Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 07:38 PM

8 posts, read 11,210 times

Advertisements

Hi, apologies in advance for the long winded post. Need to give you guys some background info in order for you to give me advice (in which I hope you will)

Me: Straight white male, 39 years old. Self employed (very small company)

First off let me state that I'm NOT your average "surfer dude, liberal, holier than thou" Southern Californian. I tend to hold Libertarian/conservative values and I'm just tired of this state (lived here all my life). I turn 40 this year and I have identified a few things about California that I cannot accept any longer:

- illegal immigration (it's out of control)
- high housing costs
- earthquakes (yes I realize East Coast has earthquakes...but California has "the big ones")
- high taxes (both personal and corporate)
- traffic/over crowding
- bad attitudes (the "fake" personalities)
- ongoing drought
- weather is getting hotter and hotter every year, I like the cold better.
- job market sucks

So I was told that New Hampshire is a libertarian state. I don't vote (long story) but if I did, I would probably be "libertarian" or republican or a bastardization thereof.

I'm looking for the following:

City that has "open spaces" (not over-developed), yet has all the amenities (national supermarkets/malls or stores for clothes and all the basic stores we take for granted). I don't like "big city/downtown" living. I like the out doors. I'm in the tech industry and it would be nice to meet others in my field.

"I'm not a racist, but....." I'd like to move as far as humanly possible away from the illegal aliens and their offspring. I have just had multiple negative experiences with them over my lifetime here in California. I'm not looking for a "diverse" area to move to. It is what it is.

I'm 39 and single, so looking for an abundance of women to choose from. A city with a good job market (on the off chance I want to get a job in the tech industry or any other for that matter...I have a long resume and can do a wide variety of jobs, mostly managerial).

I'm physically active and love to run/hike/fish/hunt/bike/etc.

Someone recommended Nashua and Manchester. Ideally I would locate myself by the ocean, but not sure if rent is too high or there are any cities that match my requirements by the sea? I can do inland if need be.

And finally, yes I know it snows in NH. It's not ideal, but the current issues I'm facing in California (as listed above) are more than enough for me to try to brave -20 degree winters and snow.

Thanks if you guys/gals can point me in the right direction.

Also: I realize the old adage "wherever you go, there you are" applies....and I have done some real soul-searching over the past 2 years (contemplating moving out of state) and I'm 100% confident that "it's not me" is the reason why I'm unhappy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 07:44 PM

And follow-up question:

What's the average cost of monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment or a small home?

I'm on Craigslist now and found a massive 3,000 sq ft. apartment for only $900/mo. That has to be a typo? Or maybe a few murders occurred there? Or it's haunted?

I'm currently paying $2,250/mo. in rent for a 2 bedroom apartment and I have no idea why.....

Old 02-12-2015, 08:18 PM

631 posts, read 749,216 times
I have to say, I pretty much have exactly the same views. I'm leaving Modesto, CA for all of the same reasons. From what I've read, the apartments are often around $700-$1000 a month often with amenities such as washer/dryer.

Based upon my research paper and well over 65 scholar resources, the water situation is going to be more than an inconvenience in a few more years.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
I have to say, I pretty much have exactly the same views. I'm leaving Modesto, CA for all of the same reasons. From what I've read, the apartments are often around $700-$1000 a month often with amenities such as washer/dryer.

Based upon my research paper and well over 65 scholar resources, the water situation is going to be more than an inconvenience in a few more years.
I read an article that says they're considering rationing water in Southern California later this year.

So you're moving to NH as well, or are you considering?

I'm currently in the research phase.

It looks like a nice area....lots of water and trees and 4 seasons. I just want to make sure it isn't a fantasy.

Today it was 84 degrees and I had to run my air conditioner. I'm sitting in my upstairs home office and it's hotter than hell. It's February and it should be cold, not hot.

I'd imagine the novelty of the snow would get real old, real quick....but it's part of life and small price to pay to be able to live in a normal state.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:53 PM

631 posts, read 749,216 times
I have to sleep with an air conditioner on, almost every night. In the summer (valley), it's about 80-90 F even at 2am.

I'm not considering, it's guaranteed. I don't care who I have to get through to get out of here, what's the point in wasting my time getting an education here for a state that doesn't have much of a future left? Granite State College is guaranteed, UNH is a maybe.

Watch the freestateproject video on youtube for some extra encouragement, a lot of people are not fond of the liberal infection here either. A small group of people from San Diego continues to move to New Hampshire as well. I don't see any chance of things getting better in California anytime soon, might as well take our chances elsewhere.

I'm still working on my mother who barely holds 2-3 days a week working as a Dental Hygienist, she had to resort to flipping houses. Nobody hires anymore without you speaking Spanish or driving 2 hours north. That's ridiculous in my opinion.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:18 AM

77 posts, read 124,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingCAforgood View Post
And follow-up question:

What's the average cost of monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment or a small home?

I'm on Craigslist now and found a massive 3,000 sq ft. apartment for only $900/mo. That has to be a typo? Or maybe a few murders occurred there? Or it's haunted?

I'm currently paying $2,250/mo. in rent for a 2 bedroom apartment and I have no idea why.....
I recommend moving and getting someplace you consider temporary and spend a few months getting to know the various regions of the state before picking a spot. That will also allow you to align your desires for living with available jobs. Perhaps I am spoiled but I like my 5-10 minute commute to work.

Rents/property costs in NH are generally lower than places like CA and NY but certainly higher than many of the southern states.

You could certainly rent a nice large place on the sea coast (e.g. Portsmouth) for less than your current rent (not much less) or even a full size home in portsmouth for around the same price you are currently paying.

Places like Nashua & Manchester are only about an hour from the sea coast. You'll find rents have a little bit of a U shape to them in the band stretching from Nashua/Manchester over to the coast. If you live half way in between you might find better deals.

I've seen very nice 3-4 bedroom homes for rent in Merrimack (almost half way between Nashua and Manchester) for around $2100 with typical apartments in complexes for around half that.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
As always I suggest buying a copy of the DeLorme "New Hampshire Atlas and Gazetteer". This is a book of large format maps and lots of other information. It is available from amazon.

I also suggest you visit the place in both summer and winter. Maybe not this winter as I have more snow on my garden and yard than I have ever seen. and we are expecting another 1 to 2 feet over the weekend as well as low temperatures well below zero.

My initial response to your request is Portsmouth on the coast. The area is pricy compared to the rest of NH but cheap compared to southern California.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:53 AM

818 posts, read 1,017,266 times
Don't think anywhere in NH will meet your requirements. Think you will have much better luck in Maine or Vermont.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:52 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingCAforgood View Post
I'm 39 and single, so looking for an abundance of women to choose from. A city with a good job market (on the off chance I want to get a job in the tech industry or any other for that matter...I have a long resume and can do a wide variety of jobs, mostly managerial).
This part of your requirements will be tough to meet.

NH is pretty good otherwise, but opportunities for work and romance are limited here.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:15 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Don't think anywhere in NH will meet your requirements. Think you will have much better luck in Maine or Vermont.
I agree with the first part, but not the second.

The OP still seems to want some semblance of "city" and in VT/ME that boils down to Portland or Burlington, both of which lean liberal. Maybe not a CA brand of liberal exactly, but not really at all libertarian. And even the NH seacoast generally leans liberal as well.

Add in the desire for chain stores and a job market, and personally I'd say the OP's best bet is probably in/around the Salem-Manch-Nashua triangle. And with some willingness to commute you have the local jobs markets plus 128/Boston as employment options.

You'd get even more conservative moving north to Franklin, but not exactly a booming job or commercial market up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire