Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:45 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times

Advertisements

Pelham starts voluntary registry. Sounds like the noblest of motives, but still a horrible idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-Tribune
The police department in the town of Pelham, New Hampshire, has started a voluntary registry to help people with mental or developmental disabilities. The Eagle Tribune reports family members and caregivers can create a confidential file with information about those with disabilities, such as schizophrenia, dementia and autism. The department has a three-page questionnaire that requests information about the best way to approach the individual with the disability. Questions include whether the person fears public safety personnel, what hospital they use and if there are triggers that would incite reactions. Police are inviting the public to the station Saturday, March 28, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., to fill out a questionnaire and receive an identification card with a photo, emergency contact and name.
No, no privacy/HIPAA implications here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 12:29 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,216,321 times
Never invite the man in to your life.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:56 PM

19,799 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Pelham starts voluntary registry. Sounds like the noblest of motives, but still a horrible idea.

No, no privacy/HIPAA implications here!
Shows how far we have come (down) as a nation that something that I think would strike most people 50 years ago as GOOD and helpful is now looked upon with (perhaps justifiable) suspicion.

Sad.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:00 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,732,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
Never invite the man in to your life.
True dat

Old 03-18-2015, 04:29 AM

383 posts, read 397,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Shows how far we have come (down) as a nation that something that I think would strike most people 50 years ago as GOOD and helpful is now looked upon with (perhaps justifiable) suspicion.

Sad.

I agree, very sad.

Lou

Old 03-18-2015, 09:01 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Default The registry is called S.O.A.R., Special Outreach and Resource.

Quote:
Could be worse, at least S.O.A.R. is voluntary. I suppose it is better than assuming town cops just know these things from their years in the community, or the off-the-books dossiers kept by many city police forces.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:33 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Well there have been several tragic situations recently in the news where the police killed someone who was mentally ill who couldn't understand their requests to calm down and talk to them. Presumably, if the police knew that someone had a mental handicap, that person would be treated with more patience and understanding. But whatever, keep that sort of information a big secret.

Bipolar teen's death in police station highlights rift between cops, mentally ill

Quote:
While there is no official data on police shootings in the U.S., last year more than a dozen encounters between police and mentally ill civilians ended with the civilian being fatally shot — and those are just the deaths that made the news.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:04 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,547 times
Yeah.. sure private and confidential..uh huh

Old 03-20-2015, 05:23 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Yeah.. sure private and confidential..uh huh
So what? What's to hide anyway? Why would you try to pass off someone with a serious mental disability as a normal full functioning human being? And in most small towns, all the locals know the real story. Obviously, the days of friendly Mayberry RFD are long gone, and it's really a shame.

If someone in my household had serious issues with Alzheimers, autism or schizophrenia,... or if they were completely deaf I'd have no problems with my local police department knowing. But if it were a mild case of mental ailment, then I wouldn't bother.

When we first moved into our NH house, one night we saw a police cruiser coming up our driveway to look around the back of our barn. It didn't bother us since we knew that our house had been empty for 14 years and we felt they used to patrol our property for vagrant activity. Now they never drive into our property at night because everyone knows that the house is occupied. Also last year, when my boyfriend was having some target practice, a cruiser did visit again. A neighbor had called to report hearing gunshots. The officer was cool with the setup and even did a little target practice himself with his revolver.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:10 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,547 times
your naivety is amazing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire