Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:36 PM

3 posts, read 5,850 times

Advertisements

I am looking to Move to New Hampshire from Florida.Where would the best place to live on a 20k a year income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 12:10 AM

176 posts, read 298,886 times
An apartment with a roommate in a sweetheart deal? Preferably in Manchester within walking/biking distance of your terrible retail job. 20k is not going to get you far in most of NH.

Why do you want to make such a drastic move, what do you do for work, what did you think you will find here that's so appealing? That will help us to advise you better. Just a poverty-level income doesn't help much at all.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:36 AM

77 posts, read 124,855 times
You also added 'snow' to the title but provided no indication in the message body about what aspect of snow you wanted to discuss. Are you interested in living up in the mountain area as a ski instructor and so you'd like to know where the most snow is or do you want to live someplace with as little snow as possible?

Old 02-06-2015, 05:53 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Have you visited New Hampshire before? Would you be making this move on your own? Are you responsible for anyone other than yourself? This is not a move to be taken lightly, as a 20k income will not get you far in ANY part of New Hampshire. The areas that have the most affordable housing also are lacking in jobs that pay enough to survive. Many apartments do not cover the cost to heat, so you will be paying this on your own,and keep in mind that winter can seem very long when the snowstorms continue for what seems like months on end (hard to believe that 2 weeks ago we had barely any snow on the ground, and now we can barely see to get around corners-and more snow coming over the weekend, and early next week).

Long story short: New Hampshire simply does not have the safety nets to provide assistance like many other states do. Some folks do move here on a shoestring and survive. We had one member move from Texas, camped through the 1st winter, had a rental for the next few, and relocated shortly after. Please give this one a lot of thought!

Old 02-06-2015, 09:19 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislex View Post
I am looking to Move to New Hampshire from Florida.Where would the best place to live on a 20k a year income?
with all the snow we got, make an igloo

or live under a bridge.

seriously though: I live on around 20K a year even though I make more than double that. you wont be living the lavish life but you should be fine. get roommates. it can be done if youre single. I am talking about Manchester here.

anyone who says otherwise is a spendthrift living beyond their means

Last edited by StAcKhOuSe; 02-06-2015 at 09:36 AM..

Old 02-07-2015, 07:19 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Default NH has (one of) the lowest poverty rates in the country, because it's cheaper to move than stay here

It's certainly possible to live in Florida on almost no money. You can "sleep rough" most of the year without risking death by hypothermia and coyote attack, and food literally grows on trees.

Why leave Florida? And why move to a cold state with a high cost of living?

Quote:
seriously though: I live on around 20K a year even though I make more than double that. you wont be living the lavish life but you should be fine. get roommates. it can be done if youre single. I am talking about Manchester here. anyone who says otherwise is a spendthrift living beyond their means
With no car, no house, no hobbies, and multiple roommates, I could live on 20K a year in New Hampshire, but I wouldn't enjoy such a life.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:44 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Seriously, what is with all the Floridians wanting to move to New Hampshire? It's bizarre.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:05 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
Seriously, what is with all the Floridians wanting to move to New Hampshire? It's bizarre.
Have you been reading the news coming out of Florida lately? There's a lot of crazy going on down there. I don't blame those folks for heading due north and not stopping til they hit the Canadian border.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:06 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
It's certainly possible to live in Florida on almost no money. You can "sleep rough" most of the year without risking death by hypothermia and coyote attack, and food literally grows on trees.

Why leave Florida? And why move to a cold state with a high cost of living?

With no car, no house, no hobbies, and multiple roommates, I could live on 20K a year in New Hampshire, but I wouldn't enjoy such a life.
k, well have fun paying more in property taxes than i do in rent.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 5,850 times
Sorry so vague in my original post;I am a divorcee.Children are grown and in military.My girlfriend is moving with me,but I'm trying not to rely on her income which is much more than mine,because after a rough divorce,I want to be able to survive without any assistance.Just picked New Hampshire ,because of the beauty and the seasons.Just learning photography and thought this would be a nice State.Just to answer why any one would want to leave Florida.Think about how cold your winters are and flip it.The coldest day of the year in Tampa this year was 37F.I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.Summers are a literal sauna.Crime is terrible,and I don't know what you've heard ,but rent is not cheap.I was also advised on a different page,if I liked the area(Northeast),so much,to try and live in a Vermont town close to New Hampshire.I guess Vermont is cheaper living and New Hampshire is cheaper shopping?Both our jobs are done online,so location in the state is not an issue.I guess being ex military,Live free or Die kinda stuck with me.Thanks to everyone for the input.God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire