Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 01:18 PM

259 posts, read 985,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Over and over on this board someone mentions that NH is lacking in federal and/or State services, but what are they talking about exactly? Nobody ever mentions if that means the roads are not cleared during snowstorms or there is no help for the mentally ill (like in Texas where you have bums standing on every other street corner in Houston's top shopping area begging). With NH not having a State income tax, what services does NH not provide it's citizens?
N.H. is and has been very frugal in spending on social programs and practicle in our spending, although state roads are very well maintained, we do lack any infrastructure as far as public transportation. From Manchester or Concord, its possible to get to the mountains. Dover + Portsmouth to Boston is efficient and reasonable@ ~$24.00 R/T. via C+J (private bus line)
It is impossible to take a bus to Manchester Airport from the populous seacoast. We do have local bus service, as long as you don't "really" want to go very far. Most assistance programs that exist with an actual budget of any sort are supported by federal funds. (fuel assistance, welfare etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 01:23 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,900,877 times
anniebleu, please don't take offense at the top part of greg's post. I think when you've been here a little longer, you'll realize that this is greg's sense of humor peeking through, seriously
(read the bottom paragraph again...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebleu View Post
Greg,

"Proper" people?

We are, currently, healthy, but there have been times when we've needed excellent medical treatment, and after living in a location (not New England) where almost anything somewhat serious has to be taken to doctors / hospital in another state, we know we wouldn't want to find ourselves in that situation, especially when we're older.

In other ways, I think you'd probably approve of us.

Annie

Last edited by Valerie C; 02-06-2008 at 02:09 PM..

Old 02-06-2008, 04:03 PM

271 posts, read 991,892 times
Valerie, thanks. I "got" Greg about a minute after I left the computer, but this is the first chance I've had to return.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:44 AM

257 posts, read 617,236 times
I don't see any services missing. Almost everything is still taken care of at the local level, which is how I think things should be done. If anything, I think that the state government is still too big, tries to do to many things, and interferes (albeit less) in public schools and medical insurance. There are too many drinking laws and the state seems to be top heavy. Most of the people here would actually like to see the state get even smaller.

I have been involved in state and local politics for almost two decades. When I lived in Washington (state) I saw so much corruption and waste that it made me sick. The Washington State Ferry System just loses $550 million every year, and never accounted for it. We were made to pay $8 million for a $2 million senior center or $193,800,000 for about $20-25 million in renovations to Harborview Medical Center. We had to pay $7 billion to add an HOV lane to a section of I-405, and another $7 billion for a commuter rail system that we were told would only cost $3.9 billion. Over 52% of the $11,000 per year per student spent on the the public school system was lost to administration, and every project kept going into cost overruns.

Seeing politicians coming to us insisting that they never had enough money, then rewarding political donors (school superintendents, public sector unions, PAC's, state contractors, etc.) with more and more tax money was awful. When the voters got angry, absentee ballots would just be thrown out by the thousands (about 4800 a year in King County alone) because they were mostly from older folks who vote down tax increases. The public schools, public housing, public busing--you name it. Almost all of these services were hopelessly overpriced, mismanaged, and fraught with favoritism, misuse, and corruption.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:53 AM

3 posts, read 19,698 times
Default NH has all the services it needs! Go back to Mass!

I love it when people make a statement after moving here from another state saying that we are lacking in services.... What did people do in the 20's and 30's? They stayed home, off the roads. What happens when someone has to go to the hospital and the roads are covered? Drive slow and get there as best and as safe as you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire