Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 07:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

I appears Kinder-Morgan company is planning a very large (36 in.) NG pipeline through Hollis and other southern NH towns. A group called Pipeline Awareness is opposed to this development. Do any of you have any comment.

My initial search reveals that this is an international effort to improve NG connections to an Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) in Goldsboro, Nova Scotia from the dry shale sources in western Pennsylvania.

I have difficulty with a pipeline of this size because of the risk of leakage and the subsequent disaster. I also object to the lack of any apparent benefit to New Hampshire consumers even if the company claims that the pipeline will reduce NG prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 08:11 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,013 times
If you have limited info on it, why automatically object? the entire country has natural gas pipelines running through it. NG is the most efficient and clean fuel. Most of the developed world uses it.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:40 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,177,484 times
Big gas pipelines are designed to be safe. When was the last time that you heard of an explosion of a new interstate natural gas pipeline?

New England has a 2 billion cubic feet per day natural gas shortfall mostly due to electricity generation requirements. That's why the coal fired power plant at Bow keeps operating despite vehement objections from the environmental crowd. And with the imminent shutdown of the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant and trouble getting permission to construct the new 1200 megawatt "Northern Pass" transmission line from Quebec to Deerfield, NH, it will require that more costly coal-fired power be imported from the PJM and Ontario systems through New York State.

This new proposed pipeline called the "Northeast Energy Direct" will bring nat gas from the Marcellus and Utica shale areas to energy starved New England. And let's assume that the nat gas distribution companies like Unitil and Liberty Utilities will use the new supply to expand their systems to bring nat gas to more homes and businesses. See links below.

Kinder Morgan Northeast Expansion Project Open Season

The Northern Pass

Old 12-13-2014, 11:33 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
I don't have any objection to the pipeline, but do object to unfounded claims such a pipeline will ever result in more NH homes being connected to natural gas.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:27 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,421,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I don't have any objection to the pipeline, but do object to unfounded claims such a pipeline will ever result in more NH homes being connected to natural gas.
Although a pipeline usually wouldn't do anything for a consumer as that would be up to the local utilities, it's very likely if they run into resistance getting it in, the bribery machine will work it's magic and the pipeline company may subsidize the local utilities to run mains to homes for "free". Kinda like how when asphalt plants go places they go door to door asking their wonderful new neighbors if they want new driveways.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:06 PM

The New England governors are solidly behind bringing in new supplies of natural gas to the region to increase its competitiveness and reduce energy cost for homes and businesses. Spectra Energy is also planning new pipeline capacity into New England. See link below.

New England Energy Reliability Solution - Spectra Energy

The name of the game in our economic system is growth. In order for public utilities to grow their businesses, they must hook up new customers. With an increased natural gas supply, gas distribution utilities will finally be able to expand their systems. If nat gas were available on your street, wouldn't you throw out the old oil burner and/or stinky wood stove and hook up to clean and cheap nat gas?

Old 12-13-2014, 04:10 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,429 times
The thing is, they are proposing tearing up conservation land in Hollis to do it.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I live about 1/4 mile from a "new" natural gas line that primarily supplies the Bow Power plant and the turbine electric plant near Manchester airport. It was a replacement for a nearly rusted out very small and very old pipeline.

As far as I know no one in Londonderry not already on a natural gas service benefitted from this new pipe. I do not expect this proposed line will improve New Hampshire's fuel shortage in any way. This pipe is designed to link up to an existing pipeline along the coast of Maine through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia to feed a gas liquification plant so it can be shipped to the rest of the world. This benefits the owners of the gas fields and transmission lines at our expense without any compensation. I think the people living in the towns crossed by the pipeline, as well as most of the rest of NH, should be compensated by forcing the companies at their expense to provide natural gas service to the residents.

My other objection is to exporting ANY of out petroleum resources to the rest of the world. Petroleum, including Natural Gas, recovered in this country should be reserved for use in this country even if this cuts the market for the producers. Reducing their production just means it will take longer to use up the gas in the formations. Any case not recovered will just stay in the ground until it needs to be used by Americans. That is us.

As I do not own any part of any of the companies involved their profitability or not is none of my concern. Even if they go broke the gas they found will still be there. If the send it overseas it will not.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I live about 1/4 mile from a "new" natural gas line that primarily supplies the Bow Power plant and the turbine electric plant near Manchester airport. It was a replacement for a nearly rusted out very small and very old pipeline.
The Merrimack Power Station (Bow) is coal fired. They may have an auxilliary gas turbine there. That pipeline was from an existing New England line, not a new supply line from outside New England.

U.S. regulations don't permit export of crude oil but refined products (gasoline, heating/diesel oil, feedstocks, etc.) can be exported. That's why fuel oil is so expensive- a lot of it is exported to Europe where most cars run on diesel and for home and commercial heating.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:02 PM

9,088 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think the people living in the towns crossed by the pipeline, as well as most of the rest of NH, should be compensated by forcing the companies at their expense to provide natural gas service to the residents.
I would fully support the pipeline project if part of the deal was to add gas lines for some local customers across the southern New Hampshire cities and towns. Presently I am somewhat torn on the issue.

What I do not like are the blowhards down in MA fighting against this latest new proposal through NH. They fought and removed the line from central MA and that was their right. However they have no business interfering with our decision making process. NH citizens should be able to debate the merits of the project without interference from the people in those MA towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire