U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 01:39 PM

1,775 posts, read 7,202,774 times

Advertisements

My niece sent me this video from youtube Happens to be someone they knew who owned the truck only to get it to shore and have this happen...

YouTube - Cedar Pond Milan NH

Article in newspaper: Ice conditions are unpredictable as Shawn Maddalena from Milan learned the hard way. Maddalena started
off his day on Sunday hoping to catch his limit of smelt at Cedar Pond. After setting up his bob house someone
noticed his truck tilting, he immediately jumped in the truck and tried to drive it off the pond. It was too
late and the truck sunk to the bottom. Luckily Maddelena narrowly escaped through the cab window. There
was a large group of people who were hired to retrieve the truck on Monday, including divers, loggers, and
a skidder operator. The deep snow covering the ice has made unsafe ice conditions. All the bob houses were
moved off the ice, until colder temperatures arrive.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 05:01 PM

215 posts, read 509,810 times
Danielle,

I know exactly were this is!!!! I looked at a cottage/camp on that pond, it's a nice spot . Always see fish huts on the pond there. We usually go down by the dam on the Androscoggin to ice fish (brown trout).I think it's still a little early to be driving on the ice, but people are setting up their campers anyway.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebrook View Post
Danielle,

I know exactly were this is!!!! I looked at a cottage/camp on that pond, it's a nice spot . Always see fish huts on the pond there. We usually go down by the dam on the Androscoggin to ice fish (brown trout).I think it's still a little early to be driving on the ice, but people are setting up their campers anyway.

I used to go swimming at that pond when i was a kid. But yes, most people wait until February when the coldest part of winter has come already. I was never one who liked to be on the iced over ponds. My brother would take me on Acres pond where he lived all the time with the snowmobiles and i would just go as fast as i could (with my eyes barely open) just to get across and hope i made it without falling in.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:06 PM

6 posts, read 13,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
I used to go swimming at that pond when i was a kid. But yes, most people wait until February when the coldest part of winter has come already. I was never one who liked to be on the iced over ponds. My brother would take me on Acres pond where he lived all the time with the snowmobiles and i would just go as fast as i could (with my eyes barely open) just to get across and hope i made it without falling in.
Actually people are out there much sooner than that in northern NH. Problem this year was the amount of snow and how early we got it. It acted as an insulation for the ice and the ice never got thick

Old 01-11-2008, 10:33 AM

625 posts, read 2,217,883 times
Add snowmobiling to that list. A few guys were tooling around last winter on the lake when they realized they weren't on ice anymore. Granted, you can go quite a ways skimming if you're going fast enough--and these guys went THREE MILES.

Well, two of them did, anyway.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
Add snowmobiling to that list. A few guys were tooling around last winter on the lake when they realized they weren't on ice anymore. Granted, you can go quite a ways skimming if you're going fast enough--and these guys went THREE MILES.

Well, two of them did, anyway.
My brother scared me once. I was on a snow machine following him on his and he knew the ice was still thick under about 6" of slush but didn't tell me. He took me right through the middle of it and i thought i was done. Scared the poop out of me. I'm petrified of deep water to begin with forget freezing cold water. That's my brother though. Always pulling a fast one on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire