Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2006, 03:39 PM

10 posts, read 36,227 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My husband and I are seriously considering relocating to New Hampshire. Our kids and grandkids moved to Portsmouth about a year ago.
Being a lifetime California resident I have never considered such a monumental undertaking.
Can anyone help with suggestions on how to go about this?
We dont own any property here and would have to do some strategic planning to make this happen

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 12:39 PM

59 posts, read 277,679 times
It all depends on what you're looking for. Saltwater, lakes, mountains, or city life?

Old 10-27-2006, 12:52 PM

439 posts, read 720,780 times
New England is a very distinctive region. If a lifelong Californian you will have to do some adaptive processes that will not be easy or always pleasant.

However, since you have family in NH (not sure of the region) The move will be much easier.

The biggest difference will be the weather- most of the state has a strong 4 season climate with distinct seasonal changes. The short porch on the Atlantic has the mildest weather, while upstate has the coldest winters.
Summer and Autumn are very pleasant- winters which begin in early to mid December and end in late March to early April can bring cold, wind and snow.

Springs can be disagreeable, with mild to warm weather, followed by chill, rain and sometimes snow. By May things begin to warm up.

New Englanders are reserved (outsiders say cold) but they keep to themselves, but can be decent, honest and friendly-in time.

There is much history in NH and New England- and the distances to places like Boston, Providence Hartford and New York will be 'short' for you time wise.

There is much in the way of culture, and a timelessness that enables people to be really laid back and less worried about materialistic items.

Housing and rents here will be much less then most of California. I have no idea if you are retired (many great services for seniors in the state) or will be looking for work.

There is a high quality of life in NH and New England- low crime rate- and traffic will be much less of a problem for you, even is southern NH.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:56 PM

Default Where in NH??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynnsoucy View Post
It all depends on what you're looking for. Saltwater, lakes, mountains, or city life?
Saltwater would be just dandy as I grew up and still live near the coast.
Mountains and lakes are fine too. Not necessary that we be in a big city, we are an hour away from San Francisco now and that is fine.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:58 PM

Default Good points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLion View Post
New England is a very distinctive region. If a lifelong Californian you will have to do some adaptive processes that will not be easy or always pleasant.

I agree, my husband is from the east originally and he still misses it!

However, since you have family in NH (not sure of the region) The move will be much easier.

The family is in Portsmouth, my daughter in law is a native of NH.

The biggest difference will be the weather- most of the state has a strong 4 season climate with distinct seasonal changes. The short porch on the Atlantic has the mildest weather, while upstate has the coldest winters.
Summer and Autumn are very pleasant- winters which begin in early to mid December and end in late March to early April can bring cold, wind and snow.

Springs can be disagreeable, with mild to warm weather, followed by chill, rain and sometimes snow. By May things begin to warm up.

New Englanders are reserved (outsiders say cold) but they keep to themselves, but can be decent, honest and friendly-in time.

There is much history in NH and New England- and the distances to places like Boston, Providence Hartford and New York will be 'short' for you time wise.

There is much in the way of culture, and a timelessness that enables people to be really laid back and less worried about materialistic items.

Housing and rents here will be much less then most of California. I have no idea if you are retired (many great services for seniors in the state) or will be looking for work.

There is a high quality of life in NH and New England- low crime rate- and traffic will be much less of a problem for you, even is southern NH.
Thanks so much! It is most appreciated!

Old 10-27-2006, 01:09 PM

439 posts, read 720,780 times
Been to Sonoma county many times

Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Forestville,

very pretty really, been to the wineries. Love the north bay area,

easy climate-though some winters the floods can be terrible.

It will be much cheaper in New Hampshire then Sonoma county, for just

about everything- real estate taxes here are high however.

I am sure if you decide to move you will enjoy the state and region.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLion View Post
Been to Sonoma county many times

Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Forestville,

very pretty really, been to the wineries. Love the north bay area,

easy climate-though some winters the floods can be terrible.

It will be much cheaper in New Hampshire then Sonoma county, for just

about everything- real estate taxes here are high however.

I am sure if you decide to move you will enjoy the state and region.

It is a nice place here, isnt it?
I fell in love with Portsmouth and Exeter. What an eye opening experience for someone from the "wild west"!
I also long for a slower pace of life....

Old 10-27-2006, 01:39 PM

59 posts, read 277,679 times
Hi knccarney,
In reference to your other post about moving to NH, you should really look into the Portsmouth area. Not so much Exeter, but Portsmouth is well known as a cultural town. You mentioned that you're interested in an "artsy" kind of place.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:07 PM

Default Portsmouth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlynnsoucy View Post
Hi knccarney,
In reference to your other post about moving to NH, you should really look into the Portsmouth area. Not so much Exeter, but Portsmouth is well known as a cultural town. You mentioned that you're interested in an "artsy" kind of place.

I tend to keep coming back to Portsmouth, not only are the kids and grand kids there, it is beautiful and artsy as you say.
Also seems to be enough work in my field that I should be able to get a job without too much fretting!

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire