Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:25 PM

6 posts, read 44,517 times

Advertisements

Hi we are moving from the Concord area to Littleton. Is there anything anyone can tell me (good or bad) about the area? Are the schools good? My son will be at the high school next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 01:04 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,486 times
Hi! I can't answer your questions about the school as we don't have any children in school, but Littleton itself is very, very nice. We moved here in April and, although the "local people" say the area has grown a lot, to us, it's still a small town atmosphere where people look out for others. I don't feel the traffic is bad at all, although the people who have lived here for years think it's terrible <g> (I think it's all in what you're used to).

The people are friendly, polite and for the most part, the teens we've met have also been friendly and polite. The shops on Main Street are great - I love them! The book store in the village has a wide variety of books and also has activities throught the year. Last year there were lawn concerts during the summer (I'm not sure if that's an annual thing since we were new to the area, but I believe it may be). Bethlehem, which is close, also has concerts during the summer. There is a movie theater in town, although we haven't been there yet, so I can't tell you what that's like.

This winter with the blizzard, we were pleasantly surprised by how well the roads were cleared. We had no trouble getting around. Coming from NYS that was a BIG surprise for us

The only thing I don't like is the fact that there's only one "major" grocery store - Shaw's - without much competition, their prices seem to be on the high side.

If you're looking for a lot of "night life" you won't really find it here, especially in the winter....this past spring/summer/fall, they did have live music every other weekend, an open mic every other weekend and I *think* the Eastgate has live entertainment every weekend, even in the winter. There are things going on in neighboring towns, though, so you can usually find something to do if you want to. In the summer in one of the neighboring towns, there are local theater productions.

If you have any questions that are more specific, feel free to post them here or PM me and if I can answer them, I will. Overall, it's been a very positive experience for us

Old 02-21-2007, 06:12 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonfan View Post
Hi we are moving from the Concord area to Littleton. Is there anything anyone can tell me (good or bad) about the area? Are the schools good? My son will be at the high school next year.
Horrible horrible place the people actually talk to you and help each other. And if your car breaks down they stop to help. The Crime is just so bad there if you run a red light it makes the paper. Now that is severe. Aside from there being a shake up politically there with the police and opera house etc it is a good little town with a wally world home depot Lowe's and COMING SOON BJ's, Ok within 2 years. But SHH the employees where not suppose to talk about it as it is unofficial. LOL The local paper that has good coverage of Littleton is in VT of all places but the link is www.caledonianrecord.com hope this helps.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:25 PM

There's going to be a BJ's here? Wow...I hadn't heard that - someone had said there was going to be a Super Wal-Mart somewhere near the hospital, but I don't know if that was "just talk" since there is a SWM opening in Woodsville in November...........

Old 02-22-2007, 06:53 AM

53 posts, read 331,382 times
I love that bookstore Windchimes mentioned, 'The Village Bookstore' -that's reason enough to move there!
We've been going to Littleton for 30 years. Boy has it changed traffic-wise(that's so interesting how you say the traffic's not bad, Windchimes...but it's great to hear it's not considered a problem.) Do you know it made the list for one of the top places to live? Outdoor Mag. I think, a couple years ago, though that article DOES NOT come from an insider's view in my opinion.
The movie theatre is JUST THE SAME -same with the bookstore!
I don't know about schools, but the influx of out-of-staters has got to help keep things in tip-top shape. ?. The schools are behind the town, up a steep hill, along with residential streets; it's very picturesque.
Wal-Mart seems to be THE place to spend a Saturday and Sunday. (We go to 'Polly's Pancakes' !!)
Beautiful, scenic areas around that part of the state including places to live like Lisbon.
Good luck to you!

Old 02-22-2007, 07:31 AM

I think the traffice "issue" is all in what you're used to <g>.....We had a friend over last night who said when he moved here, I *think* he said 10 years go, there was only one traffic light in town.....We came from an area of NYS that was midway between NYC and Albany, so we had a LOT of traffic going through town on a constant basis. That's probably why, to us, traffic in Littleton isn't a big deal

The bookstore is WONDERFUL - I would love to work there, but I know I'd probably spend everything I made on books!

We had seen the article where Littleton was one of the best places to live before we came here and we agree!

Coming from NY, the cost of living here is less, but I'm not sure if it is less than other parts of NH....of course, the pay is less as well, but with the lower cost of living, it pretty much balances out, at least in our case. With the house we just bought, it would have been at least 100K more in the area of NY where we were and the taxes on it would have probably been triple what they are here.

Lisbon and Bethlehem are both pretty towns. When we first moved here we went to Lisbon for a "community day" type of thing (I think it was the Lilac Festival, but I'm not sure) - the day started with a pancake breakfast, there was live entertainment, a parade, street sales, etc. - we had a blast! The churches up here also put on community suppers and we've been to a few of them, which has helped us to meet local people and learn more about the area.

We enjoy the lifestyle immensely - much more "laid back", slower pace, etc. I just wish there was another grocery store here to give Shaw's some competition and bring down their prices, but I guess that's also in the works with the talk of a Co-op coming in and a BJ's and a Super Wal-Mart in Woodsville - our friend last night speculated that would draw more of the people from Vermont than Shaw's does, so may bring prices down a bit, too. Guess we'll have to wait and see........

I think what I like best about the area is that the Main Street area has been preserved, while the bigger stores, restaurant chains, etc. are just outside of Main Street, so you still have the "charm" of the smaller stores intact.......

Old 02-22-2007, 10:02 AM

53 posts, read 331,382 times
That's a great way of looking at it Windchimes, "...preservation of small-town charm" with the convenience of larger stores nearby. We were so sad to see a "Wal-Mart" go up (as we were to see "McDonald's" go up in Lincoln years ago).
But I like your point of view in changing times. I won't shake my head next time I'm in your area!

Last edited by tao777; 02-22-2007 at 11:16 AM..

Old 02-22-2007, 11:36 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,886 times
Littleton is a completely different beast now than it was 10 or so years ago. I grew up in nearby Vermont and we would head over to Littleton every once in a while to go to Lahouts, the bookstore, and Globe -anyone remember that store?? It was in the plaza next to the Continental 93 Motel. We'd also go over once in a while to the Clam Shell, which has sadly been raised and a Walgreens has spouted in it's place.
That was IT for littleton. Where Wal Mart, Shaws, Home Dept is was just a large meadow.
Littleton benefited from this "sprawl" type development when St. Johnsbury fought Wal-Mart and won. Wal-Mart went to Littleton instead.
Some say this is good for the area, some say it isnt. I personlly don't really like the "new" Littleton, but still do love the bookstore & Lahouts!
PS. Check out Monroe, just south of Littleton. Your kids would be able to attend St. Johnsbury Academy for free.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:34 PM

VTER - I'm curious......I've seen Monroe mentioned a few times as a good place to live - can you tell me why, other than for families whose kids can go to SJA for free? We've been to Monroe and didn't see where it had much at all, so I'm not sure if we didn't get into "Monroe proper" maybe (we did go past the post office)? Maybe we were just on the outskirts? I'm still learning about the area which is why I ask....I figure the only way I'll learn is to ask

Where is the Continental 93 Motel in Littleton? Is that where the EconoLodge or Hampton Inn is now?

You know, for the life of me, I can't figure out why they put a Walgreens in....I have yet to figure out why there are so many drug stores (Rite-Aid, Brooks, WalMart, Shaw's, Walgreens and Spencers) and only one grocery store!

Old 02-22-2007, 02:12 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,886 times
You went through Monroe LOL. Not much too it. It's a close nit community where everyone knows or is related to everyone else. A couple of my good friends from high school are from there. I've spend lots of time there with my friends. It's a nice town if you like living in the country.
The Continental 93 is the Econo Lodge I think. The Hampton Inn is new.
There is a Price Chopper in StJ, but thats probably a bit of a drive. JC Penney too.
Littleton used to have a great locally owned grocery store called Butsons (it was just past Shaws). Not sure whats there now. They used to have stores in Woodsville and StJ too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire