Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 02:23 PM

540 posts, read 584,115 times

Advertisements

I'm sure it's been discussed before and I know that having any tint on the front windows is illegal, but I found a few websites today that state rear windows on cars may have tint as long as it's 35% or lighter but the thing that caught my attention is that it listed SUVs and vans having no restriction on the darkness of the rear window tint.
Anyone know FOR SURE if this is valid?
Only because our SUV currently has very dark tint on the rear windows and if we didn't have to mess with it we would be super excited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 02:37 PM

4,556 posts, read 5,607,375 times
Post RSA 266:58-a

See RSA 266:58-a for specifics:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSA 266:58-a
I. It shall be unlawful to sell or inspect any motor vehicle in this state which has after market tinting on the windshield or on the windows to the left and right of the driver.
II. It shall be unlawful to install after market tinting on the windshield or on the windows to the left and right of the driver on any motor vehicle which is registered in this state.
III. It shall be unlawful to drive on any way any motor vehicle registered in this state which has after market tinting on the windshield or on the windows to the left and right of the driver. Where after market tinting is applied to windows to the rear of the driver, outside rear view mirrors shall be required on both the left and right side of the vehicle for the use of the driver and a front seat passenger. The light transmittance of after-market tinted windows where they are allowed shall not be less than 35 percent, except that the light transmittance of aftermarket tinted rear windows of multipurpose passenger vehicles, as defined in 49 C.F.R. 571.3 and pickup trucks may be such percentage as is allowed by 49 C.F.R. 571.205 with respect to pre-market tinted rear windows.
Notice the distinction made between pre-market and after market tinting.

As for the "Multipurpose passenger vehicle" exception, it applies to "a motor vehicle ... constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road operation".

Old 04-12-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
See RSA 266:58-a for specifics:

Notice the distinction made between pre-market and after market tinting.

As for the "Multipurpose passenger vehicle" exception, it applies to "a motor vehicle ... constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road operation".
Well that's not very encouraging. If the inspection place says no way, we will just have to have it replaced with lighter tint.
Any suggestions on inspection sites that are on the lenient side? Concord/Manchester area..
Shoot me a PM if you know of a good place

Last edited by Dross99_si; 04-12-2016 at 04:17 PM..

Old 04-12-2016, 08:34 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,867,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dross99_si View Post
Any suggestions on inspection sites that are on the lenient side? Concord/Manchester area..
Shoot me a PM if you know of a good place
There is a whole thread about inspection stations in New Hampshire.

Do you really think that some garage/shop is going to risk their state inspection license just for your tinted non legal windows? And even if you did obtain a sticker, the authorities can still give you a ticket and then go after the inspection station.

But find the thread about NH inspection stations. Lots of information there.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
There is a whole thread about inspection stations in New Hampshire.

Do you really think that some garage/shop is going to risk their state inspection license just for your tinted non legal windows? And even if you did obtain a sticker, the authorities can still give you a ticket and then go after the inspection station.

But find the thread about NH inspection stations. Lots of information there.
No clue if some shop is willing to overlook my "illegal" tint, but it's worth a try. And yes I'm aware that LE can still cite me for it. I run that risk currently in CA everyday because my front windows are also tinted which is technically illegal here. It's such a petty "crime" that it doesn't seem that the LE in LA county even cares.
Look, I get that it's against the law. Do I think it's a rediculous law? Absolutely! And I'm sure that I'm not alone. I mean come on, it's window tint for crying out loud. Not like it's hurting anyone honestly. Live and let live right
But please don't take it personal. Why does everyone seem to get so uptight about this subject like window tint killed their dog or something? Relax..

Old 04-12-2016, 10:06 PM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,010,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dross99_si View Post
No clue if some shop is willing to overlook my "illegal" tint, but it's worth a try. And yes I'm aware that LE can still cite me for it. I run that risk currently in CA everyday because my front windows are also tinted which is technically illegal here. It's such a petty "crime" that it doesn't seem that the LE in LA county even cares.
Look, I get that it's against the law. Do I think it's a rediculous law? Absolutely! And I'm sure that I'm not alone. I mean come on, it's window tint for crying out loud. Not like it's hurting anyone honestly. Live and let live right
But please don't take it personal. Why does everyone seem to get so uptight about this subject like window tint killed their dog or something? Relax..
So what if the LEOs in LA don't care about illegal tint. LA is full of poseurs anyway, wannabe celebrities in their vehicles with overly dark tinting.

I suspect that our LEOs prefer to be able to see easily into any vehicle that they might have to pull over. And with the new laws against drivers using cell phones, they are going to be less tolerant of cars with dark tinting.

And of course, you are entitled to YOUR opinion, but I don't think that the tint law is ridiculous. I prefer being able to see into the vehicles that I am sharing the road with. I prefer having that complete "transparency" aspect. And yes, I do want the LEOs to be able to catch anyone using their cell phone illegally. Distracted driving is a big problem all over the US. Also NH is full of trees... which equals a good amount of shade, so there is not any pressing need for heavy window tinting on our cars. But that is just MY opinion.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:43 AM

No need to get defensive Miu, I sense a little hostility. Not everyone has something to hide you know. It has nothing to do with looks or being a "poseur", rather it's about MY personal comfort. I like my car to stay cool and be less bright. That's it, period. What is so suspicious or criminal about that? MY personal comfort. To each his own.
You seem tolerant towards so many things but the second I mention automotive tint all hell breaks loose. I'm sure LEO EVERYWHERE have more productive things to do than worry about something as petty as this. Or at least they should.
In any case thanks for giving me YOUR opinion. I still have MINE.
Cheers

Old 04-13-2016, 06:33 AM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,010,815 times
I disliked intensely YOU calling the tint law "rediculous". And since you haven't spent any length of time in NH, you can't say that you need tinted windows for cooling down the car and the insides being less bright. Our climate is very different from LA.

From what I see on the roads, the only vehicles with tinted windows are those with out of state plates. If you want to fit in with NH locals, just take the tint of your vehicles.

From your user name, did you use to own a 1999 Civic Si?

Old 04-13-2016, 11:44 AM

The law IS rediculous in my eyes. I get the front window thing, but behind the driver you should be able to have whatever darkness you prefer. Are you a LE officer? Just curious.. And what is it about my opinion on the tint that you so intensely dislike? I'm used to having it on my cars so it really doesn't matter how much time I've spent in NH, or the "need" for tint. I am simply used to it now and really like having it on the cars. Not a huge deal honestly. Can't I have something that's not harming anyone and not be ridiculed for it? Isn't that a form of freedom?
And yes, at one point in the past I did have a 99 Civic Si blue. It was a great car and I'd probably still have it if some guy didn't run a red light and total it. I had no tint on that vehicle BTW..

Old 04-13-2016, 12:43 PM

4,556 posts, read 5,607,375 times
I have dark factory tint on my off-road-capable SUV, but it's all Federally-compliant pre-market tint, never had an inspection issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire