Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 07:07 PM

25 posts, read 165,909 times

Advertisements

Bad news Free Staters. The Old Line State is coming to you, and our Governor, known locally as the Teflon Leprechaun (or Martin O'Malley), not satisfied that he has raised our taxes to the level of Sweden, is coming north to stump for Hillary Clinton. Be afraid, be very afraid

Please lock your doors, hide your children, and make sure that your cigarettes are in a safe place - He may try to raise your taxes while he is there.

Again, our deepest apologies for putting you through this trying time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 05:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
So long as I am getting some things or services that I find useful like roads, schools, libraries, and hopefully health care for all, I do not mind paying taxes. However, paying taxes for things that bring me and my country harm like our own Homeland Security (GESTAPO) or a useless overseas Empire that cost us treasure and lives, I vehemently oppose. Also how the taxes are distributed is a major factor. I believe that the more you make the more protection you receive so the more taxes you should pay.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:28 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Man View Post
Bad news Free Staters. The Old Line State is coming to you, and our Governor, known locally as the Teflon Leprechaun (or Martin O'Malley), not satisfied that he has raised our taxes to the level of Sweden, is coming north to stump for Hillary Clinton. Be afraid, be very afraid

Please lock your doors, hide your children, and make sure that your cigarettes are in a safe place - He may try to raise your taxes while he is there.

Thanks for the warning but believe me our governor and current legislature are no prize either. They recently implemented huge increases in our taxes(even though they are a lot of the hidden taxes and unless you pay attention you may not realize it). The executive council recently raised our tolls and in the newspaper there are already moanings that it is not enough.

And once again there is talk about going after smokers. I read in the paper again they are proposing an increase in the cigarette tax. When do we stop beating up on smokers and have them subsidize everything. None of the money never goes to "health care" or "heatlh education" like they say. Note- I am not a smoker and never have been- I am just sick of seing them beat up on by the tax and spenders all the time.

The cigarette tax is the most hypocrytical tax I have seen in my life. First of all, all of us federal taxpayers subsidize tobacco farmers. Then there are taxes on the packs themselves. Politicians love to "demonize" smokers all the time, will not let private business owners decide if they want their establishment to be smoking or not. However when it comes to getting their greedy paws on more $$$$$, let's go after smokers.

If smoking is that bad and has to be banned from public buildings, why are we subsidizing it on the federal level. Politicians want it both ways. Scream it is horrible and restrict your right to do it in certain places. However they want to get more and more taxes from smokers to fill their greedy coffers. Then they want all of us smokers and non-smokers to pay back their lobbyist tobacco farmers.

Nicole

Old 01-04-2008, 06:41 AM

951 posts, read 1,653,107 times
But, instead we pay taxes for illegal aliens to go to school and get free health care, give out stipends to people who abuse it, and grants to watch paint dry and give a report on it. That's where our taxes go; into waste mangement. And guess what....they are all nanny liberal programs that Liberals like yourself support.

Don't even get me going on your horrid analogy to Nazi Germany and our willingness to protect our country against foreign forces. Greg, sometimes you just lose me and other times I understand where you're coming from. This time it's the former.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryfry View Post
But, instead we pay taxes for illegal aliens to go to school and get free health care, give out stipends to people who abuse it, and grants to watch paint dry and give a report on it. That's where our taxes go; into waste mangement. And guess what....they are all nanny liberal programs that Liberals like yourself support.

Don't even get me going on your horrid analogy to Nazi Germany and our willingness to protect our country against foreign forces. Greg, sometimes you just lose me and other times I understand where you're coming from. This time it's the former.

Exactly! Rep points for you.

Nicole

Old 01-04-2008, 07:09 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,030,646 times
OMG! as Y-man said: be afraid, be very afraid! Hmm, NH is a right to carry state isn't it? I certainly consider a lot of what he's done here to be assault....

Seriously guys, you may think you taxes are high, but we're actually higher than Mass! and our real estate taxes are worse than NH. And yes, although MD is actually a tobacco producing state.. they've raised the cigarette taxes again so that a carton I think will cost over $40 - and at the same time the state has gone smoke free. make any sense???

Can you get our gov lots in the north woods? please???

Old 01-04-2008, 07:11 AM

[quote=WannaComeHome;2412490]

Can you get our gov lots in the north woods? please???[/
QUOTE]

Only if he takes our useless photo-op govenor with him.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:04 AM

885 posts, read 2,660,249 times
Illegal aliens, cigarette taxes - all side issues.

All I want to know is who do we need to bomb to get cheaper heating oil?

Old 01-04-2008, 08:08 AM

885 posts, read 2,660,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Man View Post

I GUARANTEE YOU ARE NOT TAXED LIKE SWEDEN. Their top income tax rate is 55% plus mandatory pension, their sales tax (VAT) is 25%. In Norway, the top tier income tax tier was once 90% ????!!??!??!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:13 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
So long as I am getting some things or services that I find useful like roads, schools, libraries, and hopefully health care for all, I do not mind paying taxes. However, paying taxes for things that bring me and my country harm like our own Homeland Security (GESTAPO) or a useless overseas Empire that cost us treasure and lives, I vehemently oppose. Also how the taxes are distributed is a major factor. I believe that the more you make the more protection you receive so the more taxes you should pay.
In a free society the classes are not set; someone making $200,000 today may be in the middle class next year and vice versa. Paying more taxes is income redistribution and is used by the government for social engineering and keeping the various classes bickering with each other. A flat tax would be much better.

Federal taxes are no good; states like mine (NJ) that have more wealth than other states pay more federally and receive less back...while our own state taxes us into oblivion.

Greg; roads, schools, etc...you had me. Healthcare for all? NOT a government responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire