Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 01:20 PM

47 posts, read 83,265 times

Advertisements

I've been planning a move to Maine later this year (but definitely way before winter! ZOMG!) and posted on that forum awhile, but recently started looking toward NH as it has (on paper, in theory) much more potential in what I'm looking for.

Downside is I've spent about a year researching Maine exclusively and don't really want to delve that long into NH - I'm running out of time. Can you give me any feedback on Life there?

For me, widowvorced single mom of a homeschooled 16 y/o, self employed but will need other local work until I can re-launch where we put down roots. I'm definitely interested in getting involved in local business, networking, meeting lots of new people, and I'm good with the gun/pot/crypto sorts, but I'm not a part of the counter culture. I did have a look at that one video of 101 reasons to move to NH and all about about 2 of them were perfect, and it made me consider broadening my horizons a bit.

I do want to be near the ocean so I suppose that's strictly southern NH. I'm not interested in Mass. though *might* get up the gumption to check it out way down the road. Nothing about it appeals to me. I prefer medium sized locales with up to 50k-60k.

Oh, I'm also an atheist, Transhumanist, and take some good from most of the political platforms. I opted out of the whole political thing years ago when Bush was selected for a second term. That's when it came clear American politics is a fraudulent joke and I opted out. I'm for small government, especially out of my business and not telling me what to do. I'm a grown up, I don't need (nor intend to follow) a leader, I can manage myself just fine. That said, I do feel government should be involved at least in providing services for those who can't, who fall on hard times, etc. and not just make it excruciatingly difficult to get back on solid ground. Then again I'd like to abolish the US Government and let the people take the power. I'm sick of all politicians.

On the personal front, I enjoy writing, exploring scenic places, camping, learning new things, visiting historical places (along with abandoned, creepy places), I love games and gaming, community events, seafood, sex, and sunshine. I want a place that's safe and where my son can get out and meet new friends again - kids who are decent and not ones that'll get him thrown in jail. I want him to have fun for a change...he's been through so much hardship in the last 4 years, he needs a break and a new happy life.

So do I, for that matter.

Not big on apocalyptic weather but will face it and adapt.

Can you suggest areas in NH that might be to our liking that I can research more?

Thank you, kindly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 01:59 PM

223 posts, read 540,292 times
Maine is sort of off the beaten path. You don't 'pass through' maine on your way to other places (generally). Sort of the end of the line. Southern NH is $$$ - it gets cheaper as you go north.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:42 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Seems like a Don Quixote quest.

The grass is always greener.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:43 PM

193 posts, read 534,156 times
NH leans more smaller-government than Maine, but that battle is probably lost in the long run. Neither state will ever shrink government, short of an economic cataclysm, so it's a question of which is slower growing it.

Maine has more coastline than NH, so it won't be quite as expensive to put yourself by the ocean.

Good friends who won't land your son in jail, well chances of that unfortunately do align with socioeconomic factors. We homeschool but live in a town with a decent school system, for that reason. 30 years ago, I would say that you probably want to stay away from Kittery and Rochester, but times change and that may no longer be the case.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:54 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiPrice View Post
I'm not interested in Mass. though *might* get up the gumption to check it out way down the road. Nothing about it appeals to me. I prefer medium sized locales with up to 50k-60k.
OP, you already indicate you are not interested in Massachusetts. Based on what you wrote in entirety I can emphatically say that investigating Massachusetts at a later date is a complete waste of time. While you will find communities on the MA north shore that fit your population size, they will be incredibly expensive and the prevailing social attitudes will conflict with your values as outlined in your post.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:57 PM

176 posts, read 298,857 times
Having taken a peek at your postings to Maine, I'll say that you'll find similar issues here, people are not outgoing, and making friends will definitely be easier for your son. He will likely be miserable with the weather, losing his friends, and the lack of things for most young people to do around most of the state. Unless he likes camping, hunting, the one or two malls, and the occasional splurge trip to funspot, he'll be really bored, and probably turn to drinking and weed, like many NH teens.

That's something else to know, Northern NE is having a huge boom of heroin-and-meth related crime, usage, and overdoses. 16 is a fragile and experimental time, and especially if he's seen a !easy divorce, now may be a bad time to move him.

And I disagree with Atkinson, if you're a single mom, you'll need welfare, and that's easier to come by in Mass. Mass has quite a few lower-population towns in the western portions, with lovely woods and the same proximity to Boston as most of NH.

Are you sure this is a move for you and your son? Or just an attempt for you to escape a bad past? He is old enough that you should really consider getting his input into a move. While 16 year old boys are not very logical, he will still have feelings about big changes in his life, and is close enough to adulthood to start learning how to articulate his feelings and make major life decisions.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:07 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfheim View Post
And I disagree with Atkinson, if you're a single mom, you'll need welfare, and that's easier to come by in Mass. Mass has quite a few lower-population towns in the western portions, with lovely woods and the same proximity to Boston as most of NH.
My understanding was that the OP wanted to be near the coastline. That will not leave her any affordable options in MA. In NH she could consider the towns to the north and west of Dover and still be within a reasonable drive to the ocean either south to Hampton or east to York and Ogunquit.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:20 PM

176 posts, read 298,857 times
Aha, missed that. I'd still say need for assistance trumps travel time, and towns like Pepperell and Tyngsboro will be a bit more affordable, but still within an hour of the ocean. Depends, I suppose, if OP wants near, or "on", but saying near. Sounds like they may have the romantic idea of small, NE town that one sees in Nicholas Sparks movies, instead of the more expensive and traffic-laden realities.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:14 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamien View Post
.....you probably want to stay away from Kittery and Rochester, but times change and that may no longer be the case.
Rochester is worse than ever.

Kittery, Eliot, etc.. is much, much wealthier now and is very good. You dont start seeing trouble until you get to South Berwick and its pretty low even there. Sanford is the worst most southern Maine town.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:01 AM

47 posts, read 83,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfheim View Post
Aha, missed that. I'd still say need for assistance trumps travel time, and towns like Pepperell and Tyngsboro will be a bit more affordable, but still within an hour of the ocean. Depends, I suppose, if OP wants near, or "on", but saying near. Sounds like they may have the romantic idea of small, NE town that one sees in Nicholas Sparks movies, instead of the more expensive and traffic-laden realities.

OR

I'm UNFAMILIAR with NH and tried to provide a good base for what I'm looking for to help locals assist me with some locations that might be compatible with those things. I think you're quite the presumptuous sort for just assuming you know my basis for relocating. Sounds like you fancy yourself some kind of forum shrink, the worst kind - reads 4 sentences and thinks you have somebody pegged and don't know squat.

I have zero ideas about New Hampshire because I've never been there, never looked into it, have no idea what it's like HENCE the questions. Not too difficult for most people to comprehend. Why not you?

I asked for compatible places NEAR the coast (so I don't need to drive an hour to a beach if we want to go) that would be compatible to my lifestyle. I said squat about welfare, and what's with you people and welfare anyway? Are you all so uptight and anal that you have a friggin meltdown if somebody needed welfare? What *******s. Who cares? It'll be amusing WHEN - not IF - you end up needing it and then a bunch of snot nosed idiots decide you've got some sort of issue because you need help. Some people need it. Get over yourself. You're not entitled to anything, either.

I am self employed. But I have to relaunch where we move and revamp a few things because it's a hyper local business. Meanwhile I will need work somewhere.

Now, back to the damn question - places to research?

Damn some people on this forum are SUCH pompousasses, can't stay on a topic...have to indulge their own fantasy lives and derail everything. Jeezus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire