Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 07:06 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
We typically shop at two stores, Hannafords in Concord when we don't want to deal with the crowds and get a few more speciality items (gluten free things) and Marketbasket in Hooksett when we feel like saving money and getting the staples.

Long story short, I hope this market basket fiasco gets settled soon, Hannafords has now been overrun by "the people of market basket" parking is impossible and its now just as un-enjoyable to go there as market basket on storres street. Maybe I should start shopping at shaws on fort eddy road. That place is still a ghost town. lol
I was at the Hannaford Manchester, NH (John E Devine Dr.) store almost two weeks ago and all I can say is that it's not all the cheap to shop there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 08:01 AM

611 posts, read 1,205,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
We typically shop at two stores, Hannafords in Concord when we don't want to deal with the crowds and get a few more speciality items (gluten free things) and Marketbasket in Hooksett when we feel like saving money and getting the staples.

Long story short, I hope this market basket fiasco gets settled soon, Hannafords has now been overrun by "the people of market basket" parking is impossible and its now just as un-enjoyable to go there as market basket on storres street. Maybe I should start shopping at shaws on fort eddy road. That place is still a ghost town. lol
The Shaws on Fort Eddy Rd was a ghost town yesterday! If I hadn't had an impatient husband with me, I would have swung over there to see if I could have finished my shopping list since Hannafords was out of stock on some items. The last time I went to Shaws was when they were closing down stores. Even with items up to 80% off and coupons, I still spent more than I would have a Market Basket. If Shaws execs were smart, they would take a hard look at this, adjust their prices and inventory, and try to lure customers.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:20 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
MB employees should promote this fight nationally - get national press. Really good to see consumers fight back in this day and age.

Yes I agree, as complacent as so much of today's society seems to be. It is refreshing to see people take a stand for what they believe in.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
As far as I know the folks standing by the road are doing it on their own time. The also report to work when called even if they do not have any customers to serve. A strike is one thing but a protest quite another. They are protesting and not striking. The customers are boycotting the current management.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:49 PM

196 posts, read 276,062 times
Has there been any news yet?

When we lived in MD, I was totally in love with Wegman, never thought I could find a better store.

Now, I can't imagine not having MB - I hope it's not too late to save that store!

Old 08-04-2014, 07:52 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedme View Post
Has there been any news yet?

When we lived in MD, I was totally in love with Wegman, never thought I could find a better store.

Now, I can't imagine not having MB - I hope it's not too late to save that store!
If we've lost MB, then I wish we could have a Wegmans. Although I do like the smaller size of MB where I can get what I want and get out. (not a lover of grocery shopping).

I tried the new super Walmart in Seabrook today and hated it. They didn't carry my brands and I also missed the good and also economical MB brands. Walmart was also ugly and it just isn't a grocery store.

Can anyone suggest some alternative? I've heard of Aldi's. Is that in Salem? Last week I tried Hannafords in Maine but it was huge and seemed excessive to me. I just want the basics, not all the glitzy pre-packaged extras.

Wegmans is way too far away, somewhere in central MA, and it's another huge store but if we had one I'd go. It did have everything anyone could ever dream of, or so it seemed.

(I don't think the MB villians will sell the stores to Arthur T--they don't want to be nice,they don't want to let him win.)

Old 08-04-2014, 10:16 PM

196 posts, read 276,062 times
My husband actually wrote an email to Wegman's corporate office, and they told him they have no plans for putting Wegman in NH right now

I'll be honest - as much as I used to like Wegmans, I like MB prices MUCH better and MB's selection is pretty great as well.

For a few specialty items I could always make an hour trip to Wegmans in MA.

Walmart just sucks the life out of me.....

Old 08-27-2014, 07:04 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Just when everyone thought a deal was in sight, turns out they would rather fire nearly everybody and run the company into the ground. What a nice legacy.

Plan would close 61 Market Basket stores if no deal is reached | Project Economy - WMUR Home

Old 08-27-2014, 07:48 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,150 times
I can't believe what a crap show that BOD is.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:12 PM

238 posts, read 315,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
I can't believe what a crap show that BOD is.
The consensus seems to be that, in this instance, BOD stands for Bunch of Derelicts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire