info is also what I have been looking for. Good stuff. Thanks again!

Old 06-20-2010, 07:06 AM

21 posts, read 47,123 times
Hey there! Have you made your move yet? I am from Wakefied which is about 40 mins south of Conway & 30 mins north of Rochester, I notice this thread was titled Best & worst places...depends on what the best things mean to you and vice versa. Just about any small town in NH is considered nice! Crime is low in NH and other than consruction/mill jobs the economy seems to be holding it's own. Being close to larger citys is nice. Like outskirts or Lincon,conway or even towns that border maine.Northern NH is more remote but there are towns such as Berlin that have everything you may need or want close by. The only place I's steer clear of Nashua,Concord and Manchester These places have VERY high taxes & are larger citys in Southern NH. More to see up North side of the state.Read demos & visit the area...I moved To SC 7 years ago & would give anything to go back, If you apprciate kind,quite,scenic life (o and snow) haha.Nh is perfect for you & a great place to raise well rounded Kids!! Best wishes!

Old 06-22-2010, 12:58 PM

6 posts, read 10,748 times
So what is the advantage to someone living in NH and working in MA? I don't see any. Working in MA you get to pay the full MA income tax. There are complaints about the NH real estate taxes but in the border areas they are not that much different from MA. NH remains one of the lowest tax BURDEN states and yes they get a lot of their taxes from real estate taxes but that is usually offset by no earned income tax, unless of course you are working in MA paying to them. So where's the tax advantage to living in NH while working in MA? The advantage is if you live in NH and work in NH. On the other hand you hand you do not get the services that you get in MA. You get what you pay for.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:29 PM

20,170 posts, read 34,480,827 times
I really disliked Dalton. Some people might like it though... The place kind of creeped me out to be honest.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:57 PM

21 posts, read 72,396 times
other than saying no to manchester and nashua and north vs southern end, it seems like there is no one best place its just really a hit or miss overall. i was looking at the census for manchester and nashua and the diversity overall was enough to tell me no as any place i lived the more diversity the more problems has always been true from what i have seen.

so really the question is, whats the best places overall for lower taxes, decent schools, not overcrowded, and not a ghetto? oh yea, how about what towns are not full of protesting whiny baby hippie wannabes that protest if someone stepped on a bug wrong (AKA southern california types)

Old 06-23-2010, 07:11 AM

3,712 posts, read 9,331,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiosmith39 View Post
So what is the advantage to someone living in NH and working in MA? I don't see any. Working in MA you get to pay the full MA income tax. There are complaints about the NH real estate taxes but in the border areas they are not that much different from MA. NH remains one of the lowest tax BURDEN states and yes they get a lot of their taxes from real estate taxes but that is usually offset by no earned income tax, unless of course you are working in MA paying to them. So where's the tax advantage to living in NH while working in MA? The advantage is if you live in NH and work in NH. On the other hand you hand you do not get the services that you get in MA. You get what you pay for.

the advantage is simply that NH often has a different attitude than Mass. Both have lovely old towns. NH is often a little more relaxed in outlook. But that's about it. You're are quite correct that living in NH and working in Mass provides no tangible difference. You might as well live in Mass and have a shorter commute. If you feel the intangible difference between the two states, then the financial aspect is not the issue. Choose the state that works best for you.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:36 PM

3,174 posts, read 2,742,027 times
Talking each day I don't go down to MA is money in my pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiosmith39
So what is the advantage to someone living in NH and working in MA? I don't see any. Working in MA you get to pay the full MA income tax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
You're are quite correct that living in NH and working in Mass provides no tangible difference. You might as well live in Mass and have a shorter commute.
Depends a lot on your personal circumstances. Working from home is the shortest possible commute, but full-time telecommuting isn't an option for most people. In my case, I don't have to go into the office every day; each day I don't go down to MA is money in my pocket.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:08 AM

30 posts, read 79,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Depends a lot on your personal circumstances. Working from home is the shortest possible commute, but full-time telecommuting isn't an option for most people. In my case, I don't have to go into the office every day; each day I don't go down to MA is money in my pocket.
I disagree. In my own field (biotech), I can make 20%-30% more working in Mass. The downside is the commute, dealing with Mass drivers, just dealing with Mass. itself. But you can still come out ahead. And I plan on doing just that in the next few months!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire