Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 01:16 PM

77 posts, read 124,825 times

Advertisements

Consider visiting March ~5-8th. Liberty Forum You may decide to move even sooner than you thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 06:34 PM

96 posts, read 175,708 times
I moved up last year from El Paso! My guy retired after 24 years and we moved to the FAR north! Winter here is frickin' cold, but I am loving it!

Old 01-23-2015, 06:32 AM

444 posts, read 582,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsmama3 View Post
My boyfriend was in the Air Force for 12 years, and his favorite place in the US to set up camp when he was on leave was NH. We are raising our children and live in our hometown of Longview, TX but thinking we would like to relocate to NH when they are done with school in a few years. Any suggestions as to what town/city best to live? I have already been warned about the mosquitos, black flies, spiders, and ticks. The summers cannot be any hotter or muggier than TX and especially Houston, TX, which is where my family lives. I am ready for four seasons every year and a breath of "cold" air! We are both nurses. Input anyone? He has traveled all over the world and US. I have always lived in TX especially East Texas, so I am just a little nervous -- especially when y'all hear me talk!!
The difference between new englanders and southerners is that we "LOVE" the southern accent. It doesn't mean "SOUTHERNER" to us as it means "YANKEE" or "DAMN YANKEE" to many southerners. Culturally things are going to be different. You'll find that not as many people hold doors for you, are in a big rush, wont talk to you in a line at the store...but hell, that is what is happening down south now anyway as all the NY and NJ people move here. I am in NC and would not want to move back to NH. Yes it is beautiful, but it is not utopia, just like NC didn't turn out to be utopia like everyone made it out to be. Sounds like your guy has some fond memories of NH during some beautiful summer days. Spend some time here in the winter and see how you like it. I bet you would miss TX...you will always miss your home...

Old 01-23-2015, 07:07 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT'ah View Post
The difference between new englanders and southerners is that we "LOVE" the southern accent. It doesn't mean "SOUTHERNER" to us as it means "YANKEE" or "DAMN YANKEE" to many southerners. Culturally things are going to be different. You'll find that not as many people hold doors for you, are in a big rush, wont talk to you in a line at the store...but hell, that is what is happening down south now anyway as all the NY and NJ people move here. I am in NC and would not want to move back to NH. Yes it is beautiful, but it is not utopia, just like NC didn't turn out to be utopia like everyone made it out to be. Sounds like your guy has some fond memories of NH during some beautiful summer days. Spend some time here in the winter and see how you like it. I bet you would miss TX...you will always miss your home...

This may, or may not be true. I grew up in Northern New Jersey and have never missed it. I avoid going back there at all costs. On the other hand, my family also had a house on Martha's Vineyard and I spent every Summer there growing up. Now that I miss and will always miss.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:52 AM

223 posts, read 540,251 times
my late wife and I moved from Houston to NH in 2000. She wanted seasons and we have four balanced seasons here and much less crime etc.

you will get use to the climate and soon be as uncomfortable at certain times here as you are in TX.

worth the move - an experience of a life time

paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire